Coors Light | Coors Brewing Company

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Reviews: 1,263 | Ratings: 4,984
2.95/5  rDev +43.9%

This beer is meant to be a cold refreshing beer, and it is just that. This is a beer that is to be drank on a hot, sunny day. It doesn't have a strong flavor, and it's not very malty. It is a thin, refreshing beer in order to quench a thirst.
This can also be considerty beer for a party. It goes down easy and is a better choice than many others out there.

2.78/5  rDev +35.6%

The appearance is a light yellow. The aroma was light and smelled faintly of the malted grain. The taste was crisp and moderately carbonated with a light body and light bitterness. The mouthfeel was average and crisp. I felt that the drinkability was pretty good for this beer as it was refreshing and could easilly be followed with another round. Although I'm not one for light macro lagers, I felt that this beer was pretty good for it's style and can probably compete with beers that have a bit more body. In short, this beer doesn't have alot of taste, but makes an excellent refreshing light beer for a BBQ or a hot day.

3.52/5  rDev +71.7%

I hate rating products like this, but I do it occasionally because I feel it is neccessary. So many people rate macros and trash them. I think that's rediculous. What? That Miller Lite doen't have any stewed plums or raisins in the smell? It's piss yellow?! You don't say? No shit it doesn't have the attributes of a 90 minute IPA or a fine crafted Tripel or Quadruppel. It isn't supposed to. These are different products marketed toward a different crowd of folks. In the way of macros, I think Coors Lt. is easily one of the the best. It LOOKS thirst quenching. Anyone ever looked at a 8.0%abv porter or stout and thought, "That''ll quench my thirst".? Hell no. Coors light looks appealing when it's hotter than 400 hells and you can chug gallons of it. It isn't gonna win any contests, but it's cheap, thirst quenching, and suits the purpose it was meant for.

2.45/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours out a quite light golden. White head. no frills. smell is a tad sour, but really just smells like all the others of the style. The taste is a touch lighter and more watery than its equals, some adjunct taste. Nothing really here, but can be quite a thirst quencher. Nothing special with the mouthfeel. good carbonation, not much balance.

Overall this bud and bud light were the beers i first choose to drink in the style. many memories with this beer, but cant say its a good one.

2.52/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out looking like i made a cocktail of 50% Coors original and 50% water. Bubbly head when poured fiercely, but then dies out HARD. Smells of cooked grain and that odd cooked vegetable smell. Flavors start off as plain, sweet grains which then leads into an oddly found, and pleasant, light white grape backdrop. Very watery in the mouth with an almost painful amount of carbonation. Finishes dry. Decent drinkability as there really isn't much to this, much like water.

This beer is awfully lackluster, and I'm not one to knock macros (I love several of them). This isn't necessarily a bad beer, just a beer that lacks a great deal of things.

1.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Let me preface my remarks on this beer by stating that I have only ever consumed this when it has been free. In this instance, I partook of a Coors Light or two in a tent at the Houston Rodeo BBQ Cookoff. I used it in place of water for rehydrating purposes in between whiskey drinks.

Among all the standard American Light Lagers, CL has by far the most offensive flavor. Whereas some of the others are more or less completely neutral and flavorless, CL in fact does have a flavor, and it's heinous. If you must drink this beer I suggest cooling it as close to freezing as possible so as to mute the flavor to the greatest extent. DO NOT let this beer warm up.

Coors likes to advertise that they have the "coldest tasting beer in the world" and that CL is "frost brewed" or some such nonsense. First of all, "cold" is not a flavor, it is a relative expression of temperature. And what is "frost brewing?" By definition, the brewing process requires heating and boiling. At least they have the courage to admit this on their website. Coors is also fond of bragging that their beer is shipped cold, and kept at near-zero Rocky Mountain Temperatures at every stage of the shipping process. Well, I once asked the driver of a Coors truck if his truck was refridgerated. The answer: No. I wrote Coors a letter informing them of this and received a standard reply thanking me for my interest in Coors and -- get this -- asking me return a survey rating my satisfaction with their response.

I can see I've digressed. The bottom line is that CL is a pretty undrinkable beer even for a Macro Lager. I will continue to avoid drinking this beer except for under circumstances such as the one described above.

1.35/5  rDev -34.1%

This is another beer that I got a local bar for only a $1 draft. It came to me in a standard 12oz. pint and wasn't too cold either.

When it came to me it was a pale yellow color with a small head of foam and that dissipated fast into nothing. There was even a lack of carbonation bubbles through out the pint glass. Smell? I wish. I didn't get any aroma whatsoever. Sometimes I caught just a little whiff of malt. The taste and mouthfeel were all the same, light and watery. Maybe not the same, the taste was kind of grainy. I could see paying a dollar for this on draft, if there was nothing else around.

