George Killian's Irish Red | Coors Brewing Company

coors.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Ratings: 3,016 |  Reviews: 837

Pours clear orange with streaks of red throughout. Head is small and gone within seconds. Aroma of sweet malt. Not too much flavor except for a little sweetness. Little to no hops detected at all. Finish is watery with no bitterness and only very very slight dryness.

3.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber colored beer with a rapidly fading head.aroma is faint caramel malts.Taste is the same caramel malts with some toasted malts.Overall a decent beer that is perfect for barbeques and all other sort of summer outings.I would recommend and purchase again.

4.03/5  rDev +32.6%

From a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a light red color almost orange like. It has a smallish head something predictable from Coors brewing. Has the typical coors scent to it but a little more deeper. It has a darker taste then most coors products. It has about the same after taste of coors banquet. It goes down smooth a beer I grew up with I love it. It is my safety beer. I recommend it to everyone especially around st. pattys day.

3.21/5  rDev +5.6%

BB: APR 04 11 :D

Rounded pint glass. Pretzels at the ready.

Spotless ruby brown body. Inch & change of flimsy, off-white head.

Smells of soggy malt & a bit of maple. Edges of sharp earthy/spicy hops, though pretty reserved.

Sharp, subtly bitter start. Sugary middle, then closing hard with crackers. Earthy/dirt finish. Needs more bite.

Carbonation is prickly, but constant. Hairy body. Alcohol jumps out at you every now & then.

Easy.

2.72/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Pours a burnt orange with some reddish hues. A thick off white head bubbles up with decent retention, leaving some streaky patches of lacing on the glass.

Some roasty malt with caramel edges, dirtied by some funky dishwater bitterness.

Slightly bitter up front with hops and malted sweetness. Roasted biscuit tones hold the base together with some steely bitterness. Plenty of dry hops towards the finish with lingering flavor.

Medium body, high carbonation, sticky and dry, but not in a pleasant fashion. Another expendable, forgettable beer, although better than typical light macro brews.

4.01/5  rDev +31.9%

Reddish color as the name suggests. Not overly flavorful, but kind of bold maybe. I was expecting a little more taste, but overall I found this to be a satisfying brew. Has a little different finish than most beers I've drank. Its pretty good, I think I paid $6.77 for 6 at Wal-mart - cap is real, not twist off.

A strong contender for the worst beer I've ever had.

To start, the smell is pretty indicative of what you got. A funky, slightly dirty smell is really overpowering before you ever take a drink.

The mouthfeel is way too carbonated, enough to make it really unpleasant. A dirty, kinda nutty taste to it, accompanied with the worst aftertaste ever. Every drink made me want to vomit, and I can't imagine ever wanting to drink this again.

Thank God it was free for winning a round of trivia. Would never recommend this to anyone.

3.77/5  rDev +24%

Amber red color not much of a head. More of a film. It's a interesting color.

Malt in the first sniff. Wheat, cherry and caramel.

Taste/Mouth Feel This is all caramel some cherry, mixing with a wheat taste. I like the taste but it's a little bland. The mouth feel
isn't that great. Average at most. But this is a good tasting beer.

Drink ability is good. I could have a few of these. Nice taste almost a session beer.

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

Ordered a pitcher of this with a friend of mine at a local Mexican restaurant. A good way to start off the spring semester. Served in frosted mugs.

Appearance: Pours a deep and clear amber/red color with a tightly knit two-finger head of off-white bubbles. Leaves some pretty good lacing down the glass. Nice carbonation going on

Smell: At first, it has a pretty standard "beer" smell. As it warms though, some roasty malts come through in the nose as well as a kiss of earthy and spicy hop presence as well as some bread/biscuit. Not offputting by any means, just pretty standard across the board. Nothing too exciting, but still nice.

Taste: Very linear and close to the smell - sweet but generic caramel malts, very pleasing to the tongue, followed by some spicy but subdued hop flavors and just a hint of biscuit/bread like flavors as it goes down. Virtually no aftertaste except for some lingering sweetness. Nice and pleasing, nothing too complex and it paired nicely with our Mexican dishes.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick, but not watery or thin. The carbonation helps the finish of the beer, which is only somewhat drying and makes me want another drink. Light-medium in consistency and only slightly filling.

