Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Reviews: 1,260 | Ratings: 4,957
2.13/5  rDev +3.9%

What a wonderful, golden color! The thick, foamy head lasts for approximately 13 seconds, but its wonderful while it lasts! I can actually read the fine print on my mortgage through the glass. That's Rocky Mountain cold!

The smell is a wonderful mix of rice and every bar pitcher I've ever seen. I accidentally spilled some on my pants and it made no impression in stain or moisture. It reminds me of a restroom for some reason.

You can really taste the Frost Brew® liner. It really adds that extra oomph that you don't get from lesser microbrews. Best to drink it ice cold. If only some of the inferior microbrews in this country could learn this so-called Frost Brewing® technique. I think I actually tasted one of the Rocky Mountains, though I can't identify which one. I'm tapping the Rockies!

Goes down like seltzer water: a fizzy concoction that will get you drunk for cheap, though if you've been drinking microbrews all day, it will probably help you sober up. As it says on the can: "Nothing's more refreshing than an ice cold Coors Light!" What a wonderful lager! The Silver Bullet!

1.91/5  rDev -6.8%

I had this beer this evening after a long vacation away from Coors and being spoiled by a brilliant array of Belgian, French, and American beers that I have found at either Whole Foods or Shoreline Beverage. I was thirsty for something different and the little news stand near the Chinese place on the way home obliged me with a Coors Light.

I brought it home and poured it right into my 50cl glass and the pale yellow beer seemed to respond with an average marco brew head. My first taste was foam and water after the faint smell of beer invited me in for round one. I liked the Coors with the spicy Chinese beef and broccoli, but there was nothing more to it. It sort of vanished quickly.

I admitted to being slightly disappointed with the Coors Light as a poor replacement for Tsing Tao, but I could see where thirsty masses as football games might like this on hot days.

2.88/5  rDev +40.5%

Drank a few cans of this last night so here's the review. Color looks pale and nasty yellow...I love IPA's and pilsners that are light colored, but this looks thin and nasty. The taste is predominatly carbonated water, tastes like they added instant beer flavor to it. Really fizzy soda-pop beer.

Good stuff: it's balanced, and it's so light I could probably drink a whole case, but why would I want to? Cute little hoppy bite, definately nothing to write home about. Not really much to say here, except that I feel like I'm drinking an unsweetened Sprite. Drink only when absolutely neccessary.

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured a pale yellow with a very small head that dissipated rather quickly. No lacing. Light carbonation can be seen rising.

Aroma was like very bad white wine and some sweet corn. Curious.

Taste was of light malts, light corn, light hops. I guess that is why it is called a light lager. Crisp. Pretty basic macro light lager taste.

Mouthfeel was cleansing with some light spritzyness to it.

Overall, it was not as offensive as expected [not exactly a ringing endorsement]. Better than many other beers of the style. Best served ice cold since not much to taste. Of course, I wouldn't want to drink many...but could if the need arose.

2.43/5  rDev +18.5%

My parents' favorite beer. Also a local favorite for some reason...

A- Thin, clear, yellowish almost a greenish tinge. Lightly carbonated. No head.

S- Nothing to speak of. Kinda like seltzer water with chlorophyl.

T- Thin, watery, sometimes pungent after a big gulp.

M- Diet pop residue left in the mouth. Thin, but crisp.

D- Well if you wanna you could drink this for a week straight. Easy to drink, but you get nothing from it.

1.87/5  rDev -8.8%

Looks like any other American light macro: pale and not much head.

Nose has a lot of corn. Not surpsisingly no hops present in the armoa.

As far as flavor is concerned... it's honestly the best option when compared to the rest. I guess you could say it's the tallest midget, better than Bud Light or Miller Light. Remember how your mother always said "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? That's kind of what I'm doing here.

2.2/5  rDev +7.3%

*sigh*

Ok, I had this at a party this weekend. The host offered it to me, with the statement "I knew you were going to be here, so I was going to get something fancy like Rolling Rock, but didn't have time." She wasn't kidding.

Appearance is pale yellow, no head.

Smell is corny. No hops.

Taste is corn, sweetness, but clean.

Mouthfeel is like distilled water...absolutely nothing here.

Despite all of that, it is highly drinkable from the standpoint of being so utterly bland that it's inoffensive.

1.97/5  rDev -3.9%

At my girlfriend's parents this past weekend, I went searching through the refrigerator looking for something to help ease the pain of some spicy Korean food. The Silver Fucking Bullet? I haven't had this in years. Sure why not?

I wanted to be fair and go in with an open mind. I poured the can into a pint glass. It's watery and yellow, not much head. It actually smelled a lot better than I remember. Perhaps the spicy food had dulled my olfactory or perhaps it wasn't a terrible smelling lager. Either way, the taste was pretty much as I remembered: not very good. I searched for that Rocky Mountain refreshment but didn't find it.

I drank about half of it and then switched to warm Brita filtered water, which actually seemed less watery. Oh well...

Ah yes, the universally panned beer. The dreaded, hated, evil light macro. Coors Light is 'drinkable', though, to the extent that it tastes like Perrier water.