2.05/5  rDev 0%

If you're going to choose between this and Bud Light, go with Bud Light. The appearance of a Coors light is light yellow/gold with a small white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing on the glass obviously. Smell is inconsequential -- nothing really to it. Grainy. Just like the taste. Mouthfeel is OK -- smooth going down. This is the type of beer you have to have ice cold at a summer bbq with a burger or hot dog to really enjoy.

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Friends drink this sometimes and if offered will not decline. Pours clear yellow piss color. Has a very small head that does not like to stick around. Could not pick up a good whiff of the scent. Taste like... water, guess thats what a real light beer is. Mouthfeel is like carbonated water. Dont buy just drink for free.

1.22/5  rDev -40.5%

I was offered this last night at a local bar so just to be nice and avoid looking snobbish I accepted. A pale barely straw yellow color with nasty aromas of grains and nothing else. Taste and mouthfeel were of hard tap-water, no real taste at all just subtle disturbing chemical and organic suggestions but overall a very odd beverage. I can't imagine why people would want to drink this, even among other macros I can see some redeeming value in a few of them....this one is the worst beer i've tried making it worth a review.

1.72/5  rDev -16.1%

There is very little redeeming quality to this beverage that I guess is actually beer (though who would know it). Watery and thin, it is almost insulting. If I were going to drink a light beer I'd rather drink a Straub Light.
This beer is pale clear yellow. It has very little aroma but with enough effort you can find hints of corn and alcohol in the nose. The taste is just water. Cold water that had an ear of corn sitting in it for a while. There does not seem to be any distinguishable malt or hop characteristics just hard water that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin. Its just carbonated water. Drinkability. It is not bad enough that I would make a scene if someone (out of the kindness of their heart) graciously offered me a can; but I would never seek one out as long as it was avoidable. If the only purpose of this beer is a cheep drunk, then get a cheap bottle of Vodka and a gallon of water and you'll get just as much drunk per dollar for much less unpleasant taste. IMHO. Anyway...

Hope this is helpful.

1.6/5  rDev -22%

Pale straw with little head retention at all. The smell is just like any cheap adjunt beer-corny. The taste is pretty awful. It has a shit beer taste which i sorta like a bit but i mean it's still pretty bad for that. There is way too little beer taste to this. It's like water! The mouthfeel is like water as well. I have not yet drank a more watery beer. I felt like I was drinking Zima. The drinkability is low cause i can't stand drinking something this unsatisfying and gross. I gave it half a point more cause I figure if you wanted to get sloshed on this (which is probably why poeple buy it mostly) you can. It's so watery I could drink like 5 of these and feel lnothing as far as the stomach goes.

3.04/5  rDev +48.3%

Poured from a can into nonik bearing lots of white frothy foam that finely laces the glass as it diminishes to a broken layer over a clear beer with a light golden hue having visible bubbles rising throughout
Aroma of bread soaked with malted cider, then if anything, slight alcohol
First sip starts out watery followed by a lightly sweet in-between light/med body brew
Hops IBU’s must be hovering the human threshold somewhere below 15 since they are detected and quickly vanish in short duration
Brewed to be light in calories makes it what it is – thanks to science - to me it’s a
Clean refreshing malted beverage to cleanse the palate at the end of the sessions

Yes you can try this at home

1.24/5  rDev -39.5%

Appearance - Pale yellow with about an inch and a half of foam, along with carbonation bubbles.

Smell - Nothing special. Perhaps the coldness of the beer eliminated the smell completely.

Taste - Worst beer, hands down. Tastes like soap. Only way to drink it is to cool it to sub freezing temperatures and drink it as fast as possible. Very skunky beer when even remotely warm.

Drinkability - Stay away. Worst cheap beer, imo.

1.82/5  rDev -11.2%

This pours a dull straw color with a small head that leaves quicker than you on payday.The smell sort of reminds me of vegatables cooking and not much else.The taste is like water.The Mouthfeel is too weak and watery for my blood. I drank 30 in one sitting before and had no buzz!!!

Pours a typical macro lager yellow from a twelve ounce bottle. Smells pretty bad, mostly tasteless. My first encounter with the silver bullet came many years ago in college. It was one of the beers of choice for mass swilling because of its lack of taste, which can only be described as watery. Okay for what it is.

