Third Shift Amber Lager | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by gtermi on 12-05-2012

Reviews: 199 | Ratings: 1,225
2.87/5  rDev -5.9%

A: clear amber color. small head that disappears almost immediately. no lacing.

S: corny malts. almost a sweet smell. hint of hops

T: the beginning is sweet and malty. toasted corn. the finish has some dirty hop flavor.

M: medium carbonation. thin and watery.

O: very easy to drink. better than most macro beers and the same price.

3.2/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium amber in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some orange and copper highlights. The beer has a quarter finger tall white head that quickly reduces to a medium sized patch of thin film with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of toasted malts with some corn adjuncts and huskiness. There is also a touch of light fruitiness (apple and pear).

T: Light to moderate flavors of toasted malts with some light amounts of corn and grain adjuncts with some huskiness. There is a light amount of light fruits (primarily apple) and light amounts of earthy hops. Veyr light amounts of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly crisp.

O: Easy to drink and a better offering than I expected from a micro label from a BMC brewery. It has pretty good toasted malts notes but I wish they had left out the adjuncts...

2.87/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

As if we did not know, weathered copper glow with a thin fuzzy head. Aroma was that of heavy grains aka adjunct products with a slight hint of mildly roasted malt and almost sweet whiff. Some bready malt up front with a twinge of preserving hops going down to add just a touch of balancing bitterness as it fades quickly. Lacks any complexity as we should coming from a big box brewery though props for attempting to set foot on to the craft beer scene. Highly drinkable beer for the average joe but, not for the Beer Sith.

2.96/5  rDev -3%

Third Shift Amber Lager

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a shaker pint glass. Served cold.

A) A light amber with about a finger of white soapy head. Decent retention, and some spotty lacing.

S) All I get is grains, and a little whiff of grass.

T) Faint caramel sweetness, toast, butter, grassy hops on the backend.

M) Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. This is pretty crisp. Finishes dry.

O) This is pretty mediocre. If I'm craving an amber brew, I'll reach for something brewed right here in Wisconsin.

2.9/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 4

ive had this on tap and in the bottle... have to say both are good but I prefer on tap...

goes down smooth and has a great look! hope its comparable to the New Black Crown... !

easy to drink with any food... pick some up if you haven't already... Yummy!

3.71/5  rDev +21.6%

Bought this after reading a good review at the beer store. Nice amber color. good pour into tall pint glass. Foamed and reduced to thin layer. Carbonation gives it a little bite. not overly hoppy, slight bitter taste. date on the bottom is jul0113. Nice looking can, No where does it say Coors on it. I might have put it back if I known it was a coors product. But after tasting it, I would not say no if I were offered a can. Not a bad beer, I will enjoy finishing the 4 pack and continue on in finding the perfect beer!

3.85/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not watery, has some substance, the drinkability quotient is good if you are wanting to have a few and not just a 1 or 2 high value tasting experience.

I have been looking in vain to find any verification that it is a "gold medal award winner." Not listed among the world beer cup winners of 2012. Also could not find it among the winners at the Great American Beer Festival. Another article I read said it was marketed under code name Flor Hosen and won in German style Marzen category. I looked it up and that name was listed as a winner. Awfully close to false advertising...

3.61/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Looks great in my New Belgium globe glass. Copper, clear, decent amount of head and some subtle lacing. A steady stream of small bubbles rising to the top.

S: Sticky caramel, wet grains, brown sugar. Actually not that bad.

T: A bit of a metallic twang, but a nice sweet and sticky caramel malt flavor. Reminds me of those caramel flavored rice cakes. Very nutty too. A bit of a 'dirt' like hop note at the end.

M: That metallic twang kind of detracts from the drinkability, but its not offensive enough to not finish if a bottle was in front of me.

O: A good beer from Coors.

3.56/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Good brassy gold look poured into a pint glass out of a tall can. Good tight head that fades fast but leaves a few bubbles on the surface. No lacing to speak of.

