Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Reviews: 1,260 | Ratings: 4,958
3.41/5  rDev +66.3%

Good olde silver bullet! Now when I come to think of it im not the biggest light beer fan but I can always go back for this great brew.

One of the best brews to abuse when I was younger. Has the standerd color but the smell was something differnt , of corse in cans/bottle's always good; but when I had this on tap had a differnt taste(more abv and pine/gin smell) same for taste smooth and refreshing.

Of corse this is by far the very BEST cheapest/light/american/bar beer out the, and I still to this day buy 18 packs.... (when Im poor)

But yes great beer , always a good one!

3.4/5  rDev +65.9%

Coors Light isn't getting much love from BA. It isn't an elite beer, but it isn't a bad choice if you want to have a few ice cold, refreshing beers. It's also a very affordable option if you're low on cash, a better choice than the other cheap light beers. Don't be afraid to take a ride on the Silver Bullet.

3.38/5  rDev +64.9%

On first sip I taste the pure a natural taste of The Rockies.. This is great!... Cold, refreshing, tastes great. As I continue to drink I think I understated my first statement and blasphemed the true king of light beers. Seriously though it's a good light beer for what it is.

3.36/5  rDev +63.9%

I got a tall boy of this at Baconfest 2011 because it was either this or something worse. It's not bad for the style.
It's the typical lager gold color. The aroma has a bit of wheat and not much else. The taste, light wheat and corn, but not much of them. It goes down super easy and finishes clean. The body is typical for the style. For a light lager it's decent but for the typical beer geek there's plenty of brews out there that would be more satisfying. In short, it's light and thin, but clean.

3.35/5  rDev +63.4%

Not much to say about this one. Others have covered the details quite well, I just wanted to mention one thing about it. It's a typical American light beer, with one really annoying quirk.

It's just terribly inconsistent. Within the same 12 pack of bottles I noticed that most were typical "watery" American light lagers, but there were a few bottles that were much, much more hoppy than the rest, bordering on a pale ale flavor, and then there were a few bottles that had no trace of hops whatsoever, but were extremely malty... Very sweet and "bread-like"....

None of them were "bad", but I find it a bit troublesome that within a 12 pack of what is supposed to be the same thing, I found 3 very distinct tasting beers.

Sadly, this is not a one time event. This is my non-beer-drinking wife's favorite beer, so we tend to cycle a fair amount of Coors Light through the house.... I've been noticing this pattern with Coors Light at least for the past 5 years, in both bottles and cans.

3.34/5  rDev +62.9%

Appearance: 1 inch head, high carbonation, straw yellow in color, clear

Smell: grass, bitter hops, some skunkiness

Taste: light grain, grass, small hops

Mouthfeel: sweetish start with a slightly bitter end, high carbonation, super light body

Drinkability: For the style this is fairly good. I was surprised with how drinkable this is. There are other styles I would reach for first, but if I wanted a light lager, I could session these. Although watery, it seems like a good beer for outdoor work.

3.34/5  rDev +62.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass while it's SUPER COLD!! THANKS COACH!

A- It looks really pale with a tiny white bubbly head that dissappears quickly

S- it smells a lot better than the miller light I just had. Some corn scents but also smells sweeter than most "lower class" beers

T- Hmmm I'm very surprised. It's significantly better than bud and miller lights. Sweet taste of corn but not really terrible

M- Feels like drinkin a fountain soda

O- For what beers this is compared too this is amazing! But to compare this to other beers isn't fair as it sucks in that regard. That being said, I'm going to compare this to Bud and Miller and give it a thumbs up

3.33/5  rDev +62.4%

Toasty, dry, slightly bitter (although not nearly as nasty-bitter as some of its contemporaries), softly tart/sour/acidic, corny, grainy, cardboardish.

It's not really worth describing the flavor, so let's talk about it.

It doesn't lack flavor as many would argue, and indeed what it has going for it overall is more bad than good, but that still leaves it somewhere in the middle as far as I am concerned. Hands down, Coors Light is not bad. Period. In the world of Light Lagers, it's got to be a top contender; in the world of all beer - ignoring stylistic guidelines - it just can't compete (and it's not supposed to). It's not fair for me to say it's boring or putrid because I like IPAs and RISs. Furthermore, I have had more undrinkable interesting-style beers (IPAs, Stouts, Pale Ales, Tripels, and so on) than undrinkable Light beers. Yes. Sure, the enjoyment/appreciation I can muster for the engineering behind a Light beer cannot even compare to the artistic/aesthetic enjoyment I derive from a tight Barleywine, but I would never expect it to; it's not supposed to. The volume and reproducibility that commercial breweries like Miller/Coors are able to achieve year after year, across the nation is spectacular even if one does not understand the sort of black magic that fermentation is.

