George Killian's Irish Red | Coors Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-06-2001

Reviews: 827 | Ratings: 2,936
3.83/5  rDev +26%

Good beer to pair with food, especially pizza. It is a darker beer however can still be considered one of those everyday drinkers. Reminds me of one of the darker Sam Adams. 2-3 Finger tall head of foam however it quickly dies. Nice amount of carbonation. Would definitely recommend if you haven't tried this before.

3.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

meh, it's a nice drinkable red beer that goes great with dinner, mostly because it's the best beer available at most restaurants. my wife likes it. but she still can't drink the whole bottle sometimes.... I don't mind finishing it. I guess that says something. don't even waste decent beer.

3.85/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Taste of caramels, biscuit and a bit peanut-y. I really enjoyed this beer, and it goes to show you can still make a good beer by sticking to the basics.

3.27/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I usually drink these straight from the bottle, but what the hell. Pours in to a Craft Beer Exchange pint glass with a nice amber color and a high degree of transparency. 2 fingers of light beige foam disappear quickly, leaving only a thin film and a small collar. The aroma is pretty clean. Just some sweet malty aromas. Perhaps a little hint of ripened fruits. Not much there, but pleasant. The flavor of Killians is unmistakable. Of course there are the typical sweet caramel-like malt flavors that are common for the style. But there's also something more. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'd say it's reminiscent of a vanilla extract flavor. It's a bit earthy, and reminds me of Jordanian almonds with that hard vanilla candy shell. I've picked this up in "vanilla" beers such as Snowdrift and Breckenridge, so it's odd to find it here, but it seems to work. The body of the beer is medium and easy. Quite unintimidating. It's simple and accessible. Despite some of the flavors being a bit disjointed, and a notion that the product may be on the "cheap" side, it comes together pretty well in the end. This is a classic that helped launch my love of craft beer. It was one of the first brews that I sampled that dared to stray from the fizzy, yellow water recipe, and I for that I am probably a bit a partial.

3.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Really not so bad...my Dad had a penchant for this stuff and I had some as a youngster and it was the first time I remember savoring a beer...for what it's worth...

4.02/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Commercialized Red, but tasty. Used to have a good price tag on it but the price has continued to rise on it as if Coors was trying to get more drinkers by making it seem more like a "craft beer"

3.95/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A classic. Here goes:

A: Reddish-brown with a massive head and lacing. Also has a ton of carbonation. Crystal clear. Splendid-looking beer.

S: Baker's yeast, amber and caramel malt. Generic red lager.

T: Good. Caramel and amber malt give way to a touch of baker's yeast. Well-balanced and tasty.

F: Very well carbonated.

O: Solid beer. Would definitely have it again.

3.69/5  rDev +21.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into "craft beer glass" (wide-mouthed stick)

L: dark orange-red ... brilliantly clear; minimal head of beige foam, maybe 1/3-inch tall, no stick; no lacing but it's keeping a 50/50 skin and nice collar of beige foam; no major lacing

S: sour grain ... toasted barley; sweet nose, very pleasant; sour corn ... sour/toasted corn

T: good toasted barley malt, lots of sweetness, no major hop presence ... some corn, sour corn (not creamed corn); just a hint of rubbing alcohol taste, perhaps a bit medicinal

F: full, prickly carbonation and good midweight ... very solid

O: not bad at all ... this red almost has a toasted-malt taste like a good California Common, but there's definitely no hop presence, not even a bit of dirt; too big a swallow has a vodka/rubbing alcohol taste, but otherwise it's a decent little malty lager with some nice toasted notes and nothing to keep you from downing a few for a good session. very decent brew and a pleasant surprise.

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Reddish brown with a large tan colored head

S: Little sweet malts, mostly lager yeast smell

T: Sweet malts, not much else. I had it a little too cold, I think a little warmer would bring out more of a flavor profile.

M: Medium

O: Not a bad beer for the price but not the best ever. Will buy again.

3.12/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours redish amber with a bubbly light tan head that settles rather quickly with no lacing.

S: Pretty tame, a little bready and caramel malty sweetness, and a little earthy hops.

