Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Jason on 05-04-2010

Ratings: 1,264 |  Reviews: 242
3.81/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

For me, this was the beer that started it all. Before this prohibition style lager, I only knew of Yuengling, Pabst... Before this beer, I was just a kid. Of course I can only taste it now through a rose tinted straw, but I can remember handing a tenner to my friends the legal age, "go get that prohibition 19 stuff!" For the first time, I wasn't buying beer to get drunk, I just genuinely enjoyed the flavor. I would still kill a six by myself of course. I do hope they will bring it back again one day, for nostalgia's sake.

1.4/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

3.15/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I drank a lot of these when they were available, it really does taste like an old recipe, I wonder if the original Coors recipe was this tasty before all the adjuncts and cost cutting. It's among the best looking American lagers from the big brewers, taste is complex and grainy, smells slightly sour like most lagers to me, but if it's ever available again, I recommend giving it a shot.

3.6/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.6/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

3.75/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.53/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Meh! Nothing special here. Coors once again pretending to be something other than a macrobrew. Bland and uninteresting. Darker than normal for a lager, but aroma and taste are weak malt. Small creamy head but all else is average.

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice copper color with streaming bubbles and a quickly dissipating white head.

Smells of sweet malts and spring water.

Taste is sweet with toffee and caramel notes. Taste reminds me of a brown or amber ale.

Mouth feel is very refreshing with some sparkling carbonation on the tongue and a wet finish that really refreshes.

This is a real nice beer coming out of the Coors family that would pair well with a night out with friends.

2.7/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

3.67/5  rDev +10.5%

Look: A slight amount of sediment on the bottom of bottle, could be cold break, very clear, golden color with a slight amber hint to it. Not a very strong head, and faded away quickly. Looks about a 4 SRM.

Smell: initial malt, slight corn, very low hops,

Taste: stronger malt than a normal light american lager, balanced nicely with light bitterness. slight corn profile on the back of the tongue enhanced by the carbonation's acidity.

Feel: slight creaminess through out tongue, and carbonation is well balanced. initially slick and then very dry.

Overall: definitively better than their normal lager, and falls well into the light american lager profile with slightly more malt. Overall not a bad beer. I'd use it to convert friends from crap beer to craft.

3.43/5  rDev +3.3%

4.25/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear amber color with a small off-white head. The aroma is a good blend of hops and caramel malt. The taste is big on malt with a hint of hops a surprising flavor from Coors. I really enjoyed it.

2.89/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Coors Batch 19.

A gift from my long time drinking buddy Nick who I am slowly converting into the craft scene. I guess this supposed fancier than most lager is his way of telling me he is learning? who the hell knows. I've wanted to try this one oddly enough but $9.99 for a sixer of adjunct lager simply wasn't a trigger I would pull. Anyway, enough talking, let's see what we get.

Look - Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours an ever so slightly murked yellow with a quarter finger of head that quickly disappears before you can set the glass down to really get a look at it. Dies down to an ever breaking and ever reforming cloud formation amongst the top of the glass. Carbonation is extremely high, probably the highest I have ever seen in a beer which likely lends to the formations I had spoken of. Due to no retained head there will be no lacing. Next category.

Smell - To be quite honest this smells a lot like a bud light platinum and trust me I drank enough of them in my college years to know. Starts off with a chemical twitch followed by a high dosage of corny adjuncts along with white and dark rices. Corn flake cereal and dying hops that don't amount to anything. The malt bill is slightly there. Next category we go!.

Taste - At least the taste somewhat picks up. So far at least. The bread really pulls overtime here so long as the beer is ultra cold. Unfortunately it was able to warm just a bit and the adjuncts began running wild with their rice and corny fullness. BUT, where this beer separates is the bread does come back around here and there and makes it easier to drink. But my opinion of this flavor is that it isn't much different than most adjuncts.

Feel - Tge body is light to a lower level of moderate with a massive dosage of cold, tootg cutting carbonstion. The alcohol actually makes itself know here surprisingly and the beer swallows pretty easily although the chemical aspect noted in the nose comes through in the throat.

Overall - I have no clue what warrants the extra four dollars per four pack over your usual adjunct beers. It tastes much like any other adjunct, maybe a touch more flavorful. I wouldn't buy it myself, especially with much better beers being available in the category at much lower prices..

3.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this beer as part of a mix and match six pack at a local grocery store. Being a person interested in what Americans drank before the Volstead Act I was intrigued by something describing itself as a pre-prohition lager. Had I been careful enough to see that it is a Coors product, I wouldn't have bought it.

The beer's head is not all that impressive in that it doesn't develop into a fluffy dense layer of foam. It does however linger nicely, which may very well be the way that late 19th and early 20th century beers were.

The aroma of this brew is pretty hoppy. Not being a big fans of hoppy beers I found this the biggest drawback.

The flavor is pretty mild, and not nearly as hoppy as the aroma. This one would make a nice session beer.

The feel is okay, their really isn't much body.

Overall I think its an acceptable beer for what it is supposed to be. I might have had a more substantive experience with this beer had I been more informed on what pre-prohibition beers were really like. As I don't like purveyors of the watery crap that has given US beers a bad name I won't be buying this one again.

3.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.22/5  rDev +27.1%

3.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.95/5  rDev -11.1%

3.52/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company