Drinkability: My friend and I debated ordering another pitcher, haha. Very drinkable for times when you're just chilling with friends and need an easy-going beer that doesn't taste like crap. Would definitely go after it again if I was in a pinch and didn't want craft beer.

2.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Ok, I have debated whether or not to even review beer like this because I am not interested in taking a snobby, snide approach to a beer that doesn't claim to be a craft brew. I crack a Natty Ice from time to time, and I would be lying to say that I didn't enjoy it. All beer has it's place. Although Killian's is better served with a drop shot of Baileys and Jamison, it can be enjoyed for what it is...affordable beer.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a clear amber with a tiny half-finger head.

Faint sweet malts in the nose, and that's pretty much it!

Tastes about the way it smells, but add a little hop bitterness at the finish that doesn't linger. Mild all the way around, with no off flavors at least. I like what I'm tasting, but just wish there was more of it.

Mouthfeel seems pretty good for the style.

Easy-drinking brew... lighter flavors might even enhance how "drinkable" it is, but there's not anything out of the ordinary about it. Still, I'll take this over your typical BMC mega-macro rice and corn-adjunct beer anytime!

3.68/5  rDev +21.1%

Tap into pint glass

A: Ultra clear amber/red. No evident carbonation. Small, weak head.

S: Not much but a sweet malt.

T: Crisp malt with a distinct bitter presence on the finish that doesn't linger. A little ripe fruit and good richness.

M: Heavily carbonated with medium viscosity. Slightly chewy.

D: Very refreshing with a nice flavor profile to match. Again, not craft but still drinkable.

3.04/5  rDev 0%

I actually didn't know this was a Coors product, though it doesn't surprise me because the selection at the bar on Long Island was pretty bad. We had 20 minutes until a train came into the city, so time for a beer at the bar next door. Pours a copper-amber colour without any head whatsoever. No lacing either. Fairly sweet smell of toasted caramel. Just sweetness in the flavour, no bitterness. Thin mouthfeel. I guess this beer is fine to drink and I wouldn't pass it up for free, but I don't plan to pay for one again.

3.56/5  rDev +17.1%

Brought in a clean, room temperature glass...I requested no chilled glassware. About 1 finger head of very light brown. Color of the brew was a medium brownish red. Smell of wheat, rye, and malt. Just a note: I find it harder to make out smells while food is going by. Well balanced flavor of roasted wheat, rye, hops, and malt, tangy after taste. A little weak in the mouth feeling, but much better than light beers. Better than most of the selection on tap, will order again while there.

2.54/5  rDev -16.4%

Not offensive and not desirable.

A: Amber to copper. Bit of a creamy head that disappears pretty quickly. No lace.

S: Mostly absent. Maybe some caramel or light toasty malt.

T: Some malt and some sweet. Faint toast with a little more caramel.

Goes down easy. Nothing to get excited about but nothing to turn your nose up at.

3.28/5  rDev +7.9%

This is a beer that is readily available at many chain restaurant bars. It's one of the better main-stream beer choices out there although I would probably rather have a Samuel Adams Boston Lager or whatever Sam Seasonal beer is available.

The beer is smooth and easy to drink even though it has a little carbonation to it. The color is beautiful but the taste and smell I would say are just average overall.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served from tap into a McGee's Irish Pub & Restaurant mug. Poured red-orange with a minimal white head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and caramel. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, and nutmeg. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this wasn't really a great beer. I have never really been a fan of this beer and now I remember why... In my opinion there are just too many off flavors for this style and is not appealing to my palate. Nutmeg is also not one of my favorite flavors in a beer either. The aroma was okay though for the most part, but that is about it.

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz. bottle. Pours copper color with long lasting off-white head. Soda like carbonation. Very light aroma of floral hops, caramel malt, and alcohol. Light body. Flavor is also light: floral hops caramel malt and alcohol (too much for the style). Finish practically non existent. I still remember I used to like this beer when I was Coors Extra Gold fan.

