Third Shift Amber Lager
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Third Shift Amber LagerThird Shift Amber Lager
Score:
Ranked #48,543
3.02 | pDev: 18.87%
From:
Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

Colorado, United States
Notes:
Reviews: 204 | Ratings: 1,246 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
JeremyDink from Ohio

1.41/5  rDev -53.3%

This beer appears to look like a proper amber lager in terms of its medium color and adequate head upon pouring, and even slight lacing. The smell is okay, but does not give proper warning as to the taste you will experience after consuming this beer. The taste is bitter, stale, and reminiscent of the smell of wet cigarette butts. I don't know how this beer is still on the shelves.

Aug 13, 2018
Nass from Florida

1.9/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

This is the worst amber lager that I have come across. Don't even bother with this one this is worst than Yeungling. It's bitter and gross tasting. Cheers! D

Mar 02, 2018
jkblr from Indiana

3.64/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle bb 9/25/17 poured into a vintage Coors bulb glass at fridge temp 5.3% ABV. The beer pours bright golden amber with about an inch of off white head. The head recedes to a splotchy film with some lacing. Lacing continues down the glass as the beer is consumed. The aroma is caramel malt reminiscent of an American Marżen. The taste is malt forward as well with a Munich or Vienna taste up front followed by a hint of AAL in the finish. There is a noticeable bitterness on the end to cut the malt. Mouthfeel is thin bodied, sharply carbonated and dry to finish. Overall, good. This is proof Coors can brew a decent beer when they use their budget on some cara malt and not advertising.

Jul 15, 2017
Schlitz74 from Illinois

This is an average drinkable beer, head dies down pretty quick and there is no lacing on the glass. I suggest trying as a single in a make your own six pack as I did.

Jun 29, 2017
NudeOnTheMoon from Indiana

1.52/5  rDev -49.7%

A bit of background is necessary to put my review of this beer into context. I have been using this website periodically for the last few years, but only as a casual source of information when I come across something new in a grocery store. Despite a deep fondness for beer, I've never been a particularly picky man. I'll gladly drink any craft beer, macro, or 40 ounce bottle of malt liquor that slides my way.

This is the beer that caused me to create an account on this website. This is the beer that was bad enough to trigger a sense of obligation to the rest of society in a person that feels very little compassion for strangers.

In short, don't buy this beer. If you're at a party and it's the only beer available, consider passing on it entirely and enjoy driving home with a clear conscience and a hangover-free morning.

Look - (4) - Best category by far, in that it manages to do a decent job passing itself off as beer. It comes in a bottle you'd swear was from a craft brewery in the mid-west (turns out it's made by Coors), and pours into a glass with a dark amber color with a luscious head about a 0.5" high. Visually, it's the spitting image of a real beer. It even has real bubbles.

Smell - (2) - This is the second best category, and it's where things start falling apart. Despite all appearances of a craft beer, the beverage smells about as good as a cheap 40. Seriously, a bottle of Olde English or King Cobra will smell just about as good and be a WAY better use of your money.

Taste - (1) - This is where the piss-poor attempt at being beer unravels completely. There are three distinct notes. The first thing you taste is the very prominent flavor of malt liquor. This would be fine if not for the bold taste of high fructose corn syrup, which manages to bind the former flavor on your tongue with the enthusiasm of a determined mall kiosk worker trying to sell you a hair straightener. The third flavor is honey.

Feel - (1) I guess I have to give it a point for being a liquid. It feels like diluted maple-syrup.

In closing, this beer is absolutely terrible. It's the only beer I've had in a decade of drinking bad enough to complain about on the internet. I honestly wish I had purchased a six-pack of Hamm's instead, because it would be easier to drink and I would be out half as much money. Seriously, this beer is garbage.

Apr 02, 2017
jp32 from Michigan

1.74/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is a terrible beer. Coors really isn't making anything good at all, so I wasn't expecting a whole lot here, but I was expecting something better than this. Slick, soapy feel with a prickly carbonation. Grainy flavor with cereal notes and a hay-flavored hop presence. Garbage beer.

Aug 17, 2016
tblee12356 from Hawaii

3.79/5  rDev +25.5%

I took a leap of faith and grabbed this Third Shift Brewing Company 6pack to have something delicious before bed. It's priced right for a microbrewed 6 pack but I learning that it's made by Coors disappointed me. However it surprised me and is actually very good. It's weak for a craft like brew at %5.3, but surely does not lack flavor. Following a hoppy aroma and a very rich roasted malt, with what seems a bit Bavarian flavor. I think Third Shift Brewery's Amber Lager could be a bit smoother, but over all is very pleasing. 4/5 Would drink again.