T: Caramel/toffee sweetness, bready maybe slightly toasted malt, a little earthy hops, and some grainy and cooked vegetable notes.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Not terrible, better than your average BCM lager. Not a bad choice for a 6 pack to take to a party with a lot of non craft drinkers.

3.77/5  rDev +24%

Appearance: Pours a red/amber color with a very thin head that quickly dissipates
Smell: A brief peaty smokiness followed by caramel and malt
Flavor: Follows the nose with a dry finish, and a bready aftertaste that fades fast
Mouthfeel: Thin, but not as thin as a pilsner or light lager, follows a traditional red ale style
Overall: A good beer for the money, not one that I'd scoff at as a craft drinker, and one that a BMC drinker could also enjoy, would buy again.

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a thick off white head that falls moderately with some very light lacing. Head retention is good throughout the drink. Color is clear reddish-amber with moderate streaming carbonation.
Aroma: malt is quite dominate with whole wheat bread and caramel. There is an earthy hop presence in the background.
Mouthfeel: fairly light and frothy with a quick somewhat dry finish.
Flavor: caramel and a strong bread presence with a mild earthy hops in the finish.
Overall: a decent and drinkable brew.

3.64/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dad was a beer drinker. He was easy to buy for: beer. We'd always get him something interesting for his birthday like Tsing Tao or something with a strange name. This was one of his favorite beers. When he discovered this, he raved about it. At his 60th birthday party, he had a keg of this. That was a good party.

As the name suggests, this has a reddish tint in its color. It's a great lager, and it has a wide appeal. Sophisticated beer snobs won't look down their noses at it, and less experienced beer drinkers will love it. It's perfect for a birthday party. Times have changed, and our favorite beers of yesteryear just can't compete with today's full flavored beers, but this is still great stuff.

3.39/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

An amber colored lager that has a pretty good looking color to it and a nice aroma. Comes off clean and crisp after a sip which is to be exoected for a light bodied beer.

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance - 3/5
Pours a moderately dark orange-amber color. Extremely clear. No head presence. Can see an average amount of carbonation rising up at an average rate.

Smell - 3/5
Sweet maltiness, tastes like an amber ale. Maybe faint traces of breadiness or spiciness. Also a detectable alcohol smell.

Taste - 2.5/5
A deep syrupy malty sweetness, tastes of an amber ale. Not that great of a taste though. The taste is not very strong either, the beer is kinda bland.

Mouthfeel - 2.5/5
The beer is probably medium bodied, but it feels a lot thicker because it has a deep syrupy character to it. I don't really like the feel of this beer in my mouth. It is crisp and the carbonation is light.

Overall - 3/5
I remember having this beer before and liking it, so when I tried it this time, I was surprised at how unimpressive it was. I mean, I knew it was only a mediochre beer at best. But clearly my palate my changed. This beer was not that good. I would never go out and buy a 6-pack of it. I think I might even prefer a Miller/Bud lite over this.

3.29/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - clear reddish amber with a 1 finger white frothy head that dissipates quickly to a thin white layer. moderate to high carbonation. 3.5/5

S - toasted bread. malty. a hint of caramel. malty forward with an ever so slight hint of grassy hops. slight sourness. 3.25/5

T - grainy. cereal. grassy finish. lingering bitterness. biscuit. a hair buttery. flavor expresses more hops than aroma does. ever so slight hint of caramel. malt is somewhat muted compared to aroma. hint of green apple. 3.25/5

M - some carbonation burn. finishes dry. medium bodied. 3.5/5

O - decent macro offering. taste does not necessarily reflect the aroma. 3.25/5

3.22/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On-tap at Phebe's Tavern & Grill, New York, NY

A: The beer is crystal clear amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short light beige head that hardly died down.
S: Light aromas of sweet toasted and caramel malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and is mostly dominated by malty flavors—toasted matls and bits of caramel sweetness stand out in particular. No bitterness is perceptible, but there is enough hops to prevent this from being overly sweet.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, smooth and a little clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink. While it doesn't have much in the way of interesting flavors, it does have a pleasant mouthfeel.

