Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Availability: Fall

Added by TMoney2591 on 07-14-2012

1.17/5  rDev -62.1%

Coming from a long time Blue Moon fan, this beer is probably the most disappointing thing I've experienced since the last Indiana Jones film. Saying this beer has a caramel taste is bold faced false advertising. You know when a beer is bad when you find yourself cringing on the approach of the bottle to your mouth. To me, this beer falls into the category that things like Steel Reserve live in. It's completely unacceptable. When I asked my friends to give me their thoughts on the beer, the FIRST words out of my friend's mouth were "Alien Feces". I capitalize this because it was so profound. I've seen this man tell me his girlfriend has cancer, and his eyes weren't filled with nearly that amount of conviction. This man was so stoic in the way he told me this, that the hairs on my arms stood up.

In closure, this beer is absolutely an embarrassment.

1.25/5  rDev -59.5%

1.25/5  rDev -59.5%

1.56/5  rDev -49.5%

1.88/5  rDev -39.2%

reviewed from notes 8/29/12
clear medium to dark brown copperish color, smells malty, slight wheat aroma with hints of tart apples. Medium carbonation. apple and caramel flavors very muted. taste more like spiced apple juice mixed with crappy beer in the forefront with a sweet aftertaste. thanks again for the disappointment blue moon! no caramel flavor what so ever... LAME!

1.91/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Absolutely no head. That's a big no-no. Auburn color with very high clarity. Unappealing.

S- Nutmeg, cinnamon, molasses, coriander, pumpkin pie, warm and spicy.

T- A whole lot of water. Spiced cider. Really may have waited too long on this bottle. Ick.

M- Water with the tiniest bit of carbonation.

O- I must admit I probably waited to long to review this bottle. It did NOT hold up well. I would like to review it fresher.

After the surprising qualities bestowed upon me with Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale, a pleasantly subtle and delicious spiced brew, I'm anxious to see how Blue Moon does Caramel Apple Spiced Ale. Let's light it on fire.

Appearance - Dark red, amber color; pours thicker than I initially expected but, given its caramel nature, this isn't too surprising.

Smell - Surprisingly little in the nose, similar to Cinnamon Horchata, aside from some cooked/toasted grains, maybe. All I can really distinguish. No evidence of caramel apple whatsoever.

Taste - Heavy and funky, with some faint caramel taste sneaking in, but creamier and soapier rather than sweeter and savorier.

Mouthfeel - Leaves a rather pungent aftertaste, unlike the Cinnamon Horchata, which blows this one out of the water, with its quiet inclusion of spices and grains.

There's a reason this is a limited autumn release, as it's so far the weakest fall seasonal I've had.

Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale from Coors Brewing Company