Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Batch 19 | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Jason on 05-04-2010

Ratings: 1,264 |  Reviews: 242
4.09/5  rDev +23.2%

Great reviews for a Coors product? I had to see for myself. The 6 pack was only $7 total. Hmm.

Pours a nice golden/copper with a huge white head into my glass. Very nice way to start and not what I usually associate with Coors.

Crisp with a good pine/citrus hop bite mated to bready malt. It smells closer to an actual pils as well.

Sweet and grainy with buttered bread and light citrus hop notes. Doughy. Though not quite a pils, it tastes very close to one.

No "metallic" aftertaste here. Light and fluffy with lingering buttered bread and citrus hops.

I have to admit, I'm impressed with this one. I didn't think that Coors had it in them to produce such a drinkable beer. It's really quite a shame that pre-prohibition lagers aren't attempted more often by BMC. They might win over some new drinkers in the process.

4.09/5  rDev +23.2%

One of the best beers from Coors I have had.

4.06/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer really surprised me.. and since then I've drank a ton of it... I actually buy it by the case... The look and taste are both good, but what got me the most was the smells as the beer warmed... you can literally smell the strongest floral smells I think I've ever smelled in a beer... it literally starts smelling like flowers are in the beer... The taste also gets more complex as the beer warms.. I recommend drinking this only slightly cold.. or take it out of the fridge and let it set for 10 mins or so... When I seen coors brewed this I couldn't believe it... At least someone over there knows wtf theyre doing, haha... Sure isn't the brewer coors light and that other crap beer they make... If you haven't tried this beer you should.

4.04/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful brownish gold color with a white head that barely lingers.

Smell: Smells clean with a heavy malt flavor. There is no off smell from the adjunct grains. Very light hops but that is expected from the noble hops used.

Taste: A solid malt beer with a hint of hops. A lot better than most lagers from the major breweries.

Mouthfeel: A light beer which is expected from a lager.

Overall: This is a winner from Coors.

4.02/5  rDev +21.1%

A standard pour of Coors' Batch 19 Lager yields a semi-viscous snow-white foam atop a golden-amber body. The flurry of medium-sized bubbles that exploded in the glass just after the initial pour quickly turns into a steady sheet of champagne-like army of tiny bubbles, equidistantly spaced, that race towards the top.

The nose is delightful. Moist hay, green apple cider, and elderflower spring to mind.

The taste follows the nose to a tee. The sour flavor of fermented green apples dominates. The bitter aromatics of elderflower and lavender emerge in the back end and are sustained throughout the beer's surprisingly long hang.

The value of a beer's mouthfeel is typically determined by considering the way in which it complements the beer's flavor. This is true here, too: the beer is light on the palate and allows its crisp, tart flavors of green apple to shine. But quick whirl around the tongue tosses up some of the frothiest, most pleasing foam my tongue has touched in a long time. Yes. That's what I call nearly perfect.

Coors' Batch 19 is the American macro-brewery's attempt to cash in on the recent explosion of craft brewing in the US. I purchased this bottle expecting not to like it. What a surprise. No. What a shock! For the first time, I'm nostalgic for the 19th century and looking forward to trying more of these "pre-prohibition" beers, which have been increasingly visible on the craft beer scene of late.

4.02/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a nice medium golden brown, clear, with some carbonation visible. A lot of foamy head on this that sticks around for a while, and never disappeares completely.

S: Pretty light on the smell. Some malt and bread aromas, but not a lot here.

T: Unlike the smell, there is a lot going on here. Has a nice malty, bread taste, complimented by a very nice hint of slight hoppy bitterness, and finishing with a moderate sweetness. Really very nice.

M: Mouthfeel also very good. Medium-bodied, slightly sticky, with just the right amount of carbonation.

O: I didn't realize until I brought this home that it was brewed by Coors, at which point I became quite skeptical. But this was a very nice surprise. The taste has a great amount of complexity and balance, and they nailed the mouthfeel. I could definitely see myself buying this again sometime.

Found bottled at Jubilation in Albuquerque.

Clear amber colored beer with a small white colored head. This is significantly darker than any current lager from a major American brewer.

Quite hoppy, you can smell it from quite a distance away. Scents of corn and toasted grain with a strong noble hop scent. Spicy hop with grass, hay and a herbal scent I can only describe as sassafras root.

Starts out mildly sweet with a sharp hop bite at the end. Pleasantly hoppy, not quite bitter though. Herbal hop bite tastes much like it smells.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a damn good lager! If Coors tasted like this I would drink it a lot more often than about once a year!

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company