Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Blue Moon Vintage Blonde Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by MasterSki on 11-28-2011

1.5/5  rDev -55%

1.68/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

22oz bottle into a goblet.

A light gold, no head,no lacing, tiniest whit ring around the glass. Crystal clear.

S bananas, green apples

T very simple... Banana runts and green apple jolly rancher. Nothing complex. Not very good.

M thin and flat

O I would not buy or drink this again... DON'T DO IT.

1.75/5  rDev -47.4%

2.17/5  rDev -34.8%

I got this as a freebie from a store here, best by Jun 11, 2012.

Light golden colour, 2 finger head of foam, loads of bubbles and lacing.

It has kind of a yeasty smell but actually smells more like an American Adjunct Lager. I'm sniffing hard and long to try to draw out some of this grape Chardonnay that is mentioned on the label but I can't seem to get any.

Well, there's grape juice in the taste but it is not very tasty. The malt profile is weak, all of the flavours, both of them are weak. The only "strong" point of this beer is the alcohol. Every bit of the 8.5 is present and accounted for. Wow, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this and I'm going to recommend that the store not carry it lest people looking to try something "craft" think this is typical.

This is just boring as hell and brings nothing to the table for the style it is under; I'm not going to finish the bottle.

2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

2.94/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Clear golden color in the tall Stella glass. The carbonation doesn't seem to hold up so well. Starts out with just a hint of foam, and subsequent pours are virtually flat.

Fruity like mango nectar. The drying flavor becomes fairly pronounced, but it doesn't seem yeasty otherwise. With the meagre carbonation it emphasizes the apple cider taste. Altogether, this seems kind of sweet and a little cloying. A whisper of bitterness. I tried to like this, but there is not much to like, especially for 11 bucks.

From the 22 oz bottle bought at Coit Liquor in San Francisco. 2012 vintage.

2.99/5  rDev -10.2%

I think it's sometimes tough to review beers like this because there's a tendency to roll your eyes at the maker being Blue Moon (or more specifically, Coors). However, we need to review the beer for what it is, fairly, as if it was produced by a craft brewery. So here goes.

Smell is very, very reminiscent of a white wine, which isn't very surprising, but it's actually pretty strong and sweet. I know chardonney tends to be a bit drier than many whites, but this has a real sweet white grape juice aroma going. I poured it into my glass...not too surprisingly, it's bright golden. Head fizzes away almost immediately. So that part isn't so hot.

Now for the taste. Carbonation is pretty average, but not too high for a beer that's supposed to be a Belgian style. Really, it's all semi-sweet white grape juice and notes of apple to me. I also get a bit of yeast on the finish, but that's about it. Honestly, it feels to me as if I'm drinking a decent, rather sweet white wine with carbonation. So if that's what they were going for, I'd say it's fine. As a beer?? Not as much, and not for the price tag.

So I think this "beer" doesn't quite hold up on its merits....not because of who makes it, but because it really just fails to be very distinctive or complex.

Blue Moon Vintage Blonde Ale from Coors Brewing Company