Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Added by thornside on 11-03-2006

Ratings: 1,563 |  Reviews: 539

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

2.67/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

The first sign of trouble was the spew when I cracked the twist-off. Fortunately I was using a towell so I had a handy wipe. The coppery color is nice, and it has a foamy head with a full carbonated mouthfeel. These guys know how to get the bubbles right.

The smell is musty and woody with a hint of sweet vermouth. I taste wintergreen rather strongly along with bubblegum. Surprisingly sweet and simple. I don't see how this can be classified as a Dubbel, but that's how I'll rate it. I'd call it a Red Ale, but maybe there is a tang of Belgian yeast in it. It tastes like I remember Killians Red. There is an odd, bitterish aftertaste, like burnt raisins and something from that trunk in the basement.

I would avoid this, whatever it is. I don't remember it being so unpleasant when I bought a six a few years ago, but then I never bought another one. From the 12 oz bottle, a single I picked up.

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%