1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

George Killian's Irish Red | Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)

George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red
3.04/5
Okay
George Killian's Irish RedGeorge Killian's Irish Red

Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Colorado, United States

Reviews by BeerForMuscle:
3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.64/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dad was a beer drinker. He was easy to buy for: beer. We'd always get him something interesting for his birthday like Tsing Tao or something with a strange name. This was one of his favorite beers. When he discovered this, he raved about it. At his 60th birthday party, he had a keg of this. That was a good party.

As the name suggests, this has a reddish tint in its color. It's a great lager, and it has a wide appeal. Sophisticated beer snobs won't look down their noses at it, and less experienced beer drinkers will love it. It's perfect for a birthday party. Times have changed, and our favorite beers of yesteryear just can't compete with today's full flavored beers, but this is still great stuff.

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance – Yes, this one is light red in color with brownish tints and it is very clear and shiny. The good head dissipated rather quickly.

Smell – The light American grain and ultra-light citrusy hops gave this one a distinctly US Euro Lager aroma. The malts were nice and toasty though and there wasn’t anything offensive in there, which is saying a lot.

Taste – The toasty malts actually come out pretty decent at the taste. The light hopping makes it to the tongue as well. Not bad.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied Lager is clean with a drying finish.

Drinkability – This is as good as a Coors gets.

1.26/5  rDev -58.6%

Friend brought me 2 of these.
Haven't had one in 5+ years.
12oz->Hoegaarden

A ~ Heads gone in 30 seconds but the carbonation is style bumpin'. . .Looks like weak tea that's been carbonated. . .Or Coors with food coloring in it. Wait a second!

S ~ Smells like corn & tap water.

T ~ Tastes like corn and very wet dough.

M ~ Light bodied, but very Cloying and sticky. Touch of dryness that overcoats the tounge. Is this hops or just the excessive amount of grain in this brew?

D ~ I'm done with this brew. It tastes like Coors light. I have one more in my fridge that I will probably give away, or use for a marinade. That is the only thing that beers like this are good for.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Delicious and underappreciated. Biscuity breadiness and easy to drink. Slightly one dimensional but I'm never disappointed with this.

George Killian's Irish Red.

A- Very clean copper-brown color with an off white head that falls to a small foam rim around the glass. Small amount of lacing but there.

S- Smells like fresh cut wood and burt carmel malts. Scent is finished with a mild ferment smell.

T- Is very busy with malts and barley. Very carmel malt flavor with a hint of wood.

M-D- Mouthfull is very mild to full bodied. Smooth and flavorable make this beer a good drinkable beer...sometimes.

4.75/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

[Please note: Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), discovered in 1931, "has the unusual property that it either tastes (salty), very bitter, or is virtually tasteless, depending on the genetic makeup of the taster" and the threshhold of the chemical's concentration and potency. "The ability to taste PTC is a dominant genetic trait, and the test to determine PTC sensitivity is commonly used in genetic tests on humans" and other primates. "The genetic correlation was so strong that it was used in paternity tests before the advent of DNA matching. "One study has found that non-smokers and those not habituated to coffee or tea have a statistically higher percentage of tasting PTC than the general population", which implies that many people who smoke tobacco and drink coffee cannot readily detect PTC and related compounds. PTC "does not occur in food, but related chemicals do", which accounts for our choices in food and drink. I am unable to taste PTC at all in low to moderately high concentrations. PTC is toxic in very high concentrations. "In 1976, a remarkable inverse relationship between taster status for PTC and for a bitter component of the fruit of the tree Antidesma bunius was discovered. Antidesma bunius is a species of fruit tree native to Southeast Asia and northern Australia. Its common names include Queensland-cherry, wild cherry, and currant tree." The fruit is edible and is commonly processed into a jam for consumption.] With the aforementioned information in mind, an affinity for one beer over another is unavoidable, almost genetic, so "to each his own" beer and opinion. Again, I have a very high threshold for PTC and related compounds.

