Batch 19 | Coors Brewing Company

Reviews: 241 | Ratings: 1,262
Reviews by DougT:
3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

Sample bottle from the brewery, they are launching draft only for now ... not sure if they are ever going to bottle / can it.

Bubbly sea foam head, perfectly clear golden color. Fresh graininess leans towards a more rustic dried grass aroma with a kiss of hops in the back. Refreshing crisp bite enhances the graininess, a little rough around the edges. Hop bitterness is sharp and cuts through most of the malt. On the dry side and relatively clean.

Good drinking, reminds me of some of the retro-beers that are all the rage right now. That is a big hint to the MillerCoors marketing department ... tall boy cans, crack into the hipster crowd and this beer might actually make it.

3.16/5  rDev -7.6%

Mowing the lawn beer. a thirst quencher with no complexity. Cheap though, 80 cents a bottle here.

3.15/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I drank a lot of these when they were available, it really does taste like an old recipe, I wonder if the original Coors recipe was this tasty before all the adjuncts and cost cutting. It's among the best looking American lagers from the big brewers, taste is complex and grainy, smells slightly sour like most lagers to me, but if it's ever available again, I recommend giving it a shot.

4.31/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer to date. I'm a history guy so when I saw a pre-prohibition style lager, I had to get it. Could not be happier with the decision. Good color, wasn't a fan of the smell because I didn't realize that the first batch I picked up was way past the suggested date. It still tasted great though. Then had to buy a new batch not past the date and it was even better. Can't believe it's made by Coor's. Thanks a lot, Prohibition, for making this delicious beer disappear for almost a century

3.44/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark Golden/Brown. Doesn't look like any adjunct I've seen in a long time.
Smell: Smells more like a Sam Adams Boston Lager than an adjunct. I'm expecting a bitter taste based on smell and look.
Taste: OK. I was wrong. Not really that bitter at all, but it is there a very little in the aftertaste.
Feel: A little more body than a regular adjunct but not heavy or gritty.
Overall: I've been drinking beer for about 35 years and I think I know why people like this beer. It tastes like American beer did 35 years ago, before the macro brewers watered down what was already an adjunct beer. It tastes like an old school American Beer before rice and corn totally replaced malt and hops. I serious doubt this tastes like pre-prohibition beer, more like the late 70's, early 80's beer I grew up on.

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Buffalo Wild Wings. It pours a deep amber color with really, really nice clarity. A surprisingly long-lasting cap rests on top; bone-white in color and pretty frothy in appearance, it leaves a nice, solid sheet of lace around the top of the beer. All in all, a very nice beer to look at, especially when compared to something like a regular Coors beer.

My least favorite thing about the aroma is the lack of power all around. It's heavily subdued and muzzled, with only a slight twinge of grains, malt sweetness, and some faintly metallic, dry and musty Noble hops. Perhaps a hint of wheat in the finish... is this beer made with wheat? I didn't think it was, but I could be wrong. Nothing offensive here, except for the overall impotence.

The first sip reveals a decent amount of citrus spritz and lemon zest which is actually a welcomed addition. A backbone of grains is immediately appreciated; lightly sweet with a subtle hop bitterness that washes over everything. The hops are somewhat ashy and musty and even a touch "stale", so I'm sticking with my original guess of some type of Noble hop.

Again, I'm picking up a little bit of wheat from mid-palate into the finish - it's actually pretty soft and relaxing and works perfectly with the citrus. The beer is light bodied, but still noticeably heavier than the slew of other macro lagers that you'll typically find. A nice, crisp, dry finish from the lager yeast closes things out.

I'm impressed in the way that I didn't hate this like I was expecting to. It's not something I'd ever go out of my way to order again, but if given the choice between this and your typical Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. products, I'd take this in a heartbeat. Quaffable to the max, though I wish the nose were a bit more lively to say the least.

3.47/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: A medium amber beer with excellent clarity, some enthusiastic bubbles and a creamy, off-white head.

S: A moderately-light earthy and somewhat herbal hops with a moderate malt character. There is a light caramel note in the malt and the occasional hint of the metallic hops note. Other than that a clean, simple nose.

T: The flavor is dominated by a balance of moderate malt sweetness, medium-light hops bitterness and a moderate earthy and fruity hops flavor. The malt brings a light caramel character with overall malt being slightly stronger than the hops giving a balance that is a somewhat towards the malt. The finish is crisp with a brief hops bitterness aftertaste and a light fruit character.

M: A creamy medium bodied lager with a medium level of carbonation.

O: An all malt lager with a balance of enjoyable hop character. A good example of a style I really get to enjoy outside of home brewing circles.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%

1.75/5  rDev -48.8%

2.73/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

4.87/5  rDev +42.4%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color with a thin white head, good amount of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, sugars, rice, malts, and some hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Light to medium bodied and very smooth. Taste sweet with hints of malts, rice and hops. Little bit of alcohol maybe.

Overall: Exceptional adjunct lager! I certainly was not expecting it to be that good, but I enjoyed every drop of that pint. If you see it, try it!

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company