Batch 19 | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Jason on 05-04-2010

Ratings: 1,264 |  Reviews: 242

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As a craft brew drinker I had my doubts about this beer. However, I will admit this was actually a very drinkable beer. Nice deep golden color with an herbal biscuit aroma. The right balance of hops and malt. Notes of caramel come through in the finish. This one was actually a good all around beer for me. If this is the beer they had during prohibition then the guys who broke the law to carry it have my salute of approval.

2.94/5  rDev -14%

Had this on draft poured into a special Batch 19 glass.

Dark to amber color in appearance, smell of hops and not much else. Taste was actually kind of plain which I was surprised about. Can definetly taste the hops but not much else. Good carbination as well, slight bitter after tatse but not overwhelming.

This beer was just OK I would drink it again but all of the things I have heard about it, and the hype around it I expected alot more it was just a regular beer. It is worth a try and it is a great attempt by Coors to branch out.

3.02/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Visually comes off glowing amber golden hued with flowing off white rocky textured head, thick bubbles forming as it settles down. Thick bands of lace settle along the sides of my glass, quite a nice looking brew from the folks at Coors. Aroma has a lingering citric, grassy hop nose amongst a clean mix of grain perceived sweetness, let the hops shine in this supposed recipe pre-prohibition 1919 lager. Definitely a nice smelling mix of barley, corn husks, cereal grains with hop appreciation showing some love from the bottles label it says strisselspalt and hersbrucker German hops. The alcohol weighs in pretty heavy in the flavor at first but settles into a mix of semi sweet bready grains and bitter green hoppy citrus rind and grassy accents. Not the best American brewed lager lingering flavors that don't work are bitterness from an almost plastic or burnt bread crust carbon flavor that I'm just not appreciating. Overall mouthfeel has ample carbonation but is a bit harsh with those lingering qualities that stick with you between sips, not a beer I'm looking to consume on a regular basis.

3.59/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Odd shaped twist off bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours out a deep golden to copper color with 2 fingers worth of white head off the pour that fades to a retentive ring. Pretty good lacing. Good clarity, but not really that crystal clear body you usually find in an adjunct lager. Maybe the best adjunct lager I've ever seen as far as looks go.

Clean, mineral water lager yeast, and hints of sweet grain. Maybe a slight hint of toasted grain.

Clean and a fairly good flavor for an adjunct lager. Sweet, lightly toasted grains, mineral lager yeast, and just enough of a faint hop to call this balanced.

Light bodied, but not at all watery like every other adjunct lager I've had. Same goes for the carbonation.

Very drinkable, quenches the thirst on a hot day. Definatly one of the better adjunct lagers I've had, but that's still not saying much. Would I buy it again, NO.

3.46/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from the local supermarket $7.07 for a sixer. Poured from bottle to pint glass. BBD: JUN 10 13.

Appearance: Honey-like golden amber, you can see right through this stuff. 1.5 finger head that dwindles down to a very thin surface layer of bubbles. light lacing.

Smell: Nothing offensive, I get sweet malt notes on the nose, Don't get the metallic or skunky aromas that others have noted. There really just isn't much here.

Taste: Slight hop bite upfront. Not bitter hops like in some american pale ales or IPAs but a light hop flavor that seamlessly twists into a moderately sweet wood-like finish on the back of your tongue. Not cloying like i feared it would be. finishes crisp.

Mouthfeel: This is what Coors did really well with this beer. Not too light, not too heavy, not overly carbonated nor under carbonated. It rolls right down your throat begging you to down a little more. (awesome for the style)

overall: I went into this beer with little in the way of expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Not saying this could be my go to beer because the style isn't really my first choice, but for what this is, It's pretty damn good. Not a bad value for the price (you could easily do much worse) I'll end this review saying: If you haven't tried batch 19 its worth a go, It could surprise you like it has me. Will I have it again? I will at least have 5 more as they are in my fridge. It's sure as shit not drain pour material.

CHEERS

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - dark copper with a thin, fluffy head that has solid retention

S - grains and grass

T - grains, grassy, mildly bitter finish

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This is definitely one of the best adjunct lagers that I have ever had. It has a pronounced hop character. It doesn't have any of the off flavors that plague the style like apples, metal, and the intensely sweet grains. It also has a tremendous mouthfeel that isn't grossly over carbonated as many macros can be. I could definitely sit down with a few of these and enjoy a game or family outting.

2.55/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Golden with accents of amber and light brown. Has a very clean clear look which to me just looks like it lacks some body. Slightly below average to average carbonation throughout.

Smell: Slightly sweet malt with a funky hop presence. Touches of amber, wheat, molasses, and prairie grass. Lacks a resounding presence though.

Taste: Crisp hop front. Some malt and yeast in the body which lack distinction. All flavors fade on the back half of this beer and leave almost nothing on the palette. Watery feeling is the lasting image left from this beer.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery.

Overall: Its not bad but not something I would go back to. Still has that big beer adjunct taste which I just cannot get past. But this beer is a step forward over their other products which shows some hope for the future.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company