Coors Light | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Reviews: 1,273 | Ratings: 5,035
2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Very clear,highly carbonated,with almost no head. Aroma of light grain,and a fake sweetness.Crisp flavor,very little actual flavor.No hops no malt. Very overpriced for what it is. One of the better macro light beers but just not very good beer . Stinky if you let it get warm.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

I love this beer for what it is. It is the only macro-brew that I have ever, and will ever repeatedly purchase. I usually drink it straight from the can, but I once poured it into a chalice and it was a little better. No overpowering scent, but I got a decent head on it and it was very pleasant to drink. It has a grainy aftertaste that I like and the alcohol does not overpower your tongue like it does in some other lower-tier beers. In my opinion, it is the best of the light beers and macro-breweries.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Pound this beer. I like water. I like beer. Why not call this beer water? Coors prides itself on using water 'fresh from the rockies'. Well, I guess this is everyones chance to taste that. A good beer to have on a lunch break, because nobody would know you were drinking at lunch. I have to admit, this is my favorite run of the mill american macro-brew.

A- transparent. Light yellow. Yes, pisslike.

S- it almost smells like beer

T- it almost tastes like water

M- Highly carbonated and super light

D- All day. No problem drinking this at any time of day or night with no other choice.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

This is often my cheap, quantity beer of choice when buying beer from a grocery store.
It's pale and uncrafted; no aroma to speak of or write home about. The taste is mild and watery, the mouthfeel is bubbly, perhaps over carbonated.
Inoffensive and relatively refreshing. When I'm not in the mood for something interesting this tends to be beer I go for... this or Pabst Blue Ribbon... but this is always findable in stores around here.
The shiny silver cans are appealing!
That's about it for Coors Light.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured into a pilsener glass when the mountains were blue, for a taste as cold as the rockies:

A: Lots of carbonation, little head with immediate dispersal, no lacing. Golden -yellow.

S: Not much there, possibly some grains.

T: Not much here either. Not bitter and not really sweet.

M: Pronounced carbonation, not overwhelming. Watery.

D: This is where this beer shines. It is extremely drinkable, especially when you are not in want of an overpowering or expensive brew, but are in desire to knock back a sixer to get feelin' good. I suppose it does what it sets out to do: be a quintessential light American macro.

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

When I want to drink a good beer, this is not the first thing I go for. Generally, I will work my way down a list before coming to this, but if I run into a beer list that looks like Amheuser and Coors wrote it, I will probably go with a Coors Light, or as I like to think of it, one of the lesser evils. It's piss water, let's be frank here. There's nothing to it but a little flavor and a little alcohol, but I can drink this stuff all night long and it won't bother me, it doesn't give you that nasty mouth tasts other cheap brands seem to. If you're going cheap, I guess go Coors Light.

2.71/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pale yellow in color with a fingernail of eggshell white around the rim. I smell faint aroma of corn and Hallertau hops. I taste just what I smelled, a basic blend of corn and Hallertau hops. The mouth was light and crisp.

2.71/5  rDev +32.2%

Coors Light works for me in the following ways. Out of a cooler packed with ice on a hot summer day doing any of the following activities :
Backyard BBQ, Mowing The Lawn, A day at the track or any sporting event, or just hanging with friends and family.

I have to be honest, that I have probably had more Coors Light than any other beer. The golf cart girl has few choices, and is usually stocked full of these and Miller Lite.

Best served ice cold - as cold as you can get em. Now - I would not compare these to any of the craft beers in any way shape of form. But, I do enjoy drinking these beers when the occasion presents itself. There is nothing special about them at all, just a crisp, cold, refreshing beverage, that goes down easy, tastes good, and if you are in the mood to have more than a few, these will do the job!

Most of my friends are not into craft beers, and if we go out for a few pitchers, this will be what we get.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

Okay, Okay, this isn't the best beer in the world, but let's just go back and take a look at a fairly common cheap beer.

Pours a very pale straw color. A nice head while pouring, but it subsides immediately. The smell is really faint, and there's not much there. The taste is pretty bland. Can't taste very much hops or malt, only the faint trace of alcohol. Tastes a lot like how club soda would taste after eating a bunch of bread. The mouthfeel is bland as well. Too much carbonation. As a general beverage, this isn't so bad. A nice cold one is alright, and it's light enough so that I can really quench my thirst on this if it were a hot day. As beer, however, this is fairly disappointing.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

A - Golden straw color. Pours a 3 finger fluffy head that dissapears in seconds. Medium effervesence. Leaves no lacing.

S - Very grainy. Smells like a bag of corn chips to be honest.

