Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Added by thornside on 11-03-2006

Ratings: 1,563 |  Reviews: 539

2.5/5  rDev -18%

2.95/5  rDev -3.3%

It's not really clear what the brewer (or more likely the marketer) was going for with this one...calling this a "single style" abbey ale seems a confused reference to an enkel, the base beer for an abbey's other styles...but this is about as far from Rochefort 6 as could be...

For full sacreligous effect, poured from a 12oz bottle into my Westvleteren goblet.

Nearly clear rusty copper body with a thin khaki head. Decent retention, thin pasty lacing.

Toasted malt and toffee in the nose along with very faint golden raisin and wheat notes. A little bland but not unpleasant.

Flavor goes through an unusual progression from initially sharp, vaguely acidic (from wheat) and nearly metallic into an increasingly malty, dough-y, and sweet finish. Caramel, toast, and a big dose of wheat comes through in the finish along with hints of banana and orange zest.

Thin, fizzy mouthfeel. Spritzy but in no way effervescent.

Very drinkable, but quite unfocused. I'd rate this lower if I really thought they were trying to brew a "Dubbel," but as a generic misguided "abbey ale" this is more flavorful than much of New Belgium's regular offerings for example...

3.56/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark Hazelnut color. Like a dark honey or caramel color. Nice thick head with an stupendous tan color. It's a little bit heavy, but not so much; you can see a little bit through the beer.

S - Light hops, smoky caramel, sugary notes coming from everywhere.

T - Very lean beer. Lack of flavors, and its messing something. Caramel, sugar, nuts, hops, chocolate?, some floral notes, very light!

M - Medium body. Not light, but a little heavy. Sticky,but it's normal on this style. You can drink it without problems.

O - Could be an excellent beer, but something is missing. Excellent ingredients, but not a perfect balanced beer.

1.98/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a nice, rich brown color with a huge head of light tan foam. Retention is poor, a three inch head drops to a film in about a minute. No lace at all.
Smell is cardboard, a odd roasted note and sweet caramel. The combination is not at all like one would expect from a dubbel.
Taste is sweet with an artificial roasted note that turns ashy in the aftertaste. The only other presence in the aftertaste is sugar.
If I'm generous this is medium-bodied. Effervescence is light. This drinks much more light a dark lager than anything else. Its not an offensive beer to drink, but not one I would ever seek out again.

3.66/5  rDev +20%

Let me start off by saying I enjoy regular Blue Moon Belgian white. It's one of my go to beers for hanging out with friends (they aren't very adventurous with beer)

Appearance- poured this into a fat pilsner glass. Definitely a lot darker than I though Blue Moon would pull off. It's a brown/amber color, still transparent. The head isn't anything to write home about but it's a slightly tan white that fades thin and comes back with a little swirl.

Smell- hmm, still get a blue moon smell, with a bit of nuttyness and mayyybe caramel and maple syrup. Isn't bad, but not perfect.

Taste- A little nutty caramel, semi-sweetness. Definitely some spice to it, a good amount too; not overpowering and not too little. Still makes for a thin, easy drinking beer. Good tasting

Mouthfeel- A little sweetness at first, but the after taste gets dry, leaving me wanting more. Very thin and sessionable.

Overall- I think just gets a bad rep cause Coors is so heavily associated with Blue Moon and we all know they can't make beer for the life of them, but Blue Moon has really surprised me with this beer and their pumpkin seasonal. Didn't like Pale Moon, but if you're looking for a good seasonal beer to bring to a party or sit at home and have a few, this is worth trying. It's just as good, if not better than some of the micro-brewed winter seasonals I've had so far (and I work at a liquor store, so I've tried all the ones we got in so far) Will buy again for the right occasion.

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer poured out with a reddish brown color. The head was white and faded quickly. The smell of the beer had some very light Belgian aromas but nothing too true to the real Belgian Dubbels. The taste is very weak compared to most real Dubbels. The beer has some sweet flavors with some earthy notes. The mouthfeel was too light for a winter brew. Overall not too much to really say, I wasn't really impressed on this brew.

2.29/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from an inch or so above the glass gives this beer a big light brown head above a clear wine reddish colored ale that fades into a light lacing.

Aroma is spiced sweet caramel malts with a slight hint of some dark fruits in the background.

A light sweet caramel malt taste that is laced with hints and bits of dark fruits and spices akin the aroma.