Smell is a little copper-y, slightly metallic, a little grainy. Not strong, and hard to smell any hops or floral smells. Malt-forward but quite mild. Sticky sweet and beery but not fruity at all.

Tastes really great assuming you like balance over bold and are not looking for anything revolutionary. Malty.

Super drinkable, smooth, and satisfying. Deliciously bubbly. Tall boy can is the perfect serving size.

This stuff is not outstanding, but it costs about the same as a domestic macro and tastes about 50 times better.

3.96/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Highly disappointed to find out this was a Coors product.

In all fairness this is a very solid, drinkable beer. IMO the low overall ratings are due to the fact that this beer isn't given a chance from the get go due to it being macro brewed. Id bet most all the BA'ers here in a blind taste test would score this much higher actually giving it a chance.

Pours very nice golden amber color.

Hints of mild caramel malt and toastyness

Very Flavorful and Crisp

Great option for the price $6.99 for a 6 pk.

2.25/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This is the Utah version 4% ABV version

Pours a nice clean/clear dark golden yellow color, nice carbonation, little fizzy white head that disappears quickly, not much sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly malty, with some grainyness, nice little sweet note. The taste is mostly grainy, but with a hint of maltyness, slightly sweet, Medium body. Overall this would be a thirst quencher, but I will not buy it again.

4.35/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm only guessing that the bad rating on this beer is because it's made by Coors Beer. Look folks, I know the Macrobrews are trying to take over the micro-brew market, but this is a good beer.

And for the record I hate macrobrews. I'm not sayin this is 'my beer', because it's not. But as an off the shelf lager, it's pretty good. Not as good as some, but a lot better than others.

Has a pretty good flavor. Oddly enough the aroma is a bit buttery. I'm not getting any adjuncts from the beer but it is possible the buttery aroma I'm getting could (I stress COULD) be from corn.

Over all I'm giving this lager a 4/5 - it's good. I can't lie.

Now, if you want a beer - go get you a Doghead Fish or a Pliny the Elder.

3.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a one-finger, short-lived head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of caramel and sweet breads.

T - It tasted of caramel, bread crust and grassy hop bitterness. Good balance.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light bodied lager with a dry finish.

O - This is okay. Didn't realize when I purchased it that it was a Coors product.

3.99/5  rDev +30.8%

Today is 10-19-2013 and this re-review is in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), which had been on a short hiatus following beer having been inadvertently spilled (poured) into my keyboard!

From the CAN: ""Gold Medal Award Winner"; "Brewed By A Band Of Brewers Whose Passion For Brewing Doesn't Stop When The Day Shift Is Over."

I was anxious for a Crack and inverted Glug and so I threw caution to the wind and proceeded! This created a finger of dense, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. My my. Nose had a husky, caramel malt quality, not really sweet, per se, but sweetish. I also noted a tang of alcohol underlying the sweetness. Mouthfeel was fuller than I might expect in a lager and the taste was definitely of caramel malt. Even so, it was not overpowering, dialed down so that even a hophead like me could partake of it without going into sugar shock. Finish was semi-sweet, there was just no getting around its inherent sweetness, but I CANnot dun them for it, either. I think that I liked the taste a bit more than my original bottle rating of 3.5, but otherwise, I am going to keep my original bottle review numbers.

Original bottle review dtd 03-10-2013 follows:

I found this in my neighbor's cooler recently and having seen the commercial, I was drawn in by an inherent sense of curiosity. They seem to be doing their utmost to hide the fact that it is a Coors product. Hmmm.

From the bottle: "Gold Medal Winning Beer Brewed By A Band Of Brewers Whose Passion For Brewing Doesn't Stop When The Day Shift Is Over."

First off, what is with all of the CAPS?!? Secondly, Day Shift leads into Second or Swing Shift and Third Shift is the overnight shift. I wonder why they did not know this since the label proudly proclaims "Union Made".

