Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Added by thornside on 11-03-2006

Ratings: 1,563 |  Reviews: 539

1.53/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured as a straw-caramel color with nearly no head that went away almost as quickly as it was served to me. It leaves behind what can best be described as a soapy film on the glass.

Smell was very hard to distinguish - somewhat of a mixture between citrus and coriander (very light aromas). Definitely didn't whet my appetite any for this brew.

The taste was basically corn, some spices, some citrus, and a bit of alcohol flavor to it. Not really appealing at all and not well executed in my opinion.

Mouthfeel suffered from overcarbonation, probably to cover up its thinness in the flavor and feel department.

Drinkability wasn't good as it has no real festive flavor, or even flavor in fact, to continue drinking this brew. I would recommend finding almost anything else to replace this. Overall, the beer tries but doesn't execute.

1.54/5  rDev -49.5%

A- a solid dark brown with red hues and a large head with nice retention and good to decent lacing.

S- Malty, no spice or yeast notes(odd for a Belgian)

T- Malty, light yeast with some light raisin and dark fruit flavors. Zero complexity.

M- Way to over-carbonated.

D- drain-pour. I would prefer Miller-lite over this.

1.6/5  rDev -47.5%

clear deep brown in color with a 2 finger head and good drooping lacing but thats it. Blue moon dropped the ball here. taste is to bitter. mouth feel is tart and lasting. dont want this travesty of a beer again. still heavy like all the blue moon lines of beers but this beer missed the bus . wont have this one again

1.68/5  rDev -44.9%

poured into a pint glass.

A. dark amber color that decieves. small 1 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

S. I smell some vanilla, very faint wheat. I get a little smell of coors original.

T. I taste a little vanilla, some carmel, very faint wheat at the back. tastes very watery almost like coors original with some flavoring. not very pleasant.

M. very light almost watery. light carbonation, very easy to drink.

O. this beer didn't impress me at all. for this to be called a double is very dissapointing. I am glad I only bought one.

1.68/5  rDev -44.9%

1.69/5  rDev -44.6%

Opened cold 12oz bottle, poured into snifter. Nice white head of 1" to 1.5" that dissipates rather promptly. Brew is clear, dark reddish-brown.

Smell is not pleasant. Somewhat metallic and hints of malts. Taste also follows through with the metallic, definitely bitter on the palate. Not a smooth drink.

I tried to let it warm up to see if the taste/flavors extracted better, but it never happened.

I was really expecting more from this beer...

1.69/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a best by date printed on the bottle by the neck. Label describes it as an "Amber ale with winter spices". I'd call it Liquid Praline. It poured with a good couple finger head that slowly dissipated. It was a solid amber color and had good carb. The smell was dead-on praline with some vanilla in background. Great smell for a soda but not for a beer. The taste was basically the same as the smell and again great for a cream soda but not a beer. Not sure what they were trying to do here but it didn't work for me. I'm extremely glad that I got this as a single instead of a 6ixer. Highly recommend that you avoid unless you are looking for a cream soda (1.5, NA, ML, N)

1.8/5  rDev -41%

Dark mahogany, transparent brew with weak head. Aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg and caramel without any yeast character. Weak flavor of lightly toasted wheat bread and brown rice. Overwhelming cinnamon and nutmeg. Light body and over-carbonated. I don't understand where they get the idea to call this an Abbey ale. Has none of the subtle complexities of a well crafted Belgian beer. Weak malt character and too many spices. Avoid.

1.83/5  rDev -40%

A: The beer poured a hazy brownish, call it cola, color with hints of red when held up to light. The head that was produced a slightly off white and it was not well retained.

S: The aroma was faintly malty with a very light hint of sweetness. Not much there really.

T: They were going for a Belgian beer, but they did not get there with the taste. Some malt and brown sugar or fruits for sweetness and I got some kind of metallic flavor. The combination of flavors was poor.

M/D: The beer had a medium body to it and the carbonation seemed to be right, but it leaves a strange aftertaste. I cannot really describe it, but it is not good. I bought a six-pack and have yet to finish one, let alone drink more than one at a time.

For some reason, I expect more since Blue Moon is a decent beer and they seem to try but just cannot seem to get any of the other seasonals right.

1.84/5  rDev -39.7%

Someone left this in my fridge from Christmas, and I felt the need to give you all my findings.

A- looks like a belgian dubbel. nice caramel color, finger-width head with nice carbonation.

S- Honestly, have you ever had a carpet in a basement that a dog pissed on repeatedly, and had possible water damage/mold? This beer smelled like old dog piss on a carpet. It had a fruity, sugary smell at first but finished with urine.

T- Awful. It started nice and finished like I brushed my teeth and at a grapefruit. just plain disgusting.

M- Felt like it should be a good dubbel. Light and watery.

D- I dumped it out halfway through drinking it.

I got this fresh out of the fridge, put it into an SA pint glass and expected to enjoy it. I know it was fresh, so it wasn't a case of old beer, maybe it was skunked? Dunno. I don't hate this company and have been pleased in the past with their macros in sheeps clothing, but this thing is not drinkable in the least. Fortunately for me, this was the only one I had to suffer through.
I feel bad, having enjoyed previous offerings from this company. It won't in any way influence my decision to have another beer from Blue Moon, but I wouldn't touch this one again even if you threatened to make me listen to you strangling my first born to death.

1.84/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought one for kicks off the singles shelf at my local place.

It looks light for a dubbel; it is more the color of a belgian pale.

The smell is of a stale Light American Lager with a hint of Belgian dark sugar. The taste is pretty much like the smell. Not much in the way of malt flavor, no yeast character, and a watered down candi sugar taste. Mouthfeel is light, and there is an unpleasant aftertaste.

I haven't had Blue Moon in a couple of years, but I remember liking it. This stuff, however, I won't drink again.

Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale from Coors Brewing Company