A dryish aftertaste on this medium bodied beer seems to be the highlight of this beer, although this Winter Abbey has some spices, malt, and fruits coming through in the taste they seem to miss the point or not fulfill its potential.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Brownish red color with a thin, watery off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves almost no lacing. I don't usually dock a beer points in appearance, but this looks like a bad Irish red, not a Dubbel...

S: Sweet caramel, a slight hint of Belgian yeast/sugar. Underneath the Belgian smells is a lot of cereal grain.

T: Thick caramel malts flavor up front, but it quickly fades away leaving only the taste of cereal grains and a cloying sweetness.

M: Thick syrupy body, low carbonation. I can understand why they call this a winter beer, it's slightly reminiscent of drinking molasses. Actually rather unpleasant.

O: In all fairness to the beer, it isn't terrible. It is, however, distinctly NOT a dubbel, reminiscent of a dubbel, related to a dubbel nor does it have any other connection to a dubbel. So, as a dubbel it fails miserably in all categories except smell. As a beer, however, it's drinkable, but still not very good.

3.2/5  rDev +4.9%

A- Very thin head that dissipates quickly. Carmel colored, mostly clear body. Appears thin and watery.

S- Fairly faint. Some malt mostly, maybe a little bit of a sweet tinge to it. I couldn't smell any hints of hops.

T- Ummm...I'm not really sure what it's supposed to taste like. The malts are there, but like the smell, they are faint. There is also a bit of a sweet taste like in the smell. Ends on a little bit of a hop kick, not much. More of a wheaty taste at the end.

M- Way to carbonated in my opinion. Would need to be twice as heavy to handle that much carbonation, instead, it is fairly watery.

Overall, way better than macros, but not really good. I won't seek this out again soon. Apparently the label claims it has a toffee finish. Well, that didn't happen.

2.67/5  rDev -12.5%

amber hue into my chalice. Minimal head, little retention. Scent is clean up front if not outright dull. Taste is a blast of sweetness with dark fruit on the edges. A bit watery but sits heavy in my stomach. Alchohol is rough around the edges. Even with the lower ABV, this is by no means a more seesion able "belgian" style. Blah.

2.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Smells mainly of malty toasted grains, with just a hint of spice and fruit at the edges. Fruity malts are the first flavors to come across on the tongue, blossoming in fruit esters such as orange and apricot. These esters are followed almost immediately by the tang of the "Dark Belgian sugar" mentioned on the label, which adds a nice caramel layer to the fruit. Light vanillas and toffees may also be found here. The hops don't seem to really kick in for me, which is surprising since the original label description said that there were "multiple hops" present. Either the recipe has changed, or the hops are simply too weak to be immediately noticeable, and instead constitute a slight background fuzz. For me, the ale's weakest point comes near the end: all of the fruity, caramel flavors fade away, leaving only a stale beer taste on the back of my throat. If I had to rate only the first half of the mouthful, I would have given it at least a four--but the aftertaste is only a one.

3.65/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours a clear brown with a shade of red. Smells of malt, caramel, and brown sugar. The taste is pretty good with some nice malt flavor and a little bit of sweet brown sugar, the ending is very slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is light to medium body with medium carbonation. It is a decent beer that is quite enjoyable on a cold night.

4.02/5  rDev +31.8%

Bottle Dated: 4/25/2011

Aroma: Spiciness, peppery, cloves. Lots of caramel malts. Prunish fruits and a hint of cherry.

Appearance: Pours thick tan head. Dissipates slowly. Good lacing. Deep amber chestnut color. Very clear.

Flavor: Dark fruits, prunes. Nice dark caramel flavor. Brown sugary taste. Pepper and spicy notes from aroma fall to the background.

Mouthfeel: A touch thin. Not really enough body to support thinning it out more with candi sugar. Crisp/dry finish with a light coating from residual caramel sweetness. Alcohol, barely noticeable.

Overall: I'll admit, I didn't think I would like this one and was secretely hoping I wouldn't, but this is a really nice beer. The only thing I would like to see is more body and perhaps a bigger overall beer. I would drink this anytime it was handed to me.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A - Clear dark red in color with a brown tint. Off-white foamy head that didn't last very long
S - Caramelized malts, sugary/sweet, hint of yeast
T - Sweet malt taste, very slight hint of cherry, semi bitter towards the end of the aftertaste
M - Fairly carbonated

Still prefer the traditional Blue Moon Belgian White to any of their seasonal beers I have tried thus far.