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%

Appearance: Amber color with no visible carbonation. Head about 1 finger thick, laces the glass the whole way down

Smell: Light malty aroma.

Taste: Wheat/grain taste, sweet maltness, light caramel, little spice

Mouthfeel: Very thin, water like

Overall: This beer is okay, its good I guess just with it was more. I would give it a C.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours clear reddish copper color with a thick foamy 2 finger beige head that was full of bubbles and faded slowly, leaving good foamy lacing coating the sides and rings as it went down. Lots of active carbonation with visible bubbles racing up the brew.

Smells of toasted grains, caramel, wet bread dough, corn, wheat, mild fruit and processed carbs like a combo of Wonder Bread and cardboard. Aroma is on the dull side with no hop presence to speak of and definite whiffs of macro ingredients. A severe drop off in quality after the impressive pour from the bottle.

Tastes very similar to the nose, with toasted grains, light caramel, wet bread dough, a fruit sweetness, wheat, yeast or cardboard and a mix of malty accents that seem earthy or like dirt fell in the beer. The lack of any sort of hop flavor made it quite boring and unbalanced, sadly erasing my fond memories of enjoying this when it first came out while I was in college.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, with light carbonation, a lighter body and a slightly bitter grainy finish. I wanted to like it more for the sake of nostalgia, but this falls just short of average. After the pour tonight it was all down hill. I’d grab an Amstel or Miller over this if a place only served macro beer.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

Decent, but nothing that stands out. Color is ok and head is decent but leaves very quickly. not much of a nose, maybe a touch of malt. Flavor is ok, very light with a touch of sweet malt and an ever so light hint of hops. ood beer if there is not many other options and this one should be drank very cold...

3.46/5  rDev +13.8%

It was the summer of 98 and before heading back to school me and couple of friends decided to make one last road trip- we were hell bent on catching a Rockies game in Denver and after making it there and enjoying the game we were hell bent on making another memory- touring the Coors brewing facility in Golden. We'd already been drinking, we had no business being there we didn't give a shit but we wanted the free brews at the end of the tour-

My friend wasn't 21 and rolled up on the lady and said he wanted one. She said,"one what?" He said that red one. She said,"George Killian's Red?" He said Yup. We got 5.

It's Coors. It's a Killian's red. Is supposed to be shitty but to me it's stuck w a dang good story so I consider the taste and overall fantastic.

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

I am reviewing this simply because it was the first beer I ever ordered for myself, back in August of 1988. Back then, life was basically a macro brewery unless you had the wallet for imported beers.

I remember thinking it was cool to see a beer in a glass that wasn't yellow.

I remember thinking it actually smelled different. It also poured what now would be a decent head.

I remember thinking it had a different taste, in 1988 very few people knew that there were different species of hops…

I had no idea what mouthfeel was…it drank good enough to order another.

Overall, I know it is made by Pete, and I know it is not a true Irish anything…but it did one thing, it made me start looking beyond Bud and Coors.

3.19/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got no head, a mahogany brown (as in not red) body, and mostly adequate lacing.

I smell malts, but they smell a hair funky. I dunno...

Tastes like malts, yes. But not as roast-y and full as I would like it to be. This brew is not light; don't get me wrong. I just feel that it could use a touch more of ingredients.

Mouthfeel is generally clean and smooth. I actually want this to be a bit more viscous.

Overall a 3.25 for George Killian's Irish Red from Coors Brewing Company. I would have rated this brew higher if it had more of a savory theme going on. To me, this is just a hair too crisp. I may buy this brew again.

3.88/5  rDev +27.6%

George Killian's Irish Red Brewed By Coors Brewing with an ABV of 4.9% This brew pours out a make dark amber color with a nice white head. This brew has a red tint to it, but it is not a true red. The smell is rich with grains, brew , and some sweetness. Nothing fancy about the smell of this brew. The taste is rich and smooth. There is nothing overpowering in this brew i t has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is no bad aftertaste to this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A decent, drinkable red. Just not what I would call the best option out there. Nothing offensive, but nothing extraordinary either. It's one of the more famous macro versions of the style.

Would Drink Again: Yes