Coors Light | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Reviews: 1,282 | Ratings: 5,062
2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

In the big-beer light category this is my second favorite light. One big plus with Coors is the "no-additives" factor. Adolph Coors was a bit of a nut in regards to chemical atleration of his product. If you are seeking an inoffensive light beer with the least amount of engineering this is it. A good medium taste for an American light lager. An all-day drink. A very fine light beer.

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

Silver bullet can into a generic american beer glass.

Pours golden straw yellow/gold. small head. Grassy slight hop aroma.

Drinks watery with almost no hop characteristic. Kind of metallic flavor in there.

Lots of carb so it burns on the way down.

Perhaps its a residual habit from all the pounding of this beer that I did in my college days, but it goes down fast and in large gulps. I realized that all these years I was bypassing my palate when I drink this stuff. Almost like doing shots.

Definitely not what I have come to know as good beer, but passable as a, "get drunk on the deck" kind of brew. After the first few gulps, its almost like drinking ice water on autopilot.

I would not buy this while at the beer store, but if there is nothing else in the cooler on a hot day...

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

After the gang was over last night, they left to go boogie with out me as I was ready to hit the sheets
However, one lone tall boy of Coors Light was left on the table - The want to cosume it didn't strike me right off - so Its going into some beer bread today and i've poured a healthy sample portion into a Pokal glass.

As a a homebrewer whose yet to get into kegging - I was quite pleased with appearance - I asked myself "Well now, can you make beer that clear?" Poured aggressivley into the glass left a huge, bubbly and sticky head that last for a bit and didn't lace the glass.

The aroma hits the marks for a light lager, no hop presence, and this being wideley avaialble and mass producede stuff, lots grain, corn under the nose. It does have that classic 'beer' aroma and its not offensive.

Taste is far too sweet and sugary for me - it doesn't have that classic malt kick, and its getting more and more sickly as the glass warms. However it is marketed in a can that indicated how cold its supposed to be served. So, bellied back straight from the can in this current 39c heat outside - it could really hit the spot I imagine served the way its more or less suggested.
I think that's enough for a review now, even if your new to beer your know what your getting into, I'm just trying to submit a fair review based in its style. Other wise not blown away - however I wouldn't hesitate to throw one of these back eyes cold whislt dripping in sweat.

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Golden and clear. Actually a larger head than expected.

Smell: Not much of an aroma. Maybe a little bit of a malty corn smell.

Taste: A fairly bitter kick. Again, better than I expected from such a beer.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and very watery. Nothing special.

Drinkability: Quite honestly, I found this to be one of the better light beers I've tried. Don't misunderstand, it's not fantastic, but if you like light beers, this might be one to try.

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

First of all, I'm not sure why everyone bashes this beer. We all know this isn't gourmet craft brew, it is what it is...an american light beer. Although I'm new to the beer game, I found my tastes gravitate towards the heavier beer. But lets be honest here, when you're done golfing (or done doing anything else outdoors) in the the Florida heat, that bottle of heavy craft brew just doesn't cut it. Enter the Silver Bullet....
pours a medium yellow with a puffy head that has disappeared by the time you throw the bottle away. The smell is the same as everyother beer I've smelled in this class. The mouth feel is light with high carbination, in fact if not for the high carbanation, everyone would be able to chug this. As it is it's still almost to easy to drink. The taste is so-so but tolerable. Another important reason I picked this beer is because of the availability of it. When I go to a bar before, during, or after a FSU game, I know I'll be able to find it...usually on tap which is my prefered method of consumption. I can't say the same for sam Adams light (my favorite) or rock green light or yuengling light (my next choices.)
I imagine once winter returns, the light beers will go the way of the Dinosaur.

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a pitcher with my buddies at a local place called Blue Sky Bar and Grill, but given that you can find the silver bullet anywhere, that doesn't really mean much.

Appearance: Poured with a thumb of head that did not lace whatsoever but did manage to retain about half a finger decently. The body is a clear yellow, that boasts a lot of carbonation.

