Batch 19 | Coors Brewing Company

coors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Jason on 05-04-2010

Ratings: 1,264 |  Reviews: 242

Excellent beer! Love the bold flavor but not too bold. I have to admit the packaging caught my attention. My first beer since I have been off crutches and it was a great new choice. I was surprised to find out it was Coors. I AM NOW A FAN OF COORS. Keep on making Batch 19.
Thanks

My favorite beer that's dissapeared!

I'll cut to the chase here...

Coors took that bitter craft beer taste and made it drinkable. You can pound about 2 or 3 of these and not feel bloated or heavy like many crafts do. Coors found a way to commercialize the craft taste. So if you are in the mood for that more bitter beer, this is a great way to go. Don't let the beer snobs on here fewl you.

This is a fabulous medium-bodied, full-flavored lager. That really doesn't do it justice. I like IPAs when it's cold and Corona's and Beck's when it's hot. In other words, I like the hop flavor - not a sweet, malty beer guy. So, Coors reaches back into the archives and delivers a lager, which like it or not is what most Americans want to drink, and adds a lot of hop for this style of beer and still manages to pull off a malt flavor without being sweet. In my opinion, this is like a hoppy Sam Adams Lager. Now, I said I like IPAs and I know what I'm talking about here. This is not an IPA. But for those who want a really nice lager beer with a complex, hop taste this is the ticket. My biggest concern is that this just isn't going to sell enough to keep it on the shelves.
One more comment. Everybody has their taste preferences. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest and have probably tried more microbrews than most people think exist. Within the caveat that everybody likes something, most microbrew stuff is bilge. I like good beer whether it's a global brand or one cooked up in the neighbor's garage. If you're in the camp that says the big brewers can't possibly make great beer, well, as the saying goes, "no man is as blind as one who refuses to see" or taste in this case. The big brewers weren't always big which is still irrelevant. But, prior to prohibition they all had great recipes. Every once in a while they bring'em back and batch 19 is one of them. AB has done it in the past as well. So, if you're open-minded, not quite ready for an IPA but like a complex, hoppy flavored lager that will go great on a hot or cold day, give this a shot.

4.87/5  rDev +42.4%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color with a thin white head, good amount of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, sugars, rice, malts, and some hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Light to medium bodied and very smooth. Taste sweet with hints of malts, rice and hops. Little bit of alcohol maybe.

Overall: Exceptional adjunct lager! I certainly was not expecting it to be that good, but I enjoyed every drop of that pint. If you see it, try it!

4.66/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Multidimensional, complex yet not overwhelming, full but not heavy, Batch 19 is a real option for a satisfying upgrade/premium staple beer. As one who tries local beers whenever I have the chance, I'm frequently disappointed when I get into an establishment that doesn't have a variety (e.g. a chain restaurant like Applebees, Chilis, etc.). I typically end up ordering a Sam Adams but am not happy with the heaviness and sweetness. Likewise, as a go-to option at home when I want a good beer without things getting complicated, I want something much more than a mainstream pale ale but not something extremely craft. Something complex but mainstream. Batch 19 seems to be the right beer for this niche, as it is probably the most consistent high-quality pour beer out of a mainstream production. MillerCoors got craft brewing on a large scale right on this one.

4.56/5  rDev +33.3%

4.54/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle displays what appears to be a best by date: May 27, 2013.

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours copper with a thick, slowly dissipating white head. Some lacing is left on the side of the glass. The beer has a bready and sweet smell from the malt. The hops bring some grassy and citrus notes in the nose. The flavor is of bread with those grassy hops that add some nice bitterness and balance to this beer. I also get some of those citrus hop flavors and not as much corn flavor one would find in regular Coors. This is to be expected because there is much less corn used in this recipe than in regular Coors. There is some caramel sweetness that opens up during consumption as well. The body is light to medium with moderate carbonation. The beer finishes crisp and the drinkability is high. This is an excellent beer. The big boys aren't sitting tight in this market and this throwback recipe is an example of what they are capable of brewing.

4.52/5  rDev +32.2%