Congress Street IPA | Trillium Brewing Company

Trillium Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
trilliumbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Our flagship American IPA highlights the distinctively aromatic Australian Galaxy hop. The nose bursts with pine, citrus rind, melon and pineapple. Pronounced flavors of peach, clementine, and tropical fruits are accentuated with moderate bitterness and balanced by a light, biscuity malt character.

MALT: American 2-row Barley, White Wheat, C-15, Dextrine, Dextrose

HOPS: Galaxy, Columbus

Added by TheAnk on 10-04-2013

Reviews: 227 | Ratings: 1,930

I kid you not this beer deserves all 5s. It is the best IPA, and best beer I have ever had. It comes in with such a tropical taste, but smacks you with hops. The mouthfeel is amazing, and the grapefruit after taste is unreal. I actually got this from the liquor store I work at on a bit of a whim, and wow I am so glad I took this over the Jacks Abby Excess I was planning on buying. If you ever see this at a store, buy it.

Poured from a 750ml bottle dated 62215.

Look: Golden yellow and hazy.
Smell: Another citrus bomb from Trillium.
Taste: Oranges, grapefruit, and tropical notes.
Feel: Very smooth and the right amount carbonation. It's sticky leaving all that awesome flavor in your mouth.
Overall: It's up there as one of my favorite IPAs. Trillium is doing something unbelievable.

Purchased a case that was bottled the day before at the brewery.

Appearance is light and hazy - it looks a lot like pineapple juice in a glass.

Smell is light and fruity. Lots of juice and tropical fruit.

Tastes is pineapple forward for lack of a better term. Very fruity, very juicy with lots of other tropical fruit present, but the pineapple in Congress St. stands out the most for me.

Mouth is also light and nicely carbonated.

Overall this is one of my favorite IPAs. It's the most pineapple tasting IPA I've ever had - and I consider that a good thing. It's a little pricey if you drink it all the time, but worth every penny.

Trillium is producing some amazing beers, and they don't get nearly the hype they deserve. If you find ANY bottle of Trillium Beer, including this one, do yourself a favor and buy it on the spot. You will not be disappointed!

Just a short note on one of the most marvelous beers, it must have something to do with the white wheat that makes this very special. My good friend tolerates my IPA madness, but he screamed this is the first IPA he has ever liked a LOT. Could not give him enough of it, and I have to say the fragrance and overall balance of this beer between the malts and hoppy flower/fruit aromas makes it one of my very hard to get favorites!

What I hate about this beer is that it makes other beers taste bad. Best single IPA I've had aside from Focal Banger. Tastes great. Juicy and fresh with a deliciously light malt backbone. Get your hands on a fresh bottle. It's great.

Looks beautiful in the glass. People with more discerning noses picked out a bouquet of flavors. Grapefruit is what stuck out the most to me. The taste seems a little one-dimensional, but not in a bad way at all. Perfectly balanced. I could drink this all night without getting tired of it. No flaws, and no suggestions for improvement, so I'm going with a perfect score for this one.

4.99/5  rDev +11.1%

A - hazy as orange juice, lots of floaties, hazier as you finish the bottle, nice orange amber color, big fluffy white head that sticks forever and leaves nice lacing
S- super juicy, orange, tangerine, pithy peach, lemon/lime, overly ripe fruits
T - also super juicy, orange, tangerine, pithy peach, lemon lime, citrus rind, overly ripe fruits, like walking through the citrus Isle at the grocery store
M- light medium mouthfeel, alcohol covered, aftertaste orange rind, bitter
O- another basically perfect iPa from trillium

4.99/5  rDev +11.1%

This is a complete fruit bomb. Light pine leads to sweet orange and pineapple on the nose and it tastes just like it smells. Smooth finish with very little bite. This is an amazing beer.

4.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 750 into a tulip.

