Batch 19 | Coors Brewing Company

Added by Jason on 05-04-2010

Ratings: 1,264 |  Reviews: 242
3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This review was based on the beer within its style that is why it is higher than it would be if I were comparing it to craft beers.

A-Dark gold with thick off white head that lasts longer than expected and leaves some decent lacing

S-very muted, but kind of musty and generic

T-Malty with a hint of hops-it seems kind of soapy and slightly musty

M-very thick for the style and not as much carbonation as usual which is great

D-very drinkable beer indeed

Overall, this is considerably better than your typical American Adjunct Lager. Its much more flavorful and fuller bodied. You could definitely do worse.

3.18/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I found this at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $8.99 a 6 pack. Never heard of this Coor's product before, so picked it up more out of curiosity than anything else. 12oz brown bottles with no freshness date.

The beer pours a perfectly clear gold color with a big 4-finger white head that lasts awhile and leaves lots of nice lacing.

Some grain and some grass in the aroma, but overall not much of a smell.

It has a crackery malt base with a little corn sweetness to it along with a mild bitter hop bite.

Between light and medium in body with medium carbonation.

A decent effort from Coors.

I'll cut to the chase here...

Coors took that bitter craft beer taste and made it drinkable. You can pound about 2 or 3 of these and not feel bloated or heavy like many crafts do. Coors found a way to commercialize the craft taste. So if you are in the mood for that more bitter beer, this is a great way to go. Don't let the beer snobs on here fewl you.

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this at the Texas Roadhouse in York, served chilled in a pint.

The color is an apricot shade with light haze and thin white cap, retention is good. The smell is very gentle with mild malt sweetness and subtle floral hop aspects with a light spice ester. The feel is good with mild sweetness crisp medium bodied moderate carbonation and semi-dry finish.

I like the flavor while it has a slight pils sweetness it also has an herbal hop flavor which adds to the malt profile with a dry finish it is a pretty drinkable lager

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, best before 6/10/2013. Pours fairly crystal clear golden straw color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a lot of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of pear, apple, lemon, floral, grass, bready grain, cracker, light pepper, and yeast esters. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of malt, hop, and yeast esters; decent strength. Taste of lemon, apple, pear, floral, grass, bread, light pepper, cracker, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of light fruits, floral, grass, bread, cracker, and earthiness on the finish for a bit. Pleasant flavors with good balance of malt and hop flavors; with no cloying flavors present after the finish. Slight grainy astringency, but not bad. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good pale lager. Good malt/hop flavor balance; and very smooth to drink. A pleasantly enjoyable offering.

4.31/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been looking for a good drinkable/poundable lager for a long time (and NO, Guinness 'Black' is not the answer). Ales are too heavy in %alc, flavor and calories/carbs. This lays between a light pilsner and a run of the mill ale.

I got this by accident. If I'd seen it was a Coors product I'da left it on the shelf (I do drink Coors Light). Glad I didn't.

I poured it into an original old school Coors pilsner glass. The color is perfect, just golden amber brown and translucent.

the bubbles are fine and consistent. But not as fine as Guinness 'Draught'. It is not over carbonated either. Has perfect carbonation imo. You'd have to really screw up to get an overflowing head in a glass.

The flavor is rich with hops being the most notable flavor and then a floral/aromatic/sweet-ish flavor.

The after taste is subtle and good. This beer sips great 'til the last drop. Not sour or bitter. I did mention 'sweet', but NOT like a MGD.

I drink it from the bottle or poured into a glass. At 5.5% it's stouter than light pilsners, but much much tastier. This is a good dinner beer as it doesn't bloat.

I like this more than Guinness "Black". I will never buy Guinness "Black" again, but if you have a 'fridge or cooler full of it, I will pound it down.

However, it's a bit pricey considering its origin.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap at Village Pourhouse in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear honey yellow in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and dark golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy white head that slowly reduces to a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aroma of malts with grain and corn adjuncts - richer in aroma than Coors or Coors Light and there is almost a slight hint of honey sweetness.

T: Upfront there are some moderate flavors of malts with both corn and grain adjuncts (thought the corn is slightly stronger) and some light hints of toast. Light flavors of grassy and herbal hops that impart a light to moderate amount of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation. Crisp.

O: When I found this on tap at a place that did not have a lot of other interesting brews currently available, I said what the heck and decided to try it - expectations were pretty low but this is much better than the traditional BMC offerings and I could see myself getting it again when at a place that has a more limited craft tap list.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This comes in a light amber color.

The taste is quite amazing for an American Adjunct. It has some hop and fresh flavors that gives it a lot more pop than other beers in the style. It even tastes more like non-adjunct lager.

It's by far the best adjunct lager I've had. If you see this at the bar and the other options are bad, this is definitely worth trying out. It really shows that the style does not have to atrocious.

3.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Oh my, its sure has been a ling time since my last review. Been holding off due to the site changes. I'm an old school soul that takes dramatic change hard. The pace if technology, possibilities and constant changes with the many and complex social aspects creates a oroblem for me. I like to keep it simple, direct and personal. Sometimes you have to roll with it and adapt. Its only because i love the very foundation of what this site is based on do i bother to come back. Do i naturally like how the site looks, feels, operates now compared to say 2010...no. but who cares, ? I love beer, reviews and the work ut takes to create and maintain such a popular style site. Ih damn, its high time i review this beer currently getting warm because i'm typing in a tiny ass android key pad!

First off, i love the concept of historical recipes and beers brewed as such. I love historu and im an old soul in a young body. For sure.

The look is pretty nice. Amber, not yelliw or clear color. I always feel like a major comoany like millercoors might skimp out on certain aspects of a brew. No evidence of that here.

Aroma is a rather funky, musky, burnt sugar, earthy and sour delight. I really like how these aromas blend. The hop smell is very interesting

Flavor is actually pretty complex, with a unique,funk to the hop flavor. Sour and wheat_ earthy effect. Together, worth sipping and ponderig. The malt, thank god is not too sweet ir lingering. Balance can make or break a brew for me, this one imoresses.

Feel is good, no malty left overs, stays crisp but maintains a mouth complexity.

I think many will not be open to this beer simply because its from one of big boys. Judge it for what it is. Word.

4.66/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Multidimensional, complex yet not overwhelming, full but not heavy, Batch 19 is a real option for a satisfying upgrade/premium staple beer. As one who tries local beers whenever I have the chance, I'm frequently disappointed when I get into an establishment that doesn't have a variety (e.g. a chain restaurant like Applebees, Chilis, etc.). I typically end up ordering a Sam Adams but am not happy with the heaviness and sweetness. Likewise, as a go-to option at home when I want a good beer without things getting complicated, I want something much more than a mainstream pale ale but not something extremely craft. Something complex but mainstream. Batch 19 seems to be the right beer for this niche, as it is probably the most consistent high-quality pour beer out of a mainstream production. MillerCoors got craft brewing on a large scale right on this one.

Excellent beer! Love the bold flavor but not too bold. I have to admit the packaging caught my attention. My first beer since I have been off crutches and it was a great new choice. I was surprised to find out it was Coors. I AM NOW A FAN OF COORS. Keep on making Batch 19.
Thanks