When it comes to beer, I happen to have enjoyed Ba Moui Ba, a Vietnamese beer preserved with .01% formaldehyde. I also enjoyed German wheat beer (weizenbier), those containing yeast (hefeweizen), and the dark beer (dunklebier). I have very fond memories from my U.S.Air Force days spent in Colorado of Coors unpasturized. MillerCoors Icehouse is still very palatable to me. However, my all time favorite, either with food or all on its own, is the Coors "George Killian's" Irish Red beer. It is the only beer I have ever tasted that did not offend my palate, even while consuming food. I routinely stock other brands for guests, but I prefer "GK" to any other beer on the market. It may seem that I have a Coors "hang-up", but I assure you that I had no idea that Coors produced "GK" until I researched "GK" today. Other beer products taste bitter to me and leave an aftertaste.

I have consumed copious amounts of various foreign and domestic brewery products in my lifetime; especially during my career in the US Air Force from 1968-1972, the Canadian Forces (Reserve) 1980-1984, and the US Army from 1984-1998. I have spent twelve years in Canada, five years in Germany, two years in Korea, and a year in Viet-Nam, in addition to my years in the continental US, sampling beer. I do not usually drink more than two bottles or cans at one sitting. (No, that's not because I have to empty my bladder after every two beers and change seats at the bar upon returning.) I have not been thoroughly intoxicated since I had an OD on rum and cola in 1969. I view drinking alcoholic beverages as relaxing, pleasant, and even enjoyable. George Killian's Irish Red is my first choice, and if an establishment does not stock it I frequently order tonic water or I go elsewhere.

2.81/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Nice clear ruddy color. Minimal to no head with zero lacing. Did I mention it had nice color?

S: Not real impressed with the smell. To be honest, I would have been hard pressed to distinguish this from any other macro lager.

T: A little disappointing. Was expecting something more flavorful and a touch of sweet malts similar to other reds. Instead it was much like other macro lagers. Not bad. Not great.

M&D: Mouthfeel was about average. The carbonation present in the brew was rather light, albeit consistent. This in and of itself isn't bad but there wasn't much else there to bring up the mouthfeel at all. I don't know if this is something I would ever ask for again but I wouldn't turn down a free one if offered.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours not red but a deep orangish amber with a nice-looking two-finger head. Strange aroma - sweet malt (almost sickly sweet), with hints of astringency and corn syrup. Not much in the way of taste - a little sweet malt, with more corn syrup and a touch of light citrus in the thin body. Well, at least you can drink a lot of it if it's your thing.

3.58/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass

A-Pours a 3-finger head that dissipates moderately quickly leaving a thin ring of bubbles. Brownish-amber in color with great clarity.

S- can pick out the faintest bit of malt. Not much smell.

T- Alcohol and malts on the nose, followed by a very malty body,with just a touch of hops for balance. The finish was very crisp and left a lingering sweetness in the mouth.

M- Very flat and creamy. Definitely not watery like many macro lagers. Very Smooth.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer and I kept finding myself wanting another sip. I could easily see drinking a few of these in an evening. I bummed one of these from my room mate, and I would consider buying if the price was significantly lower than any good micros or there were only macros to be had.

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.5/5  rDev +48%

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%

3.2/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle.This beer poured a small tan head that contained fine-small bubbles that quickly diminished.The body was carbonated and the hue was reddish-orange.The nose was lightly malty and the flavor was lightly malty as well.The mouthfeel was smooth and somewhat on the thin side.

4.05/5  rDev +33.2%

This is my beer of choice when dining out, especially with a thick rib-eye steak on my plate. A tall glass provides the color I compare all others to, and the (usually) half-inch head is the light carmel color I so adore. The aftertaste doesn't take away from my meal, yet is strong enough to give my tastebuds satisfaction. The slightly sweet flavors are a wonderful counter to the smokey steak. It is a bit thinner than the bottled versions, however, and possibly even slightly lower in alcohol content. Still, it's my choice whenever it's available on tap!

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company (Molson-Coors)
Beer rating: 3.04 out of 5 with 3,121 ratings