George Killian's Irish Red | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 3,020 |  Reviews: 838
2.11/5  rDev -30.6%

Was handed a George Killian's while sitting around a fire at my buddy Gary's house. Open it up to a less than appealing smell, And it looked somewhat darker than the beer that I typically drink. I take a large gulp of it and I can't say that I prefer it. It tasted very stale and it didn't appeal to me. It isn't horrible by any means, Just not very good. I believe there were tons of these leftover the day after. I don't really mind darker beer but this is probably one of the worst.

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%

2.5/5  rDev -17.8%

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%

3.75/5  rDev +23.4%

2.77/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Irish beer! Hah! This is what I would drink in my early years of college when I was trying to branch out from all of the "Bud Light" drinkers and whatnot. Though Killian's isn't what I'd consider "good" beer, I still consider it to be far better than many American Adjunct Lagers, and I still feel that way today.

On tap at Applebee's, it pours a deep orange color that bleeds with some red tints and rust near the edges. The slightly darker than white head doesn't stick around for long and leaves no lace behind. The aroma is solemn and hard to deceipher; maybe some toasted caramel malts, cereal grains, and a slight twinge of metallic, barely musty hoppage. Not much there, but it's not exactly off-putting, either.

The same thing could be said about the taste. There's a slightly brash bitterness that hits up front and takes the rest of the time to mellow out. Lightly toasted malts, some apple skins, mild hop flavor, and just a touch of sweetness in the finish. Again, not much going on here, but nothing is really making me head for the hills either. Thin bodied, over-carbonated a bit, crisp, clean and dry mouth feel in the finish.

This is more like a case of "where is it" than "what is it". Nothing that really stands out as being gross or offensive, rather everything is pretty muzzled and flavor/aroma-less. Not something I'd normally order, but when your other choices are Coors Light and Summer Shandy... well, desperate times call for desperate measures.

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company