T - Very oily grain taste. The finish is not crisp really. But drinkable. Possibly the cleanest tasting of the Big 3 to be honest.

M - Very thin and watery. Not much else to say.

D - Very high. The carbonation is the only thing holding you back if you wanted to just slug this down. But the grainy aftertaste this beer made me want a drink of water.

Final Thoughts: Drinkable and sessionable. Thats definitely the only point to this beer (as well as the marketing campaign). But would certainly NOT be my first choice at the beer store.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

Serving notes: shaker glass, room temp
A - very light adjunct (corn) aroma, little else
A - one finger of head that quickly dissipates. Very pale clear yellow.
M - Light body, medium carbonation.
T - Same faint adjuncty flavor that I smelled in the aroma, very little else in the way of hops. Very clean finish.
D - As drinkable as water although not quite as good at room temp. Good at one price - free.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

By far the best of the Big three light beers. However by no means is this the golden standarad of beer.
A- Your standard micro- horse piss yellow foam quickly dissapates leaving little or no lacing behind
S- less grotesque than its big three counterparts, but nothing to brag about
T- nothing great but nothing horrible either. Heavy on the carbonation, like most macros
M- bubbly, almost like a coke. No real special flavors, but as stated before when compared to its constituants, its okay
D- If you are in college and need a cheap beer, and are unfortunate enough to live somewhere that doesnt have a wide selection of beer, than this is for you

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: I was assured the bottle I was about to consume was not only cold, but Super Cold indicated by the snowy rocky peaks on the front of the bottle. Since this was the case, I immediatly poured it into a pint glass aggresively so as not to miss out on the super coldness. Doing this I was greated by a four finger head that fell quickly allowing me to pour the rest of the beer into the glass. The body was a straw yellow color, a shade lighter than a baby chick.

S: While I would normally use my sence of smell to determine if the beer was cold the visual indicator took my attention away from the temperature and more towards the corn like scent and mineral like vibe of the beer.

T: A subtle taste of corn sweetness and a musty foot like vibe.

M: Crisp and cleeeeann. High Carbonation and low low body.

O: Of the light lagers this one is probably my prefered. Super clean and crisp but drink it cold in the bottle.

2.72/5  rDev +32.7%

Reviewed from notes, because light lagers need some attention, too!

A: The bottle has blue mountains, so I know I have a cold and refreshing beer waiting to be enjoyed by me. The pour is clear and a sickly pale straw color. I don't know that I've seen a lighter hued beer than the one sitting right in front of me. A small white head fizzes down to nothing almost as quickly as it was formed.
S/T/M: Faint corn and spiciness that's mildly reminiscent of a wheat ale on the nose. Flavors aren't quite skunky, but they're also far from fresh. It's virtually tasteless, really. It's watery, like I'm drinking water that soaked grains for roughly 5 seconds. The grain that's there is at least fresh tasting and spicy, but I really had to pull the flavor recognition from somewhere deep down inside.
D: Coors Light is just that, a lighter version of an already watery beer. I suppose a few of these wouldn't hurt on a super hot day when you don't quite want water but you don't quite want beer, either. I reviewed this beer keeping in mind the style, which is what I think a lot of craft beer drinkers forget. Light/adjunct lagers aren't my first (or second or third, etc) choice, but they are what they are.

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

Appearance: Basically the same as Bud Light, but flatter.

Smell: Not skunked so that's good. Kind of refreshing and grainy. Pretty watery though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Watery but smooth and pretty refreshing, especially when compared to Bud Light.

Drinkability: Refreshing when very cold, which it stays like for a while compared to the Keystone variety.

Overall: College students! Pay the extra few bucks and get something refreshing like this. Coors Light is the most neutral of the light macros, and thereofore the least offensive for many.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A 20-ounce draught of Coors Light at a local restaurant.

Appearance - pale yellow colour with 1/8-inch sustained surface bubbles. Much carbonation.

Smell - faint smell of light malt and corn.

Taste - thin flavours of adjuncty-sweetness as well as a very basic hop bitterness at the end. Served very cold so flavours are secondary.

Mouthfeel - like drinking a pop, except not sugary like a pop. But beer flavoured carbonated water nonetheless.

Drinkability - enjoyed the beer with a spicy peppery chicken plate. Didn't offend, got the job done. Fairly refreshing on a hot day with some decent grub.

