George Killian's Irish Red | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 3,020 |  Reviews: 838

Husband's favorite beer

This is my go to beer and has been for years now, it doesn't deserve such a low score it's a great beer. It's the only beer I've given a solid 5 to so far and it fully deserves it.

Had seen and heard of this lager for many years, but was never inclined to buy it. Finally bought 12 pack for $8.99 at my local Meijer. OMG!!!
I have found my next favorite beer. This was creamy, thick and hearty. No ting of heavy larger taste and overhang. Smooth, malty and absolutely incredibly drinkable. Will savor this forever and ever. Wish I would have found this delight earlier in my beer drinking career.

George Killian's Irish Red has been my go to beer for years. I have been branching out and trying other beers but I always come back to this one. Before I even new what I liked in beer, I found this to be my favorite. Definitely a must try. And if you don't like it, you can send me the rest of the six pack and I'll drink it for you.

4.85/5  rDev +59.5%

I usually have this in a bottle, but some restaurants in town have this on tap. The bottle is good but the tap is my review:
So damn good tasting. This is a dinner beer. Steak or wings go well with this darker beer. Lots of carmelly roasted smell. Roasted something when tasting, can't quite put my finger on it but damn it's good. This was my first venture into beer that wasn't piss yellow. Very good overall, would recommend starting here before you venture into craft beer. A friend did so for me and I thought it was a nice transition into some new stuff from your boring Bud Light.

4.83/5  rDev +58.9%

I tried this one out at my local T.G.I Friday's.

Beer was on tap and was served in a pilsner glass.

Color was a beautiful red color with a 0ne inch head.

The smell is very nice. Nothing overpowers anything in the beer.

I must admit this is a great tasting beer. very well balanced.

Very crisp taste with a dry finish.

This is one of my favorite beer

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

[Please note: Phenylthiocarbamide (PTC), discovered in 1931, "has the unusual property that it either tastes (salty), very bitter, or is virtually tasteless, depending on the genetic makeup of the taster" and the threshhold of the chemical's concentration and potency. "The ability to taste PTC is a dominant genetic trait, and the test to determine PTC sensitivity is commonly used in genetic tests on humans" and other primates. "The genetic correlation was so strong that it was used in paternity tests before the advent of DNA matching. "One study has found that non-smokers and those not habituated to coffee or tea have a statistically higher percentage of tasting PTC than the general population", which implies that many people who smoke tobacco and drink coffee cannot readily detect PTC and related compounds. PTC "does not occur in food, but related chemicals do", which accounts for our choices in food and drink. I am unable to taste PTC at all in low to moderately high concentrations. PTC is toxic in very high concentrations. "In 1976, a remarkable inverse relationship between taster status for PTC and for a bitter component of the fruit of the tree Antidesma bunius was discovered. Antidesma bunius is a species of fruit tree native to Southeast Asia and northern Australia. Its common names include Queensland-cherry, wild cherry, and currant tree." The fruit is edible and is commonly processed into a jam for consumption.] With the aforementioned information in mind, an affinity for one beer over another is unavoidable, almost genetic, so "to each his own" beer and opinion. Again, I have a very high threshold for PTC and related compounds.

When it comes to beer, I happen to have enjoyed Ba Moui Ba, a Vietnamese beer preserved with .01% formaldehyde. I also enjoyed German wheat beer (weizenbier), those containing yeast (hefeweizen), and the dark beer (dunklebier). I have very fond memories from my U.S.Air Force days spent in Colorado of Coors unpasturized. MillerCoors Icehouse is still very palatable to me. However, my all time favorite, either with food or all on its own, is the Coors "George Killian's" Irish Red beer. It is the only beer I have ever tasted that did not offend my palate, even while consuming food. I routinely stock other brands for guests, but I prefer "GK" to any other beer on the market. It may seem that I have a Coors "hang-up", but I assure you that I had no idea that Coors produced "GK" until I researched "GK" today. Other beer products taste bitter to me and leave an aftertaste.

I have consumed copious amounts of various foreign and domestic brewery products in my lifetime; especially during my career in the US Air Force from 1968-1972, the Canadian Forces (Reserve) 1980-1984, and the US Army from 1984-1998. I have spent twelve years in Canada, five years in Germany, two years in Korea, and a year in Viet-Nam, in addition to my years in the continental US, sampling beer. I do not usually drink more than two bottles or cans at one sitting. (No, that's not because I have to empty my bladder after every two beers and change seats at the bar upon returning.) I have not been thoroughly intoxicated since I had an OD on rum and cola in 1969. I view drinking alcoholic beverages as relaxing, pleasant, and even enjoyable. George Killian's Irish Red is my first choice, and if an establishment does not stock it I frequently order tonic water or I go elsewhere.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75