2.85/5  rDev +39%

Drank straight from the bottle. I was at my friends' house for a weekend pre-game, pre-game to an IU game. My friend is just obssesed with this beer, saying it's "the greatest beer of all time". Wow, I am sorry. Anyway, I didn't get a good look at it obviously, but I would imagine in my head a light yellow color. The smell- nothing spectacular, I mean it wasn't a turn off, but it wasn't anything that would attract me to drinking it. It wasn't powerful either. The taste was just all around average.

I will give it credit, of most cheap beers, like really cheap on sale beers, I would drink this over any those beers. It is refreshing, it isn't filling, it isn't expensive, it does it's job right? I mean what could you expect? I think it does its job, so for that I give it credit, and I would drink it at a party, but it's not something I'm stocking in my fridge either.

2.55/5  rDev +24.4%

finally got around to having a Coors Light, the Silver Bullet. well, i don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. This beer is monumentally crappy! just terrible, it should be illegal to call it beer. no color, no taste, poor mouthfeel, Drinkability is absolutely incredibly awesome as this beer slides down like water and with the low alc. content i could down a boatload of these in a very short time - i guess therein lies the appeal.

anyway, you know the story, another horrendous light beer, possibly the worst of the bunch. quite an accomplishment.

i dont usually bother reviewing beers that i despise, i dont really see the point, but i figured i should review at least one so i knew what it felt like to totally bash a beer . Here goes. This is a bad bad beer, colorless, flavorless odorless, much like carbon monoxide, you should try and avoid it at all costs. Mcro lagers usually benefit from being extremely cold, this one almost evaporates when extremely cold, and as it warms up , well lets just say it would be better if it did evaporate. Ill never understand why this beer is so popular, never.

1.11/5  rDev -45.9%

A bunch of friends left a few shitty macro lagers at my apartment, so I figured I would review them. Coors Light is the grand finale. Pours lightest of them all so far. Decent head retention and some lacing. Hardly any smell at all besides a light sulfur smell and some stale grain. Taste is very gross. At least Bud Light had the thoughtfulness to taste like nothing. There are some crisp hops at the end but that doesn't make up for the sickly tasting spoiled grain and sulfur taste. Just terrible.

1.9/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Alright, this is not so much an actively disagreeable beer, as it is a very light malt alcohol drink of some sort masquerading as beer. That's why I give it such a low rating. While I don't like it, I can definately drink plenty of it, because the taste is really quite weak.
Appearance- Very light yellow. Not even bright, like a cheap Macro that's been watered down further, which it is.
Smell- Even Origional doesn't have much of a scent. This has a very faint smell of hops, that's it.
Taste- Almost none, what's there is still disagreeable to me. No grains at all, lots of water and carbonatation, a little bit of hops that I don't like.
Mouthfeel- Like seltzer water.
Drinkability- Pretty good. It's so light and watery anyone could do keg stands with the stuff. But why would you want to?

Conclusion- I think this is actually near-beer. When I worked for a minor league baseball team's food concession service, I once sold a guy a dozen pint bottles of this stuff. I kept selling because I couldn't hear him slurr or see his movements change at all. That about sums Coors Light up. Its only mildly unappealing, but it also isn't really beer. So only godawful Budwieser gets a worse rating so far. And even Bud tries to formulate something that at least parody's beer. If you drink this, order a vodka and tonic or vodka and soda next time and just admit you don't like beer. Or if you're ordering this because you've had too much to drink already or need to drive home, once again stop pretending. Do your tastebuds and body a favor and get a bottled water.

2.25/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer was tasted from a bottle in a Pilsner Glass.

The beer pours golden but there is no head and it does not hold or lace. The smell is not to chemical but there isn't much of a smell at all. The taste is quite watered down but there is nothing especially harsh about the taste. It is carbonated well, fairly smooth and not to oily but really watery. Overall quite easy going down for a light macro beer.

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours a super pale yellow, straw yellow, big white head forms but goes quickly, no lace. Smell is sweet, some minor skunk, citrus and corn. Taste is non existent, some corn sweetness, citrus and a little bit of iron. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Hideous.

Mildly better than silver bullet from a can, coors light in a bottle nevertheless remains a low quality brew. As with most of this type of standard american cheap beer, it must be served cold in order to retain any form of drinkability whatsoever. Weak and watery with a puffy, fleeting head when poured, this is purely a beer to have when there's very little else available. Hard to drink more than a couple at a time.

1.63/5  rDev -20.5%

This pours a pale straw color with a small head that leaves quickly.The smell is very weak and has a hint of cooked vegatables.The taste is faintly hoppy,but is more like water with a touch of beer.The m/f is light,weak and watery.I can't imagine ever trying this again.

Coors Light from Coors Brewing Company