3.13/5  rDev +3%

Served in a slightly frosted shaker pint glass.

Apparently there are still Quizzo beers I haven't yet reviewed. As I tick this one, it pours a clear sunset amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises only light mandarin oranges and light toffee. The taste doesn't deviate too far from this, adding only a touch of orange peel and a small dash of pepper. The body is a straight medium, with a moderate carbonation and a kinda dry finish. Overall, a decent li'l brew, nothing to write home about but more than enough for Quizzo.

3.65/5  rDev +20.1%

I bought this in a 8-pack Mircobrewery variety pack from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $12 in late 2010.

Killian's Irish Red to me is a very under rated beer. It pours a reddish amber color as the scent of carmal malts tickle your nose and also your tounge upon tasting. It has a very mellow taste which makes for some easy drinking. Hardly a craft beer but still a nice drink.

2.7/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance - Deep golden amber with reddish tints and orange hues around the bottom and sides. Off white head with average girth and retention. Some lacing left behind. Clear with a few bubbles rising.

Smell - Aromas are a bit hidden. I am detecting a slight dank, earthy hop presence. Some breadiness and touches of caramel

Taste - Some dry breadiness with caramel touches. Some hop bitterness is there, but not overly present. I'm finding a cherry flavored cough syrup type of flavor as the beer starts to warm.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light mouthfeel. Respectable dryness. A bit smooth and some aftertaste is left covering the palate. Not bad.

Drinkability - This is one of the first non-standard beers I ever tried. Not as good as I remember. May be a nice entry level Irish Red. I would choose this over any "macro", however I'm probably done experimenting with this. Not horrible, but if left to my own devices, I doubt if I choose this.

3.23/5  rDev +6.3%

It pours a dark brown with a slight red hue along with a white foamy head.

Caramel malts were at the forefront of the aroma.

As for the taste, an Irish Red this is not! I wouldn't even say this was a decent American Amber/Red Ale. There was a very weak hops profile. For the most part the malts ran the show, and was hardly a performance. The hops were the first flavor I tasted but it quickly dissipated giving way to the malts. At first the malt flavor tasted good. It had a nice roasted-ness to it that worked well with its hops lead-in. Unfortunately, that initial hops/malt pairing was quickly over powered by a caramel beer swill flavor. For the most part all the good parts of this beer get washed out. It was tasty for only a few brief moments then it quickly turned to forgettable.

It does have an ease of drinkability, but this is barely a compliment.

Overall, real beer drinkers know this is not genuine. This is a beer for the macro crowd. I only drink this beer when I go to a bar with a limited selection. Sadly there are too many bars that carry this as a "premium," so chances are I will have it again. It's not necessarily bad, it just does not live up to its label.

2.32/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A - Beautiful amber red color. Foamy head that dissipates quickly and leaves a light ring around the edges

S - Slightly sweet aroma with hits of hops. Swirled and sniffed again and got a nose full of malts. Also, a slight unpleasant aroma - possibly metallic in nature

T - First punch of malt that mellows quickly and gives way to the hops. Also metallic taste after about 5 seconds.

M - Thin and unimpressive. Not much thicker than water. Bubbly in the mouth...almost seeming carbonated.

D - Very easy to drink and value priced. Nice alternative to other mainstream beers for a party or gathering.

2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Served on tab the beer was a nice red golden color with almost no head and whatever there was , dissipated immediately with no lacing.
Almost no smell, may be a hint of artificial flavoring.
The taste was rather disappointing. Malt, artificial flavors, bread. Certainly not my favorite. A typical mass production beer.
Good drinkability.

2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A friend brought this over so I decided to give it whirl. The bottle filled the glass with red-orange colored brew with some semblance of a head. Sweet adjunct and artificial caramel dominate the nose. Thin on the palate. The flavors range from caramel malt to corn sweetness with not much bitterness at the end. Not Impressed.

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company