3.62/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For being a Coors brew, this beer has an impressive level of flavor. Although caramel and malt dominate most of the taste, its still more flavor than what you normally find from similar breweries. Overall I was happy that I tried it, but will not be counting the days until next winter to try it again.

3.22/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Poured into a wine globe with a half finger cream colored head that dissipated quickly to none at all. The color was a nice dark red amber. No lacing at all.

S - Not a huge nose, but interesting. Smells of caramel, some fruity notes (cherry?) and a bit of funkiness that I can't describe. A bit of alcohol on the nose as well.

T - A bit bland. A hint of caramel sweetness up front with bready malt in the middle that carries through to the finish. Not much complexity here.

M - Thin with medium carbonation. I would say a bit too much carbonation considering how mild the flavor is. No alcohol presence

D - This not a bad beer, but it's not great either. I would pick it up before a domestic lager any day. I would say it's a hair better than regular Blue Moon, but that's not really a compliment.

3.02/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle served in pint glass.

Pours a nice reddish copper with a 2-3 finger light tan head. A = 4.5 if not for the limited retention of the head.

Aroma is a partly unpleasant. Fresh cut weeds or hay (from the "touch of wheat"?), soap, yeast and toasted malt. Flavor is much better; moderately enjoyable.

Some resemblance to a Killian's Irish Red, which stuck me as odd for a moment before I realized they are made by the same parent company. In any case, this is NOT a dubbel (as currently classified on BA); it's more of a red ale mixed with a light witbier.

2.71/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Light brown, clear. Enormous head with medium-high lacing, and good carbonation.
Smell: Very malty and sweet.
Taste: Can't quite place it. Can taste medium hops and weak malt...and an unidentifiable spice?
Mouthfeel: Light and watery, yet chewy. Minimum froth.
Drinkability: Medium-low.
Summary: This is a below average beer. I gave it 6.8/10, or D+. This beer is strange to me. It looks very nice, smells nice, but tastes like something I'm not familiar with. Maybe like a light ale? This is the first Dubbel I've drank, so I don't have anything to compare it to. The taste is really quite bland, nothing stands out here. That could be how it's supposed to taste though, I'm not sure. I'm really impressed with the head and retention, but not much else. Overall not a bad beer, but not one I'd drink often.

3.83/5  rDev +25.6%

This is a very interesting beer from Blue Moon Brewing Company. It retained its flavors nicely through a few months of cellaring.

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into the only glass I could find at the time, similar to a stein mug. Left about a finger width of lacing. Label had a good description of beer, which was nice to read about the ingredients. Freshness date of April 4, 2911. No ABV listed.

Appearance: Poured a nice reddish brown with a substantial head that simmered down to a complete foam but no swirling. Noticeable carbonation streaming fro bottom to top, which was nice to see this late in its freshness life.

Smell: Heavy on the caramel and toffee, which the label clued me in to, definitely non-offensive.

Taste: The taste was very unique, and was a lot different than I expected. The caramel was noticeable up front, with the toffee shining through in the finish. Malts were noticeable throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium body without much crispness of carbonation. There was a hint, which leads me to think that there might be more earlier in the beer's life.

Drinkability: I would definitely buy it again. Went well with some Costa Rican food, especially a rice and beans dish.

2.91/5  rDev -4.6%

I bought this recently because inwantedto try out a Dubbel. I figured that Coors/Blue Moon makes lowest common denominator beers and that it would be a good way to stick my toe in the water. I brought home a 6-er, tried one and was repulsed, I think I actually DP'ed it. Today I am having one after an amber ale, hopefully I will enjoy it more this time.

It pours a dark red/brown color. When held up to light it is transparent. Head quickly recedes to a ring around the glass with a slight film on top of the beer. Smell isn't really there, but what I can faintly smell is alcohol and maple syrup. So far, unimpressive. Taste no longer is repulsive to me, but it doesn't really do much for me. It tastes watery... There is a slight malty sweetness and a lot of alcohol taste. Gross. Mouthfeel is thinner than I expected for a winter beer. Overall, this really isn't an improvement from the first time I tried it.

3.3/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber brown color with a thin tan ring and nice lacing.

Caramel along with some belgian yeast and milk chocolate. Rather nice.

Moderately sweet with notes caramel and dark fruit. The flavor is there, but a bit watered down.

Creamy carbonation, but a little thin feeling.

Overall an okay beer. A poor man's version of a dubbel. It's as though it was watered down at bottling. Still, one of the better offerings I've had from a BMC company.

Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale from Coors Brewing Company