Smell: Not much to this one, extremely subdued and I'm catching only the fainest whiffs of corn, rice and malt. Given it's a light beer, a faint nose is sort of expected and it's not unpleasant, just boring and generic.

Taste: Well it's not bad, but it is watered down. Starts with a corn flavor with the barest notes of malt. The malt then somewhat asserts itself as you get hints of rice in the background just before ending with a slight bitter wisp at the end. Incredibly boring, and generic in extreme, even for a light beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer doesn't leave an aftertaste and the carbonation is decent at helps the beer a little bit. Also despite being watered down, it doesn't leave your mouth moist. It transitions well, although that is more due to how little there is to transition between.

Drinkability: As expected, the only redeeming quality of this beer is that it can be put back with ease and that it quenches thirst. It's light on the stomach and doesn't cause much in the way of gas. The lack of flavor though leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Final Thoughts: As one of the beers that most BA's love to hate, the silver bullet isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Now I'm not saying I like it, but it's pretty much the standard for the Light Lager style. If you are looking to have a couple with the boys on a hot summer day, but have to drive home then yeah, maybe get Coors Light.

2.69/5  rDev +31.2%

Ended up with an 18 pack somehow. Anyways, poured it into a mug and the head fizzled like sparkling lemonade or something like that. Was completely gone in 20 seconds, left literally nothing. No ring, nothing. Yellow? PALE YELLOW...palest clear beer I've ever seen beside a Belgian white. Smell wasn't too bad, doesn't reek of corn (Miller Lite) or smell like nothing (Michelob Ultra). Taste is interesting for a mass produced, light beer. It actually has a hop bite to it. I can't tell if it’s some kind of acidic metallic bitterness from the new can liners WHICH IS JUST SYNTHETICALLY PAINTED ON BY THE WAY. We tried melting, scratching, and separating the liner to no avail. It’s as smooth as the outer can, so I'm assuming its just bluish paint. The mouthfeel is fizzy water. The drinkability however? If these are ice, ice cold, it beats the Rodney King out of Miller Lite, no matter how much I hate Coors for donating to conservative causes and more extreme things like KKK-ish shady political campaigns in the south. The new Heineken Light has this pinned down by a sniper rifle though!

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Pretty good from a bottle. Nice to have a cheap beer that tastes pretty good, and the cold monitor in the mountains is convenient. Oddly, I noticed a sight sweet aftertaste when compared to most beers. Not anywhere near my favorite, but when on a budget this beer is fine.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

First of all, I do still enjoy the occasional macro. I bought a 24oz can of this tonight. The beer looks like any other macro. Light in color. The smell reminds me of many a campfire with my friends. A bunch of rowdy kids drinking whatever the one person over 21 brought or would buy for them. The taste, again, is pretty much in line with any other macro. There is just not much of a taste there. The mouthfeel is actually pretty smooth. Some Macro's are just too harsh in the mouthfeel to be consumed. This one is one of the better Macro's. The drinkability is above average for the style. Americam Macro is made to be relativaly inexpensive and drinkable. This one finds that niche well.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Very clear,highly carbonated,with almost no head. Aroma of light grain,and a fake sweetness.Crisp flavor,very little actual flavor.No hops no malt. Very overpriced for what it is. One of the better macro light beers but just not very good beer . Stinky if you let it get warm.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

I love this beer for what it is. It is the only macro-brew that I have ever, and will ever repeatedly purchase. I usually drink it straight from the can, but I once poured it into a chalice and it was a little better. No overpowering scent, but I got a decent head on it and it was very pleasant to drink. It has a grainy aftertaste that I like and the alcohol does not overpower your tongue like it does in some other lower-tier beers. In my opinion, it is the best of the light beers and macro-breweries.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Pound this beer. I like water. I like beer. Why not call this beer water? Coors prides itself on using water 'fresh from the rockies'. Well, I guess this is everyones chance to taste that. A good beer to have on a lunch break, because nobody would know you were drinking at lunch. I have to admit, this is my favorite run of the mill american macro-brew.