Appearance: unimpressive clear light yellow. Head fizzles away in record timing.

Smell: some traces of malt, mostly corn and wheat. Inoffensive, but nothing to write home about.

Taste and Mouthfeel: mild carbonated bite, corny malt flavour, watery finish, no aftertaste.

Drinkability: it's quaffable, but so is H2O. While I prefer this to some of the higher strength macros like Bud and Fosters, it's still a forgettable mass-market nothing beer.

2.3/5  rDev +12.2%

Football tailgating leaves a lot to be desired for the better beer drinker so I reverted back to college days of excessive imbibition of macro funk as there was no other option except liquor and wanted to remember the game if I could. This could be easily drunk after exercise as it is ridiculously watery and devoid of taste. What taste there is consists of cereal grains, corn and other adjuncts. I imagine Adolph Coors wouldn't be thrilled to have his name associated with this swill. I can't believe how much of this stuff I used to drink. Yikes.

2.5/5  rDev +22%

Very clear golden yellow. Head dissapated quikly with no lace on top or sides. It has more um, aroma?, than taste. Mostly light grain smell plus some malt. Taste is well balanced but has some sort of off flavor. I think it comes from the water used. I taste it everytime I drink a Coors product. It's not that great but I buy a twelve pack now and again.

1.56/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First of all, to be fair, I remember having this beer in the past and it actually tasting a little better than it did when I just poured it. The smell of this beer is a very off smelling odor. I can't really pinpoint what it is. The taste is basically the same. There is absolutely no trace of any malt or hops, but there is a very off tasting bite that is not pleasant at all. Again, to be fair, maybe the can I poured this from was just a bad batch. That said, from this taste test, plus memories of the past from this brew, I can say this probably my least favorite of the macro light beers. The problem is that not only is there not even a hint of malt or hop taste to the beer, but the brew has a very off tasting bite which makes it not pleasant to drink. By the way, I am careful to always review by style, as I believe there are actually good macros out there. If you want a macro, try a Schlit, as it is light years better than this stuff.

2.33/5  rDev +13.7%

If you ever wanna drink a beer that tastes exactly like water then you have found it. Although a Coors Light may be refreshing on a hot summers day it is not something you want to keep as the cornerstone of your collection. I came back to this old timer after years exploring other beers. And the same holds true, the main appeal of this beer,to me, is its ability to not taste really like beer at all. It is definately a light beer in the truest sense of the word.

Wow that new frost liner really works, I guess, I pour beer into a glass. However, first sip can't you taste the Rockie Montains? Well if you can your taste buds are way better then mine. The beer poured an unappealing light yellow that looks almost clear. The smell and taste where almost non-existant. The mouthfeel was light was felt like I was drinking spoiled water. I had to dump this beer because each sip made me cringe.

1.8/5  rDev -12.2%

In my long beer journey, I've found that there is only one beer that I will nearly always turn down - Coors Light. Yet the time has come to try and give it a fair look, so here we go.

Pours from a curious bottle - purchased across the river in Detroit, here's a pint-sized plastic bottle with a cola-style twist cap. Lack of French on the label is momentarily disorienting, as is the lack of brown glass. Moving on, though. Pours into my pint glass an extremely, tragically translucent straw yellow, more translucent than any beer I've ever tried before. Visible carbonation and chill haze. It's no wonder people drink this straight out of the bottle. Topped by an impressive two fingers of head initially, but it quickly becomes apparant that said head is merely the result of heavy carbonation - it dies down within twenty seconds to a few faint rings, though it does leave some lacing. It could be worse, but this is not appetizing.

Smell is non-descript. Not egregiously bad, but not really pleasant, either. Quite sweet. Faint corn, cereal grain, a touch of indistinct spice. Bready. No hops. At all. Almost apple-cider-ish. Not as bad as I've made it out to be in my mind over the past few years (though I'd be interested to compare the Canadian and American bottlings of the product), but uninteresting.

Taste is likewise not so hot. Very, very sweet. Apple cider character comes through, as does an almost bubblegum sweetness. Hints of corn and cereal grain. Just the slightest hint of bready malts, but literally no hops detectable. Finishes.. ever-so-slightly dry, with a bready aftertaste, but a cloying sweetness. Again, not egregiously offensive, but not really appealing, either. Corn asserts itself if the brew begins to warm even slightly - if you've got to drink this guy, drink him cold and drink him fast.

Mouthfeel is weak. Heavy effervescence, and a very watery mouthfeel are some of this beer's defining characteristics. It's also not particularly drinkable - though you could probably chug three of this in ten minutes, why would you want to? The heavy carbonation makes my stomach feel awful, and this stuff is close enough to water that you're better off with water.

It's easy to see why Coors Light is so popular. When cold, it's virtually tasteless (especially from the bottle) - inoffensive, and arguably refreshing, given its characteristic similarity to water. But... in the long run, I would take virtually any beer over Coors Light, and really feel bad for some of the people who truly think that it is the be all and end all of beer.

2.15/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours, from a "Frost Brew Liner" can, a very pale yellow. It is very clear. It looks like water with a little lemonade mixed in. The head is small and white. It fades very fast, leaving no laces at all. It dosent even look like it ever had any head.

