Chocolate Porter | Amos Howard's Brew Pub

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Amos Howard's Brew Pub
North Carolina, United States

Style: American Porter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by brentk56 on 02-14-2005

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 5
Reviews by brentk56:

Appearance: Pours a coffee brown body with a light tan/cream colored head; bits of lacing run down the side of the glass

Smell: As you would expect from a brew with chocolate in its name, the smell is primarily chocolate along with some roasted malt

Taste: Starts out sweet and mild and then the flavors build from there; sweet backbone built upon by some moderate bitter flavors through to the finish

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with light to medium carbonation

Drinkability: Nice, sweeter style porter that is very pleasant on the palate

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this on tap 2 months ago, review based on notes

Poured chestnut with 2 fingers of sand colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Chocolate & iron

T: Chocolate (bakers & bitter), iron & roasted malt up front. This taste persists throughout. Finishes with dry & roasty malt notes

MF: Smooth with low carbonation & great balance

Drank easy, probably one of the best beers I had from OHB this summer

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Dark brown and black with a nice red hue. Creamy tan head and lots of good lace.
Sweet and chocolate smell, just not as much as I expected.
This is an excellent tasting porter. Sweet chocolate and roasted malt with just enough hop bite at the end. I love porters and this is one of the best I've had.
The slight bitter aftertaste gives this porter a nice mouthfeel.
Very drinkable.
I think the Chocolate Porter would be worth a trip to Hickory. If your ever in the area it's definately worth seeking out.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Had this on tap at the Halloween party while watching Soul 69. This beer is fairly dark with a slightly chocolate smell. You could certainly taste the chocolate. I have had several chocolate beers but this one is the one that stands out among them. This one rivals Rogue for the best I've had. I already had my growler filled with OHB stout when I tried this one but you can be sure that when I go back my growler will be filled with Chocolate Porter. This is an easy drinking beer.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Saw this on the list last time I was in town but for some reason strayed away. This time I couldn't resist.

A near black with ruby highlights, thin tan head and slow, steady carbonation.

Some lightly roasted malts. Sweet chocolate steps to the forefront as expected. A little bitterness follows up but fades more as the beer warms and lets the chocolate come through in great form.

Mouthfeel is medium and creamy. The carbonation helps this greatly while the bitter bite hurts it some.

I really enjoyed this beer. The standout of the evening out of three random beers tasted. I recommend this for sure...we need to start getting some more local growler trades going on here, people!

Chocolate Porter from Amos Howard's Brew Pub