L: Pours and incredible yellow orange color. This is definitely the best looking IPA that I've ever laid my eyes upon. There's a small white head that fades into a small ring around my glass. Forreal though, this beer looks amazing. So juicy looking.

S: Smells like heaven. Not sure what this is hopped with, but it smells like Galaxy hops. Upon further research I am indeed correct. Absolutely massive notes of peach and citrus invade my nose like a Spanish conquistador. Not sure I smell much else, but what I smell is legendary.

T: The taste, of course, follows the nose to a "T." Huge citrus and peach flavors come through like no other beer that I've had. Dare I say that this may taste one dimensional?! However, the one dimension that I taste is magnificent. I can taste a bit of yeast, but the mango and orange and pineapple is great. There are few American IPAs that I've had that can even contend with how great this is.

F: Medium mouthfeel and the 7.2 percent is non existent. However, I only think I could do 1 750 of this because if I had more in a sitting then I simply would not enjoy it as much as I should.

Overall: This beer is awesome. RECOMMENDATION: Get this in the bottle. I had this a year ago in growler form and while great, it was not this great. There's something about 32oz. screw top growlers that make the carbonation lower than it should be. If you see this in bottles, buy as much as you can. This is my second favorite American IPA of all time and I don't really see anything unseating this.

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

64 oz growler to the dome - call it the cure for the common government shutdown

Not really sure what to say here... This beer is incredibly delicious. I think a slightly thicker mouthfeel would make this perfect. Epic combo of tropical fruitiness and piney resinous characters. On par with most of the great Vermont IPA's that people are so crazy about. Go get some! Cheers!

4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Absolutely intense haziness and juicy smell. A complete surprise for me, and very delicious. For me, it's easy up in the Julius and King Sue category for juicy hoppy citrusy beers.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

It looks beautiful like pretty much any Trillium beer. The nose is tropical with a bit of sweetness. The taste is a big juicy explosion of pineapple and melon with just enough bitterness and malt presence to give it that perfect balance. Overall, a truly excellent IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip

Look - A gorgeous golden honey orange color. Completely cloudy/hazy with a fluffy/frothy/pillowy white head. Beautiful glass lacing. Very easy on the eyes!
Smell - A bouquet of tropical fruits. Pineapple, mangos, grapefruit along with some underlining piney dankness. Could have smelled it all night long.
Taste - A wonderful blend of fresh pineapple and fresh grapefruit juice! With hints of mangos and pine to go along with the ride. Middle to back of the palate you get a perfect amount of bitterness just to keep it interesting that beautifully rolls and falls off the tongue.
Feel - Just when you thought that this beer couldn't get any better, after you swallow you are left with this creamy/velvety mouthfeel that is so enticing that you just cant help but to take another sip.

Overall - My first experience with Trillium. Let me tell you, the hype is most certainly real folks. There is a reason why people from all over seek out their beers. But now the question is.......Can it get any better? Will my senses ever experience such bliss again??

4.91/5  rDev +9.4%

This one is a tropical bomb. I get a ton of mango, and orange juice flavor out of this one with the mango being the star. Everything about this beer screams New England style IPA juice bomb. Love this beer, the only problem is that I live no where near the source.

4.91/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thank you SuperHop18 for this amazing extra! Pours a hazy, gold color with a thick 2 finger head with great retention. Lots of tropical fruit on the nose with hints of pine resin. Fruity on the tongue with great bitterness and just enough malt to balance it out nicely. Medium bodied with good carbonation.
Overall, this is as close to a textbook IPA as I have ever had! Well balanced and expertly crafted, outstanding work Trilium Brewing.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

I had some discouraging preconceptions from some other friends of mine that have said not as good as Hill Farmstead, Lawson's, or Tree House. Nonetheless, I truly beg to differ. I think that Trillium really holds its own against all of them [Tree House is still the best though]. Congress is a deep, hazy orange with two finger soapy head. It smells of citrus especially grapefruit. The taste is also heavily grapefruit but not overly bitter by the balanced chewy softness of the mouthfeel and possibly the fact that some of the hop profiles faded after opening 2 months after bottling. All things considered, Trillium's Congress Street is something that should NOT be overlooked.