This beer smells slightly of corn. It has a very slight spicy aroma, but that might just be a figment of my imagination, of maybe the glass was not cleaned properly, and I can smell the last beer I had in it.

This beer is very lacking in any flavor at all. To simply talk shit about the adjuncts it is made with would be ignorant. I am having problems tasting anything at all. It does have a very slightly spicy flavor. Now I am trying to remember if I cleaned my glass.

This beer is crisp. It is as thin as water. I dont like it, so I wouldnt call it refreshing. It is carbonated well for the style. It leaves no aftertaste at all.

I think this beer would make a good session beer if you could stomach the flavor, or lack there of. Low alcohol makes it easy to put down a few.

Overall: I dont see how people could drink this shit. If they put a little flavor in it I might drink it. Water tastes better.

1.69/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Coors Light is straw in color and actively carbonated, with a grainy, cardboard- like aroma that is indicative of a beer brewed with adjuncts. It offers the taste of cereal grains, corn sugar, and little or no hops in the finish. It is very light and watery in taste, making it a good beer choice when you don’t really want to taste beer.

Coors Light is one of the top selling beers in the world, but don’t let this convince you that Coors Light sells well because of its quality. In reality, this is a poor excuse for a beer, with little or no taste and a flavor profile similar to its parent brew. It’s a beer to forget.

1.11/5  rDev -45.9%

Coors Light has a very watery taste, with little malt or hop influence. The colour is a very light yellow, and this relates to its light flavour. This beer has so little character, one has to wonder why so many people drink it. It would seem that most drink it to be social, as they feel the need to drink something, and this is the tamest it gets.

1.93/5  rDev -5.9%

A - It is a pale yellow that is highly carbonated. You actually can get a head on it if you pour it well enough. However, it doesn't last.

S - Smells of corn.

T - The corn flavor comes through. There may also be a hint of hops.

M - It is crisp but also can be a little too fizzy.

D - When it's free it's always drinkable. When your choices are limited to just Bud Light and Coors Light. I think I'll always grab the Coors Light.

1.93/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: Very light yellow. Lots of carbonation present, with no head.

Smell: This has a smell??

Taste: IMO the worst of the BMC. It has corn taste and the carbonation is just a little too much.

Mouthfeel: Average

Drinkability: Not really that good. After one or two the taste becomes intollerable.

Overall the worst of the macros. I see no reason to pick this up in the future.

2.69/5  rDev +31.2%

Ended up with an 18 pack somehow. Anyways, poured it into a mug and the head fizzled like sparkling lemonade or something like that. Was completely gone in 20 seconds, left literally nothing. No ring, nothing. Yellow? PALE YELLOW...palest clear beer I've ever seen beside a Belgian white. Smell wasn't too bad, doesn't reek of corn (Miller Lite) or smell like nothing (Michelob Ultra). Taste is interesting for a mass produced, light beer. It actually has a hop bite to it. I can't tell if it’s some kind of acidic metallic bitterness from the new can liners WHICH IS JUST SYNTHETICALLY PAINTED ON BY THE WAY. We tried melting, scratching, and separating the liner to no avail. It’s as smooth as the outer can, so I'm assuming its just bluish paint. The mouthfeel is fizzy water. The drinkability however? If these are ice, ice cold, it beats the Rodney King out of Miller Lite, no matter how much I hate Coors for donating to conservative causes and more extreme things like KKK-ish shady political campaigns in the south. The new Heineken Light has this pinned down by a sniper rifle though!

2.93/5  rDev +42.9%

I had this beer in the bottle this time and I don’t know there is just something I like about this beer. It’s not very complex and it’s unexciting at best but I can drink them all night and not want to stop. Most beers like this make me tired and sick but this one seems crisper. In the end I wouldn’t choose it over many of the beers out there but it is a great substitute for a glass of water.

Pours a poor yellow color without head and no lace; Smell is malty but weak; Flavor is watery, Light body; Lots of carbonation, Easy to drink, Refreshing.

I say again... I don´t like light lagers very much.

I think is better try this beer in bottle.

¡Salud!

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

When I want to drink a good beer, this is not the first thing I go for. Generally, I will work my way down a list before coming to this, but if I run into a beer list that looks like Amheuser and Coors wrote it, I will probably go with a Coors Light, or as I like to think of it, one of the lesser evils. It's piss water, let's be frank here. There's nothing to it but a little flavor and a little alcohol, but I can drink this stuff all night long and it won't bother me, it doesn't give you that nasty mouth tasts other cheap brands seem to. If you're going cheap, I guess go Coors Light.

1.65/5  rDev -19.5%

This is, in my opinion, the worst of the popular American macro-brews. It is Bud Light without the drinkability, color, and clever ad campaigns.

Pouring an average head, this beer always appears to me to be too light for even a macro-light. My biggest qualm with Coors Light is its severe drop in drinkability as the temperature goes up. Quite simply, this beer is undrinkable if not absolutely ice cold.

If you're looking for something to take out on the boat, look elsewhere. There are more drinkable swills out there for an equal or smaller price tag.

Coors Light from Coors Brewing Company