Jul 28, 2016
JustLikeMyDad from Michigan

2.55/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Been eyeballing this for some months and finally got it.

Poured into a beer glass of some sort. Pours a nice copper color with a middle fingers worth of foam thickness.

Smells like a beer, maybe some light malt or wheat notes, nothing strong, but nothing too plain.

Interesting light roasted malt taste to it, slightly bitter, maybe slightly hoppy.

Feels very thin, rolls down so quick and easy, it's like it's hardly there.

overall, kinda disappointing, priced slightly more than budwieser for a 12 pack of bottles, the taste is slightly better than.
It's okay, but I don't think I'll be getting it again.

Jul 09, 2016
AndrewMichael from Virginia

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into an American pint glass. Dark amber color, with fresh head. I did not really like this beer, so I rate beers that I find drinkable, but not ones I really like with a 2.5. It was malty, and had a coppery flavor to it as well.

Apr 26, 2016
Squire from Mississippi

2.94/5  rDev -2.6%

It is amber, I'll give it that.

Well, it was there so I had to try it. Not a disappointment, rather not a happy find. Apparently Coors Research decided something like this would sell and it probably does, though I'm the only guy in my group who has actually bought some. Pours like a Coors beer, little more flavor than their regular stuff, but I wouldn't call it malt or hop forward. Not bland, just not quite medium either. A tweener without enough going for it to be interesting.

Not bad, buy it, just have realistic expectations.

Apr 15, 2016
stlfatguy from Missouri

3.39/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

It's not bad. Admittedly every palate is different, but anything from Coors or AB seems open for condemnation, regardless of taste. I get it. I've found myself being overly generous and forgiving with brews from some of the smallest, newest, Local craft brewers. Yes, most beers from the macros of the world aren't very impressive, but not all of their offerings are crap. It just seems like a lot of ratings are based on label contents more than bottle content.

And with that, looks like I did a whole, complaining review, with no actual info on the beer... Hmm... not bad. Maybe more info next time.

Feb 29, 2016
BeerBobber from Nevada

3.7/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look is solid caramel copper color with huge amounts of streaming carbonation. Very nice two fingers of fluffy of white head. And by the way the bottle art looks great as well.

Smell is barley, bread and biscuits.

Taste is malty with a hint of sweetness.

The mouth feel is slightly over the light and walking into the medium mouth feel territory. The finish feels a bit wet with a sweet snap at the end of the swallow.

I find this to be a very nice offering from the Coors Brewing Company. It does seem a bit on the bland side yet I also think it works well. What it works well with? I look forward to exploring a few more to find out.

Jan 26, 2016
Thomas_Wikman from Texas

2.45/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Fooled again, I got it at the restaurant we ate tonight because I thought it was a craft beer. It looked fairly nice, dark amber, thin white head, but it did not have much of an aroma. The taste was malty sweetness and caramel with a subtle metallic under tone. No noticeable hops, light, bland, and watery.

Jan 16, 2016
88caprice from Virginia

2.8/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Newsflash:
Coors Cavorts as Craft!

Poured from a bottle into a glass.
Look: Crystal clear, light copper hue, moderately high carbonation.
Smell: Malty and yeasty. Some pear-like sweetness coming through.
Taste: Yeast/malt flavor with a slight sour tinge. Strong malty sweet aftertaste reminiscent of a Malta Goya soda from the Mexican grocery.
Mouthfeel: Light as a middle school jockey. Fizzy.
Overall: Coors Cavorts as Craft! (but still tastes like Coors)

Dec 12, 2015
stevoj from Idaho

1.86/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A shame that Coors has to hide behind a fake brewing company and pass this off as a craft brew. A very weak example of an amber lager, faint malt aroma, fast fading airy head, malt taste (think malt liquor). Very disappointing.

Nov 12, 2015
Ice_cube47 from Connecticut

1.35/5  rDev -55.3%

I never had to put unopened beer in the trash until I tried this one. I did not pour the five bottles out and recycle them because anything that touched this beer should not be used by humans ever again. It may not have been prudent to get a sixer of a beer I knew nothing about, but let me explain. The closest bodega to my apartment has a pretty tiny bottled beer section and with the World Series looming I'll need to stay carbonated. The lack of any information on the label about the brewery was a red flag that I ignored like colorblind bull. Only later on, too late, did I notice the label's real sign of disaster: the thematic incongruity between the militaristic motto "Band of Brewers" and the name, suggestive of labor, possibly referring to the time during which they mix Coors, Coors Lite, sugar, and red dye and, nodding to the craft market, add a touch of Colorado snow that has been shat on by the passing Budweiser horses.

Oct 27, 2015
Annstarrr from District of Columbia

4.12/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Honestly, I really liked this until I realized it was made by Coors. I did a double-take and got over myself. Thanks, Coors, for making something that doesn't taste like squirrel piss for once.

