Blue Moon Valencia Amber Ale | Coors Brewing Company

coors.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Added by phishsihq on 01-26-2012

very disappointed with this beer. labeling was just a gimic. went on blue moon web site, and of course all they have is positive posts, and i could not even post my reveiw. one suprising fact is that they say one of there brewmasters was schooled in belgium. that has to be a lie.

1.5/5  rDev -50.5%

1.5/5  rDev -50.5%

1.53/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This is something that sounds absolutely fine in theory but somehow remarkably gets screwed up.

Blue Moon is totally okay. It's not so good that I balk at putting an orange slice in it, however, as it's a little boring and the citrus livens it up nicely. So, naturally, a pre-mixed Valencia Blue Moon should be nice.

But the Valencia tastes very strong and very chemical. It's not even orgeat syrup; more like someone chewed up some orange Starburst then sprayed them with Lysol to disinfect them and then dumped them into a batch of a middling wheat beer.

1.59/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Made the mistake of letting my curiosity get the best of me. Was going to pick up the regular Blue Moon, but saw this offering and figured I would see what it had to offer. Big mistake. First off, this isn't a horrible tasting beer. It's actually doesn't have much taste or flavor at all. All I get from this is a slight bit of spice, with a little odd flavor in the finish, almost malt liquor-ish. It's 5.9 ABV, so it packs a little more punch than the tradional 4.5-5.2 ABV beers, but taste wise this is almost as neutral as you can get. Not what I want when buying a "craft " beer, as Anything I've tried from Samuel Adams has much more character than this offering. This is like the guy in the crowd who just blends in and isn't noticed. I won't be buying this Blue Moon offering EVER again.

1.66/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I picked up the Blue Moon Spring sampler today which included this ale, the only Blue Moon variety I have not tried in my area. Poured into a Weizen glass. The pour left a nice two finger head with the color a nice amber. Nose was of caramel malt mainly. Mouth feel was somewhat thin. Carbonation was on the money, moderate just where I like it. Unfortunately, that is where the good news ends. The taste was more malty and sweet than anything else, and there was an almost medicine like aftertaste that is just awful. I have liked every Blue Moon variety I have tried up until this one, but I must say Coors failed with the Valencia amber ale.

1.75/5  rDev -42.2%

1.75/5  rDev -42.2%

1.93/5  rDev -36.3%

Bottom line - This beer is both poor quality and nauseatingly sweet. My gf and I both could not finish our 4oz sample. I wanted to throw up. Never again.

Appearance: The beer looked inoffensive enough, golden in color with a slightly darker red tint to it.

Smell: The beer smelled clearly of orange, with a standard wheat beer scent.

Taste: As noted above, it was overwhelmingly sweet, with notes of fake orange cough syrup. I was allowed to sample this beer in a small 4oz pour. The bartender told me that the beer was made using a standard process then infused with the Valencia orange flavor afterwards. This is plainly evident, in that the beer taste like it is an average beer that had orange-flavored cough syrup added to it.

Mouthfeel: It felt like I was going to throw up in my mouth.

1.95/5  rDev -35.6%

My least favorite in the line-up.

2.06/5  rDev -32%

I love being able to buy singles. I can then review the beer and if such is my wont, I can buy more of the same. I am not a fan of buyer's remorse, which is what generally ensues when I buy in quantity.

From the bottle: "This copper-colored ale is crafted with roasted malts, Valencia orange peel, and a touch of wheat for a smooth taste with notes of citrus."; "Our Valencia Grove Amber is crafted with roasted malts, Valencia orange peel, and a touch of wheat for an uplifting orange, caramel aroma. It's the perfect inspiration for taking advantage of the season."; "Taste Responsibly" is negated by the presence of a fruit slice garnishing the glass. I thought that it already tastes of orange - are they suggesting a) gilding the lily, b) adding a different fruit or are they just mindless?

Onward! My initial pour netted me two-plus fingers of fizzy, tawny head with negligible retention. Nose was soft, definitely with a wheat presence underlain by a light citrusiness. Color was a deep amber/light copper with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was soft and silky, terms that I usually do not associate with Blue Moon. The only problem was its lack of any real flavor. I did not get caramel either on the nose or in the mouth and the orange was so lacking as to constitute a waste of the Valencia orange peel prominently mentioned on the label. Finish was semi-dry, but so what? The astounding lack of discernible flavor left me wanting more. Not more of this, but more beer, like one with something that I could taste. This was as bland as white bread.

Blue Moon Valencia Amber Ale from Coors Brewing Company