A- transparent. Light yellow. Yes, pisslike.

S- it almost smells like beer

T- it almost tastes like water

M- Highly carbonated and super light

D- All day. No problem drinking this at any time of day or night with no other choice.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

This is often my cheap, quantity beer of choice when buying beer from a grocery store.
It's pale and uncrafted; no aroma to speak of or write home about. The taste is mild and watery, the mouthfeel is bubbly, perhaps over carbonated.
Inoffensive and relatively refreshing. When I'm not in the mood for something interesting this tends to be beer I go for... this or Pabst Blue Ribbon... but this is always findable in stores around here.
The shiny silver cans are appealing!
That's about it for Coors Light.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured into a pilsener glass when the mountains were blue, for a taste as cold as the rockies:

A: Lots of carbonation, little head with immediate dispersal, no lacing. Golden -yellow.

S: Not much there, possibly some grains.

T: Not much here either. Not bitter and not really sweet.

M: Pronounced carbonation, not overwhelming. Watery.

D: This is where this beer shines. It is extremely drinkable, especially when you are not in want of an overpowering or expensive brew, but are in desire to knock back a sixer to get feelin' good. I suppose it does what it sets out to do: be a quintessential light American macro.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

When I want to drink a good beer, this is not the first thing I go for. Generally, I will work my way down a list before coming to this, but if I run into a beer list that looks like Amheuser and Coors wrote it, I will probably go with a Coors Light, or as I like to think of it, one of the lesser evils. It's piss water, let's be frank here. There's nothing to it but a little flavor and a little alcohol, but I can drink this stuff all night long and it won't bother me, it doesn't give you that nasty mouth tasts other cheap brands seem to. If you're going cheap, I guess go Coors Light.

2.71/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pale yellow in color with a fingernail of eggshell white around the rim. I smell faint aroma of corn and Hallertau hops. I taste just what I smelled, a basic blend of corn and Hallertau hops. The mouth was light and crisp.

2.71/5  rDev +32.2%

Coors Light works for me in the following ways. Out of a cooler packed with ice on a hot summer day doing any of the following activities :
Backyard BBQ, Mowing The Lawn, A day at the track or any sporting event, or just hanging with friends and family.

I have to be honest, that I have probably had more Coors Light than any other beer. The golf cart girl has few choices, and is usually stocked full of these and Miller Lite.

Best served ice cold - as cold as you can get em. Now - I would not compare these to any of the craft beers in any way shape of form. But, I do enjoy drinking these beers when the occasion presents itself. There is nothing special about them at all, just a crisp, cold, refreshing beverage, that goes down easy, tastes good, and if you are in the mood to have more than a few, these will do the job!

Most of my friends are not into craft beers, and if we go out for a few pitchers, this will be what we get.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

Okay, Okay, this isn't the best beer in the world, but let's just go back and take a look at a fairly common cheap beer.

Pours a very pale straw color. A nice head while pouring, but it subsides immediately. The smell is really faint, and there's not much there. The taste is pretty bland. Can't taste very much hops or malt, only the faint trace of alcohol. Tastes a lot like how club soda would taste after eating a bunch of bread. The mouthfeel is bland as well. Too much carbonation. As a general beverage, this isn't so bad. A nice cold one is alright, and it's light enough so that I can really quench my thirst on this if it were a hot day. As beer, however, this is fairly disappointing.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

A - Golden straw color. Pours a 3 finger fluffy head that dissapears in seconds. Medium effervesence. Leaves no lacing.

S - Very grainy. Smells like a bag of corn chips to be honest.

T - Very oily grain taste. The finish is not crisp really. But drinkable. Possibly the cleanest tasting of the Big 3 to be honest.

M - Very thin and watery. Not much else to say.

D - Very high. The carbonation is the only thing holding you back if you wanted to just slug this down. But the grainy aftertaste this beer made me want a drink of water.

