Third Shift Amber Lager | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by gtermi on 12-05-2012

Ratings: 1,233 |  Reviews: 200
2.48/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.52/5  rDev -50%

A bit of background is necessary to put my review of this beer into context. I have been using this website periodically for the last few years, but only as a casual source of information when I come across something new in a grocery store. Despite a deep fondness for beer, I've never been a particularly picky man. I'll gladly drink any craft beer, macro, or 40 ounce bottle of malt liquor that slides my way.

This is the beer that caused me to create an account on this website. This is the beer that was bad enough to trigger a sense of obligation to the rest of society in a person that feels very little compassion for strangers.

In short, don't buy this beer. If you're at a party and it's the only beer available, consider passing on it entirely and enjoy driving home with a clear conscience and a hangover-free morning.

Look - (4) - Best category by far, in that it manages to do a decent job passing itself off as beer. It comes in a bottle you'd swear was from a craft brewery in the mid-west (turns out it's made by Coors), and pours into a glass with a dark amber color with a luscious head about a 0.5" high. Visually, it's the spitting image of a real beer. It even has real bubbles.

Smell - (2) - This is the second best category, and it's where things start falling apart. Despite all appearances of a craft beer, the beverage smells about as good as a cheap 40. Seriously, a bottle of Olde English or King Cobra will smell just about as good and be a WAY better use of your money.

Taste - (1) - This is where the piss-poor attempt at being beer unravels completely. There are three distinct notes. The first thing you taste is the very prominent flavor of malt liquor. This would be fine if not for the bold taste of high fructose corn syrup, which manages to bind the former flavor on your tongue with the enthusiasm of a determined mall kiosk worker trying to sell you a hair straightener. The third flavor is honey.

Feel - (1) I guess I have to give it a point for being a liquid. It feels like diluted maple-syrup.

In closing, this beer is absolutely terrible. It's the only beer I've had in a decade of drinking bad enough to complain about on the internet. I honestly wish I had purchased a six-pack of Hamm's instead, because it would be easier to drink and I would be out half as much money. Seriously, this beer is garbage.

3.58/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +34.9%

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.13/5  rDev +3%

1.74/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is a terrible beer. Coors really isn't making anything good at all, so I wasn't expecting a whole lot here, but I was expecting something better than this. Slick, soapy feel with a prickly carbonation. Grainy flavor with cereal notes and a hay-flavored hop presence. Garbage beer.

3.79/5  rDev +24.7%

I took a leap of faith and grabbed this Third Shift Brewing Company 6pack to have something delicious before bed. It's priced right for a microbrewed 6 pack but I learning that it's made by Coors disappointed me. However it surprised me and is actually very good. It's weak for a craft like brew at %5.3, but surely does not lack flavor. Following a hoppy aroma and a very rich roasted malt, with what seems a bit Bavarian flavor. I think Third Shift Brewery's Amber Lager could be a bit smoother, but over all is very pleasing. 4/5 Would drink again.

2.57/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.55/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Been eyeballing this for some months and finally got it.

Poured into a beer glass of some sort. Pours a nice copper color with a middle fingers worth of foam thickness.

Smells like a beer, maybe some light malt or wheat notes, nothing strong, but nothing too plain.

Interesting light roasted malt taste to it, slightly bitter, maybe slightly hoppy.

Feels very thin, rolls down so quick and easy, it's like it's hardly there.

overall, kinda disappointing, priced slightly more than budwieser for a 12 pack of bottles, the taste is slightly better than.
It's okay, but I don't think I'll be getting it again.

1.2/5  rDev -60.5%

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

4.25/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev +36.2%

3.21/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I was hoping to like this beer. I liked the name and the price but I did not like the taste! Disappointed!

2.95/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into an American pint glass. Dark amber color, with fresh head. I did not really like this beer, so I rate beers that I find drinkable, but not ones I really like with a 2.5. It was malty, and had a coppery flavor to it as well.

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.63/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.94/5  rDev -3.3%

It is amber, I'll give it that.

Well, it was there so I had to try it. Not a disappointment, rather not a happy find. Apparently Coors Research decided something like this would sell and it probably does, though I'm the only guy in my group who has actually bought some. Pours like a Coors beer, little more flavor than their regular stuff, but I wouldn't call it malt or hop forward. Not bland, just not quite medium either. A tweener without enough going for it to be interesting.

Not bad, buy it, just have realistic expectations.

Third Shift Amber Lager from Coors Brewing Company