In reviewing typically low-scoring-styled beers I am torn between judging the beer solely on style, or judging the beer solely on flavor/enjoyment, or where in between to judge. Coors Light is a great Light Lager and a decently drinkable beer (for those to whom (or times when) big flavor is not warranted) [sic, imbedded parenthesis, alright!]. In order to fit into the well worn standards on this site (I love BA, all hail, but really I'm not nitpicking) I am splitting my scoring between overall enjoyment in the whole world of all beer versus stylistic achievement. For this I rate Coors Light higher than average, but lower than I feel I ought to. I don't know what else to do.

On a less serious note, the mountains turn blue when it's cold enough to drink (sadly mine are grey), it has a vented wide mouth for ease of consumption (gulp), and it has a frost brew liner whatever the hell that is (it locks in the frost brewed taste, they say). They have a note to 'do something cool. Recycle.' I'm cool. Ooo!, get this, they also give you the calories (102), carbs (5), protein (0.7), and fat (sadly none). Word.

3.33/5  rDev +62.4%

You've seen all the other reviews for appearnce, smell, blah blah blah. In my opinion, this is THE best tasting macro in the united states. Not just the best tasting light beer, BUT the best tasting macro. Sure, it doesn't have a strong beer taste, but when compared with bud and miller which taste less like beer and more like urine (from what i've been told that urine tastes like anyway), Coors light will always be my choice in a macro. Clean, refreshing taste. Definitely an exeption among macros.

3.33/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This beer is extremely light and crisp. However, comparing this beer to non-light beers is to compare apples to oranges. If you are on a budget and watching your calories, Coors Light is a great choice.

3.32/5  rDev +62%

I am going to review this with only light beers in mind. I like the high carbonation. I like to feel the bite when I drink my beer. Light don't have much in the taste and smell department, but as far as light beers go this has the best flavor to me. It feels good on the palate and is very east to drink on a hot afternoon.

3.31/5  rDev +61.5%

Best in it's class. Normally stock up on these fro parties and get-togethers. I'm not saying that I'm a diehard Coors fan but other beers in this section are much worse. Overall it's a very mild (watery) brew but the flavor is decent. Goes well with party foods. Not very aromatic but most people who stock up on coors don't care about that anyway. I approve.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Coors Light brewed by Coors Brewing Company. This brew has an ABV 4.2% and it pours out a light amber color with a small white head. The head to Coors Light goes away fast. This brew has the look of most light brews on the market. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Coors Light smells like beer. You pick up on grains and malts. There is also a hit of hops at the end of the smell. So far I like this brew. As far as taste, there is not much there. Light body with a smooth sweetness. There are some nice grians and malts in the taste of this brew. Not much to write home about, it is light. It is almost like drinking water with a hit of beer. Coors Light goes down smooth, and it is refreshing. There is nothing bad about this brew. However I feel there could be more to it. To me this brew is really light but it is to be expecited. Coors light is a nice driking brew. Coors Light has a ok balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel is clean, smooth, and refreshing. Overall I'm giving Coors Light a 3.25 out 5. I would buy this brew again. Coors Brewing Company did an ok job with this one.

3.3/5  rDev +61%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Typical of beers of its type. Light amber-yellow, minimal white head.

S - Little bit of malt, some corn, mostly the usual. But it has a bit of an Earthy smell that also appears in the taste.

T - Mostly the same tastes listed in the smell category. An Earthiness that I like. Doesn't appear in all other adjuncts.

M - Light, carbonated, drinkable. Kinda dry.

O - Not my favorite macro but it'll always do the trick. Decent stuff.

3.3/5  rDev +61%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

For the style:
APPEARANCE: A crystal clear straw/golden. A finger of quickly dissipating white, foamy head. Lots of medium bubbles rising up. No real lacing to speak of.
AROMA: All I really smell is something that reminds me of faint banana. The yeast maybe?
TASTE: Again, very faint banana.
FEEL: Nice full carbonation, very light body, watery, but since there isn't much for flavor the carbonation really helps.
OVERALL: Biggest thing going for this is I have it VERY cold and it is effervescent and refreshing, with no real weird tastes. Very seltzer like, be great on a hot day at the lake.