Final Thoughts: Drinkable and sessionable. Thats definitely the only point to this beer (as well as the marketing campaign). But would certainly NOT be my first choice at the beer store.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

Serving notes: shaker glass, room temp
A - very light adjunct (corn) aroma, little else
A - one finger of head that quickly dissipates. Very pale clear yellow.
M - Light body, medium carbonation.
T - Same faint adjuncty flavor that I smelled in the aroma, very little else in the way of hops. Very clean finish.
D - As drinkable as water although not quite as good at room temp. Good at one price - free.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

By far the best of the Big three light beers. However by no means is this the golden standarad of beer.
A- Your standard micro- horse piss yellow foam quickly dissapates leaving little or no lacing behind
S- less grotesque than its big three counterparts, but nothing to brag about
T- nothing great but nothing horrible either. Heavy on the carbonation, like most macros
M- bubbly, almost like a coke. No real special flavors, but as stated before when compared to its constituants, its okay
D- If you are in college and need a cheap beer, and are unfortunate enough to live somewhere that doesnt have a wide selection of beer, than this is for you

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: I was assured the bottle I was about to consume was not only cold, but Super Cold indicated by the snowy rocky peaks on the front of the bottle. Since this was the case, I immediatly poured it into a pint glass aggresively so as not to miss out on the super coldness. Doing this I was greated by a four finger head that fell quickly allowing me to pour the rest of the beer into the glass. The body was a straw yellow color, a shade lighter than a baby chick.

S: While I would normally use my sence of smell to determine if the beer was cold the visual indicator took my attention away from the temperature and more towards the corn like scent and mineral like vibe of the beer.

T: A subtle taste of corn sweetness and a musty foot like vibe.

M: Crisp and cleeeeann. High Carbonation and low low body.

O: Of the light lagers this one is probably my prefered. Super clean and crisp but drink it cold in the bottle.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

Reviewed from notes, because light lagers need some attention, too!

A: The bottle has blue mountains, so I know I have a cold and refreshing beer waiting to be enjoyed by me. The pour is clear and a sickly pale straw color. I don't know that I've seen a lighter hued beer than the one sitting right in front of me. A small white head fizzes down to nothing almost as quickly as it was formed.
S/T/M: Faint corn and spiciness that's mildly reminiscent of a wheat ale on the nose. Flavors aren't quite skunky, but they're also far from fresh. It's virtually tasteless, really. It's watery, like I'm drinking water that soaked grains for roughly 5 seconds. The grain that's there is at least fresh tasting and spicy, but I really had to pull the flavor recognition from somewhere deep down inside.
D: Coors Light is just that, a lighter version of an already watery beer. I suppose a few of these wouldn't hurt on a super hot day when you don't quite want water but you don't quite want beer, either. I reviewed this beer keeping in mind the style, which is what I think a lot of craft beer drinkers forget. Light/adjunct lagers aren't my first (or second or third, etc) choice, but they are what they are.

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

Appearance: Basically the same as Bud Light, but flatter.

Smell: Not skunked so that's good. Kind of refreshing and grainy. Pretty watery though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Watery but smooth and pretty refreshing, especially when compared to Bud Light.

Drinkability: Refreshing when very cold, which it stays like for a while compared to the Keystone variety.

Overall: College students! Pay the extra few bucks and get something refreshing like this. Coors Light is the most neutral of the light macros, and thereofore the least offensive for many.

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A 20-ounce draught of Coors Light at a local restaurant.

Appearance - pale yellow colour with 1/8-inch sustained surface bubbles. Much carbonation.

Smell - faint smell of light malt and corn.

Taste - thin flavours of adjuncty-sweetness as well as a very basic hop bitterness at the end. Served very cold so flavours are secondary.

Mouthfeel - like drinking a pop, except not sugary like a pop. But beer flavoured carbonated water nonetheless.

Drinkability - enjoyed the beer with a spicy peppery chicken plate. Didn't offend, got the job done. Fairly refreshing on a hot day with some decent grub.

Coors Light from Coors Brewing Company