My pour began with two fingers of fluffy, bone-white head that fell as I was typing the above screed. At least there was nice lacing in its wake. Color was a bright amber that had me looking for prehistoric bugs that might have been preserved in it. I kid you not, if I had one of those beer color charts, this would be spot on for "Amber". I am going to guess and place it at 15 degrees Lovibond. Nose had a honey-wheat bread quality which seemed okay to me. I have grown so tired of adjunct-filled lagers that any lager that smells like something other than cobbled together liquid will get my vote. Mouthfeel was big and full, not overly carbonated, but dense. The flavor was quite sweet, caramel and bread bein the prevalent tastes. Finish was semi-sweet, not overly sweet and refreshing. I wish that they would CAN this one as it would be nice on a hot day.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Third shift is amber in color. The head faded fast but never completely disapeared and left a little bit of lacing on the sides of my glass.

Smells like a beer.

It has a sweet malty taste with only a slight hop bitternes in the finish.

Overall, it is a nice easy drinking beer. Better than your average BMC product and not over priced.

2.55/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

For whatever reason, I'm always up for trying these "crafty" releases that the macrobreweries release. Call it morbid curiosity. Third Shift isn't bad looking at all, it's a nice orange-amber color with a large head that retains well for a Coors product. The aroma lets me down right away though. There's the distinctive "wet dog" aroma that I associate with every American Adjunct Lager. There's a touch more malts in the background, but beyond that it's remarkably similar to a Coors Heavy. The taste starts off stronger with a nice caramel malt, but quickly collapses into the same AAL finish I'd expect from a Coors product. The mouthfeel is nice though, it's got a heavier body than a normal Coors and a spot-on carbonation level, and the drinkability is solid enough. Overall, it's basically Yuengling but worse. It's a step up from the average Coors product for sure, and something I'd get if there were no better options. Gotta say though, I love seeing Union Made on the label!

3.05/5  rDev 0%

A: Rather pleasant looking honey colored beer. Almost no head, large bubbles that dissipate quickly.

S: Toasted grains with a slight caramel malt note. Had to search for the nose on this one. Almost entirely grains, but still a nice aroma, I just wish that there was more of it.

T: Slight dose of sweet malts, lots of cereal grains, slightly bready and also a bit of a metallic taste. Finishes with more of a hop bitterness than a hop taste.

M: Moderate body, high carbonation.

O: A drinkable beer, but nothing special. I wouldn't seek it out, but I would drink it again.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

It pours a brilliant amber color and is crystal clear. It is topped with an inch of off-white head that leaves no lacing.

I smell some toast and caramel.

The taste caramel and toast just as it smells. It has a clean, dry finish.

Smooth and medium mouthfeel

This is actually a decent beer. It is smooth and easy drinking. It is a little boring compared to my usual regulars, but a nice change of pace.

3.48/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16oz can into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: clear, golden amber hued, slow moving carbonation bubbles, near bone-white collar, okay retention, some lacy trails.

Aroma: grains, mild caramel sweetness, toasted bread, faint grassiness.

Taste: cereal grains, bread crusts, caramel, malt sweetness, light grassy hop notes, no real bitterness. Clean finish, crisp.

***An undeniably nice looking beer in a nonic glass, but its sort of a slightly above average amber lager overall. Sesionable and refreshing, so, yea.

3.81/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I hate myself for liking this beer - even more because I had it during a blind taste test and I was like Oh yeah this is a pretty good lager.

Then I found out it was a Coors product and I wanted to vomit. Its not that I'm against big corporations because of some misguided pretention - its the principle of what Coors stands and has stood for in the past - as well as its clear intention to aim its product towards a specific demographic (Third Shift - hipsters thinking they're in touch with blue-collar America, yet they can still support craft beer from "Texas")

I'm sorry I don't have a more well-formed argument, but the idea of drinking Coors products disgusts me- even more when they use well-researched marketing and advertisement to get people like me do drink it. Ugh - its a good Lager but I wouldn't put my money towards it.