3.3/5  rDev +61%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, this is another beer, this was really difficult to drink. Why?. Because it has additives that make it really heavy in the palate, I mean, really annoying and far from being a refreshing beer. Seems like trying to get you out of beers. The colour was a little green and that speaks bad about a beer, and almost no foam.

3.28/5  rDev +60%

"the silver bullet" good for 2 things, killin warewolves and pounding until you cant stand up. i like to take coors light tailgating because i can drink these things like water when im in a pinch for time. the taste is bland, not much flavor here so you dont mind it when it dribbles down you chin onto your shirt and then onto the ground. i have a late cousin that drank this religiously so ill crack one open in memory of him sometimes. all usefullness aside there's nothing special about coors light. i must say though when its ice cold i have been know to drink these like a bastard.

3.28/5  rDev +60%

A good light beer if you want to drink more than a few. Very light on the stomach, and has an almost chocolate taste. This beer is good for taking on a fishing trip or camping. Don't expect a great beer, but it is better than most light beers out there.

3.25/5  rDev +58.5%

Fizzy yellow pee looking.
Biscuit aroma.
Light biscuit flavor and very watery. Very refreshing.
Light, thin body.

I am very disappointed in some of the reviews of this beer made by the top reviewers. They disparage the people who give high ratings to these types of beers, as they are non-discriptive of the beers, however their reviews are no more helpful. Merely commenting on the beer's naming, or as waste is not an intelligent or helpful review.

3.23/5  rDev +57.6%

Nothing I can say we don't all already know. It's a cheap American beer produced for the masses. I actually like this beer and if I'm drinking bmc and am going the light route this is my preference. A solid beer when holding a party or football related event.

3.22/5  rDev +57.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.25

I really like this beer. Yes there are better beers but this one always finds its way into my fridge. You have to remember what you're buying, I'm not buying a Sam Adams or a Columbus IPA your buying a beer that's meant to be drank on a hot summer day. It's got decent flavor and it's a solid beer. When I get home I toss a couple of silver bullets into the freezer, have supper then pack a pipe and enjoy a couple beers after a hard days work with good beer and good tobacco.

3.22/5  rDev +57.1%

A- A pale clear golden color, slightly watered down look to it.

S- Watery, yet has a good smell.

T- Metal-ish taste, surprisingly smooth.

M- Watered down.

D- Very easy to drink! This is one of my main choices to drink when I'm just sitting at home.

Notes: They're not the strongest beers, but at the same time if you drink a lot of them you don't have to worry about taping out. A lot of the local stores near here serve them from a 6-Pack, up to a 30-Pack. Prices are some what cheep, so by all means, have at it.

3.21/5  rDev +56.6%

Coors Light!

My favorite of the light, mass produced beers. Pours a clear, golden color. Virtually no head, but the liquid is so clear it's almost forgivable.

Smell is like water. Seriously. Water. Some corn. And water.

Tastes like water. With a bit of starchy flavor. But very light and refreshing. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is also like....WATER! Again, very light and refreshing, but not a lot of substance to it.

3.2/5  rDev +56.1%

Coors Light has been getting hammered by fellow advocates and I think it's because we're missing the true reason for this brew. Sure Coors Light is by no stretch of the imagination a "good" beer; but that's not what it's all about. It's not a beer for the middle aged, Guinness drinking connoisseur, this is a beginner beer. A lackluster brew for that high school kid just entering the world of beer. A brew for fifteen year old Johnny who's just a double duece away from getting to second base with Suzie down the street. That's who this beer is for. So while many beers are mediocre and bland, at least the Silver Bullet serves a purpose in being so.

3.2/5  rDev +56.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

IF I was given the task of finding a slogan for CL.. I'd go with: Ice Cold Coors Light.. It Is What It Is!
I've been drinking CL for about 30 years, and have no complaints. I've never tired of it. CL goes good with seafood, steak, BBQ, chicken.. it would probably pair well with a shit sandwich.

You can start your night out with CL, move on to craft..or if your feeling a little buzzed off your craft beer, you can downshift and have a CL. Does it taste like a topnotch brew.. no, but it doesn't have to. It's so light, hangovers are almost a thing of the past. My favorite all-time macro, by leaps and bounds.

Coors Light from Coors Brewing Company