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

An average American macro lager that I drank recently for free at a friend's house. I have never paid for this beer and would never pay for this beer. This beer is the typical pale yellow color you'd expect for this type of beer. Smell is of ??? No real identifiable smell. There was a slight smell of something but I am not quite sure what it was. Very, very little head. This didn't taste as bad as I thought it would. I think it actually tasted a little better this time than in past times that I had it. Taste is just slightly sweet, and tastes of some corn with a faint trace of hops. It has a clear, clean mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Although at the time it was somewhat refreshing, this beer certainly does not impress me at all. I would only drink it again for free, and only if there was nothing else better available at the time. That being said, for whatever reason, this beer certainly is better than Bud Light or Miller Lite.

Eric

Alrighty,

Appearance: Pours a light straw with lots of bubbles and a small white head.

Smell: not much here, can't smell much of anything. Maybe a slight malt.

Taste: Taste light and refreshing. Malty but not Hoppy. Thou I do find the taste kinda one dimensional.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery. Very good feel when drank cold and again refreshing.

Drinkability: Not bad the taste can wear thin over time.

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

ap. Very very light yellow. clear as can be.
Sm. Don't know, couldn't smell anything at all.
Ta. Well, it tasted kind of like beer flavored water, but not that bad. I'd just came from work, hot and thirsty and hungry. Maybe I just drank it like water. Anyway, it wasn't bad, just not much flavor at all.
Mf. Like I said, it went down like water.
Dr. Sure, I could drink lots of these. It was $2 Coors Light drafts on Tuesday.

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

Clean, clear, light-golden, w/ ok head for a light beer.

Smells mildly grainy w/ a slight aroma o piss.

Tastes like water w/ a bit o graininess and carbonation

Cold it is decently crisp and carbonated. You gotta make sure those mountains are blue unless you're chugging/shotgunning/beer bonging, etc. hahaha

I can take these down all day especially if drinking games are involved... way too easy though.

2.74/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer brings me a lot of memories, it was back 20 years ago my favorite session beer.
Refreshing aroma of vanilla lemon.
Light golden color with a thin head with low retention.
Very crisp flavor, probably uses more rice than corn as an adjunct once you don't get much of the usual annoying cardboard. Hints of pine and flowers, its best quality.
Mildly dry with a refreshing aftertaste.
Watery body with medium carbonation.
Really a thirst quencher, given its body is too light. But it has no off-flavors as most adjunct lagers. I would like to see a premium version of this, more malty and quadruplicating its hops with the same yeast.

2.75/5  rDev +34.1%

During periods of economic crisis and unemployment, I find myself reaching for a Coors before resorting to other domestic cheap brews.

She reminds me a plump date I once had.

Coors is certainly not the hottest dane at the ball, but she does manage to quench my thirst for cheap "let's get drunk" brew better than other domestics. I would not take her on a serious date (on-tap) and consider her fun to ride as long as my beer-mindful friends remain ignorant of our romping.

She comes in a round can, smells just a tad funky (having forgotten her perfume), and tastes like water. But, once you've had a few cans, she looks good enough to keep drinking.

A decent fall back beer for hard times, really.

2.75/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at Smoke + Cedar.

I'm not a Coors Light guy, and the occasions to have can or two are few and far between. This special occasion came from walking a mile on a warm night, the last 1/8 of a mile uphill.

Bar had good selection of crafts, but I was already hammered and a little thirsty. This is the niche that Coors Light, et al fill - you want to have a pop but sometimes on a hot day/night the good stuff is just too good. Coors Light and a glass of water fit the bill.

That being said, there is little else to recommend it. I don't think the Silver Bullet is brewed for making memories. It's brewed to be guzzled, and Coors does a good job in delivering what the guzzlers want.

2.75/5  rDev +34.1%

Crackly, thin, watery. Very light and easy for those who like to drink water. Not too much taste, very incoherent. Would go good with shrimp,. oysters and other easy seafood since it would not burden the food. Good for a hot, sunny day at the track...car racing, horse racing, etc. But for a beer advocate, nothing at all.

GLASS: Pilsener Glass
TEMP: Fridge chilled to approx 38 degrees
24oz TallBoy Can (Purchased in Kansas/full-strength)

Pale, straw yellow, in color, with a light orange tint to it. The fizzy, white, head fades rapidly. What's this 'lacing' thing that I keep hearing about? (Haha!)

Very mild nose. Hard to find any scent there at all. Light graininess. Slight citrus.

Tastes like seltzer water with a lemon twist, right after eating popcorn. Very minimal flavor, but not nearly as bad as I remember it being, the last time that I tasted it....years ago.

Almost medium-bodied and high levels of carbonation. Tastes crisp and clean. Lightly refreshing.

Thanks, but no thanks.