3.56/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looked good. Amber to a bit tan and clear, very nice head that lasted quite a bit and left pretty good lacing.

Smells pretty good too, both hoppy and malty but more on the hop side.

Taste is pretty good too. A good malty base accented with a surprising amount of hops.

Body is light, well carbonated, and extremely drinkable.

I wonder how many of the reviews of this beer are negative because it's a coors product. Whilst not being a big fan of the big breweries, this beer is pretty good, and should be given its due. However, had I researched it a bit more I may have passed on it once I discovered it was from coors. That in itself should say something to any coors representatives reading this review. However, once again, a good beer is a good beer, regardless of who produced it. This is a good beer, and my review reflects that. Is it the best vienna lager ever? Probably not. But it's damn enjoyable.

3.57/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is my first review,so it may lack the in-depth information that regular contributors can offer.My overall impression of this beer was fairly positive,considering that it is a mass produced attempt at a craft beer.But to give the devil his due,I really enjoyed it,and have bought it 3 times now since the initial purchase. I generally like a hoppy malty type of beer,but I am not too snobby about it,and I think that Third-Shift would fare pretty well against similar craft beers,IF it were done in a blinded taste test,as I suspect that some people would dismiss it out of hand if they knew it's pedigree. So my advice is to try it with an open mind,and consider that it's a decent,more interesting beer for the price of a more common,less interesting one.

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This was the best big brewery beer i could have bought at the gas station i live near, Well besides sam adams boston lager and yuengling lager which is hit or miss in the cooler there. Anyways seen this in 16oz cans and bought two. The apperence to me not really amber more like a bud but more orange i guess. the head didnt last to long, and leaves a tiny ring aorund the glass. Smell is pretty good, though i do smell corn but not sure if it is used in the beer. toasted malt no spice no hops maybe nutty. The taste to me is just like the bud crown if you have had that, this is very much the same, toasted malt i do taste the corn but not over done. sweet nutty after taste, enough hops to balance the beer pretty good for what this is. This beer to me is coors/miller way to compete with bud crown which it does, and i also think the whole amber lager kinda crafty thing is a way for both of these companys to compete with yeungling. though i think yeungling beats both by far with a more session abv at 4.4. I will say it is better then any american lager from BMC. though ill take yeungling if i can find it over this.

2.94/5  rDev -3.6%

This faux-craft offering from Miller/Coors was a mild surprise in my local bodega's cold storage as the workers there are used to my visits as I tease them with questions about their stunning (lack of) selection of beer and ask for Sierra Nevada Torpedo or DFH 90 Minute IPA. They were laughing when they suggested this to me, so I knew I was in for it.

I tried the orange and gold lager straight from the can first and thought it was stronger version of Miller High Life recreated in both aroma and taste, but it actually delivered a better taste than that. Not exciting, but something that was more or less mainstream and probably good to cook with.

The smooth taste of corn resonates through this lager, which may have a trace or two of hops in its finish. This is one of those beers that gets over powered by the Doritos at a party, mostly due to its inoffensive character.

I am surprised to see that this beer is made by Coors. The label on the bottle does not divulge that information.
The label says, "Band of Brothers Co.", Ft Worth Texas.
Regardless, this beer tastes quite a lot like Coors might taste if it was brewed to a higher gravity and also given more hops.
I won't pretend to taste "stale malt", adjuncts, or any other inferior ingredients. I won't compare it's appearance to urine just because it is a lager that is financed by Coors.
What I taste is thoroughly enjoyable beer that is reminiscient of the amber lagers I had while stationed in Germany.
After having a few of these poured into a glass VS straight from the bottle, I prefer them from the bottle.
In this area there is a very short list of what I would call high quality lagers in the one dollar per bottle range and this beer just earned a spot on that list with me.
Wake up call for "Ale Lovers"...if you don't like lagers, why bother reviewing them..?

Third Shift Amber Lager from Coors Brewing Company