Oct 05, 2015
AngusOg from North Carolina

No need to elaborate on what other reviewers have said. I'll just say that if i'm looking for something about this caliber and in this style, I'll just stick with an old friend Yuengling, which is a tad better in my opinion.

Sep 06, 2015
mark5692 from New York

Grossly sweet and bad smelling. A cheap beer but I'll still complain about it. Not sure how someone could drink this, very little carbonation, just tasted of very sweet malts and caramel. I can't really describe this beer to we'll but it was an awful beer. Would never buy again. If you are looking for something cheap but different (like I was) stay away from this, unless you enjoy feeling sick from sweetness.

Aug 28, 2015
biboergosum from Alberta (Canada)

3.09/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle, from a random grocery store mixed 6-er in Sandpoint, Idaho, a few weeks ago. 'Third Shift'? Is this a reference to the additional work shift a mega-brewery would have to add to create a 'craft beer' pilot program, or the like?

This beer pours a clear, medium copper amber colour, with three fingers of puffy, tightly foamy, and mildly bubbly ecru head, which leaves some decent descending layered cloud lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of grainy, lightly toasted pale and caramel malt, a bit of rice pudding, slightly phenolic yeast, and plain earthy, weedy hops. The taste is bready, sort of doughy caramel malt, overripe apples, fading spicy yeast, and more underwhelming dead leafy, weedy, and somewhat floral hop bitters.

The carbonation is quite low-key, what with its bland frothiness, the body an adequate middleweight, and mostly smooth, just a wee, indistinct edginess picking and pulling at the corners. It finishes off-dry, and still toasty, the caramel and generic fruitiness lingering on.

Nothing particularly wrong here, as the off-flavours are generally integrated into the whole (wow, I should be in marketing!). Overall, easy enough to drink, yet perhaps a bit too sweet by bottle's end. I'd like to see what Coors could come up with if they added a fourth shift.

Aug 10, 2015
Myotus from Texas

3.32/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (best by date 31Aug15) into a pilsner glass.
LOOK: A quarter of a finger's worth of white foam formed after being poured and maintained itself. Ascending bubbles are moderate. The beer is more of a copper color, despite it's name. Lacing is low.
SMELL: Mild aromas of pale malts and spicy hops along with hints of sweet pilsner malts and caramel/roasted aromas from vienna malts.
TASTE: Initial taste is of mild roasted/caramel malty goodness that combines well with mild spicy hop flavors. Mild pale malt flavors along with hints of pilsner malts enter immediately after as both previous flavors persist.
FEEL: Not quite medium-bodied, but definitely not light-bodied. Carbonation is mild and the brew is slightly creamy. The finish is nice and crisp.
NOTE: I thought that this would be worse than it really was. This was rather decent. I could see me drinking this if someone offered it to me. This was pretty much a less decent from of a Sam Adams.

Aug 07, 2015
Raime from Greenland

2.96/5  rDev -2%

Left in the fridge from a cousin who stopped by that I haven't seen in a few years.

Look - Deep amber with a large frothy white head that leaves a smidge of lacing. Carbonation bubbles are running rampant.

Smell - Toasty malts, a bit of an earthy character.

Taste - Malts stay prevalent with a bit of an earthy character and a tad sour as you swallow it. Candied apple and moderately sweet and sticky.

Feel - Sits light bodied and a tad watery with the carbonation having died down. A slime creaminess.

Overall - An average beer. Not a bad attempt from Coors. quite comparable to Miller Fortune.

Jul 14, 2015
Lahoi from Kentucky

3.09/5  rDev +2.3%

Not bad at all. Outstanding for Coors. I prefer it to Abita Amber. Yep, I said it. I prefer something from Coors over a micro. I would wager that in a blind taste test many would agree with me. Too bad the masses found out it was from Coors. Otherwise, I don't think it would be rated so low. If this was the last beer on earth I'd be just fine.

Jun 20, 2015
ralph-pine from Florida

3.35/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Easy to drink. It has distinction and I think that is an acceptable beer to share with friends without guilt be drinking something that is useless. It has the spirit of good craft beers.

Jun 03, 2015
Gote from South Carolina

3.09/5  rDev +2.3%

Oh come on, It's not THAT bad. Sure it's from the Coors family but I think it actually has a light, refreshing taste. Not too bitter but not as bland as their other swill. Maybe it's not a true craft beer but geez, Coors actually put out something worth drinking for a change. Kudos to them. Try it. I don't think you'll actually puke or anything and you might think it's slightly above mediocre.

May 14, 2015
Third Shift Amber Lager from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 70 out of 100 with 1246 ratings