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a bright gold with a pillowy cloud-like off white head. It is bursting with citrus. I get oranges, tangerine, and lemon zest. There is a ton of zesty citrus flavors complimented by a soft chalky mouthfeel and a dank, earthy underlying bitterness. For me, this is the best IPA in Massachusetts.

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

This checks all the boxes you want in an ipa. Has that nice NE cloudy appearance. Smells a little more subtle than expected but all the notes are there. Pineapple, mango, pine, a little earthiness. Taste explodes with pineapple, peach, pine, and some wheat cracker malt. Feels smooth and creamy. Great ipa that's surprisingly balanced for a tropical hop bomb.

4.85/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Hazy, hazy, hazy. Looks like a creamsicle. Tried this for the first time yesterday. Nose is heavy mangoes and peaches and oranges. Taste is heavier on the peach and citrus - and is outstanding. Been waiting to try this for a while. Well worth the wait.

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yet another hazy, orange juice appearance with a creamy white head. I enjoy the hazy beers but Trillium sure doesn't offer much in the way of variety in how their beers look, that's for sure. But you know what? I love it.

Anyway, the aroma is a subtle balance of pine, orange, pineapple, and what seems to be pepper? I can't quite tell. Anyway, it's beautiful.

The taste is creamy and citrusy, with the piney hop resin coming in full throttle at the end. Definitely a far more subtle tasting IPA than I expected, considering the hype. But this is not a bad thing by any means. I expected something more akin to a typical "hop bomb", but got a beer far more balanced and creamy. Love it.

The carbonation is moderate with the alcohol being well hidden. This beer has a very thick, creamy feel to it that I can always appreciate.

Overall, one of the best IPA's I've ever had. An absolutely fantastic offering from Trillium, who continue to blow my mind every time I go to Boston for a visit.

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle into a glass

A - Yellow-orange, thick, creamy head

S - Lovely citrus hoppy aroma

T - Follows the nose, excellent

M - So nice and creamy for an IPA, a real change of pace

O - this is one of the best IPAs I've had, not quite the best, but this is probably in the top 10. Will seek this out again.

4.81/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had many different type of beers and this beer is a great IPA.. Trillium has been on point with a lot of beers and they hit it with this one.. This beer is hoppy with an unbelievable citrus taste.. If I had to compare this beer to any beer it would be Abner by Hill Farmstead.. Cheers!!!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle less than a week old. Color is a hazy yellow and looks like fresh squeezed juice. Aroma is sweet citrus . Taste is fresh and crisp with notes of grapefruit, peach, and apple. There is also some pine. The finish is a mild and enjoyable bitterness. Leaves the mouth coated with a slightly dry. Very delicious and drinkable IPA.

4.81/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had it in a can dated 8/4/16 explosive aroma of orange,citrus, slightly dank. Looks like juice in a glass, mouthwatering, I can smell it across the room
Taste follows the nose, very well done IPA. Finishes dry wanting more.

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Fresh-sliced pineapple. Red grapefruit. Mango. Pine. Dank grass. Subtle peach.

T: Purée. Grapefruit. Bitter melon. Marmalade-like tangerine. Peach pits. Subdued caramel-like finish.

M: Medium-bodied. Creamy. Prickly carbonation. Mildly sweet finish.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

O: A great showcase of Galaxy hops. The fundamental feel of the brew isn't too different from Fort Point as they share a similar malt bill and bittering hop (Columbus), but whereas the fruity elements in Fort Point presented themselves in a bright and light (as if they'd fly away any minute) manner, the same elements are better grounded and feel more substantial on the palate here. Slightly sweeter finish than Fort Point, but not at all unpleasant.

Congress Street IPA from Trillium Brewing Company