Cutting Tiles (Mosaic) | Trillium Brewing Company

Cutting Tiles (Mosaic)Cutting Tiles (Mosaic)
4.54/5
World-Class
Cutting Tiles (Mosaic)Cutting Tiles (Mosaic)

Trillium Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
trilliumbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Formerly Artaic.

Artaic Double IPA is brewed with 100% Mosaic hops in all kettle, whirlpool and two massive dry hop additions. Local raw wildflower honey keeps the body light and drinkable but provides a floral, earthy backbone. Juicy, candied peach and nectarine up front backed up with a nuanced white wine on the nose that continues straight through in the flavor profile. Pillowy soft mouthfeel, with a restrained bitterness on the finish. Artaic is an innovative Fort Point business that creates dynamic mosaics only possible through innovative robotics.

MALT: Pilsner, White Wheat, Flaked Wheat, Dextrine, C-15

HOPS: Mosaic

Added by American_Hawk on 04-24-2015

#86

Ratings: 1,262 |  Reviews: 179
Reviews by muzzy:

3.14/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2

I'm a big fan of Trillium. Moved within 10 min of the place and that was not an accident. But I do have my criticisms, moving here from across the country 10 months ago -- so I do judge objectively. Honestly, if it wasn't for the honey, this would taste absolutely terrible. The honey is all the flavor. Bitterness is too much for the malt. Not up to Trillium standards. Though I'm sure they'll brew it many more times, since the downtowners don't get anything better and buy it out immediately.

This is why I travel 75 min to Tree House every week.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was a blind taste. I didn't know what I was drinking, but I was blown away as soon as I smelled it. The taste did not disappoint. I immediately labeled this possibly the best IPA I've ever tasted. If they made a cologne that smelled like this, I would wear it everyday.

4.36/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am pretty sure it doesn't get better than this, although I am sure Trillium will make another beer that is better.

4.56/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally getting around to reviewing this beer after enjoying back on 6/6/15 thanks to the help of BA Shaggy9356. Luckily I have some notes to put some details to why I loved this beer so much--maybe my favorite from Trillium. Anyhoo, I enjoyed it out of a dark brown 750 ml bottle with a bottling date of 5/19, so about two and a half weeks old. Poured into a Speigelau IPA glass.

Appearance (4.5) - Pours a glowing golden amber color with a fair amount of cloudiness to the body, which allows the light to bounce off of it and create that radiant hue. I'm enamored with the way the curvature of the upper part of the glass is accented by the shading, going from a bright maize to a darker apricot in the shadows. At the very bottom, there are bright spun gold highlights where the light passes through with the least impediment. Atop the body sits a three finger tower of dense, creamy off-white head. The bubbles are tight and concentrated near the body but become a little more frothy and open near the top, making me wish I was about an inch tall so I could dive into the pillowy foam. Retention is excellent and the bulk of the head remains for some time before receding to about a finger of residual foam with swaths of sticky lace adorning the sides of the glass.

Smell (4.75) - I have my notes, but I'm having a hard time finding a good way to describe just how striking the aroma of this beer was to me. It was one of those situations where you stick your nose down in the glass initially to see what you're working with, but the desire to objectively note and catalog what you are smelling is overtaken by that desire to indulge in the primal enjoyment of the smell. Obviously, there is a bunch of tropical and stone fruit, as befitting a Trillium hoppy beer, but there is a fantastic herbal element of clover and yes, even hints of cannabis providing a wonderful counterpoint to the fruitier notes. In many ways, it reminds me of the flagship beer of another Massachusetts brewer, but with more emphasis on the herbal side than the fruity side. I'm not entirely sure if I'm getting honey on the aroma or if those notes of clover are what I'm picking up.

Taste (4.5) - As to be expected, the taste follows the nose to some degree. Big notes of tropical fruit and herbal character, only now with a subtle sweetness that I can only assume is the honey. I'm pretty sure that honey will ferment 100% out of the brew, but every beer with honey I've ever had definitely imparts a natural sweetness that it's hard not to believe is the residual flavor profile from that fermented honey. I don't know what cannabis tastes like, but the pungency of that element in the smell seems to invate my tastebuds a bit. But really, all the other elements serve to commplement the excellent presence of nectarine and mango and guava. The stinky "in a good way" element only serves to round out the overall profile.

Mouthfeel (4.5) - Body is light, but not airy or watery--it still has enough heft to make for a fulfilling beer. Carbonation is moderate. And surprisingly, the overall feel is not as juicy as I might have expected given the presence of the fruit characteristics. There is a nice dryness witha slight bitterness to the finish that pairs wonderfully with the sweeter profiles from the taste.

Overall (4.5), this is probably my favorite beer from Trillium, and that's not for lack of trying the others. This is the one that I finished thinking that I really wanted another bottle or three to drink right at that moment. At the very least, this is the one out of all of them that stood out the most in my mind. I'm not sure if that's from the honey, the extensive use of Mosaic hops, or a combination of the two. Either way, I really enjoyed this beer.

Needs to be a 5+ for the nose on this thing!

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%

Drank from a 25.4 fl oz (750 ml) bottle purchased at Trillium Brewing Company, Boston, MA
051915
Served in a snifter

Fantastic appearance. The beer poured a cloudy, tawny golden yellow and was topped by a one-finger tall, frothy, bubbly, bright white crown that faded to a lasting ring of bubbles. Large blocks of patchy, drippy lacing trickled down the glass.

The aroma was simply mesmerizing. Super hoppy and intense. Ultra fruity and juicy. Tropical fruits dominated. Passionfruit immediately smacked me in the face. Loads of papaya and guava. Orange notes also came through strong. Some mango was noticeable as well. There was a pungent, dank quality too. Almost a touch musty. Fresh weed definitely came to mind.

The flavor profile was super juicy and fruity. Citrusy and bright. Loads of tangerine, clementine and orange juice. Exotic tropical fruit notes came through strong. Guava, papaya and passionfruit were quite noticeable. Loads of peach and apricot as well. This was definitely one of the most peach-forward beers I have ever come across. Touch of sweetness, perhaps from the honey. Candied orange peel appeared in the semi-sweet, lingering finish. Hint of bitterness. As the beer warmed, the clementine notes really came forth.

The mouthfeel was medium-light for the style. A touch thinner than anticipated. Soft, supple, frothy and smooth on the palate. The liquid contained a crisp, lively, sprightly effervescence.

I am a huge fan of Trillium's cloudy, dank, tropical fruit-forward hoppy beers, and Artaic just might be their best work yet. The addition of honey, although subtle, added just the right amount of sweetness to make this beer dangerously crushable. Double IPAs rarely get any better than this.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

my favorite offering from Trillium. Aroma of melon and tropical fruit typical of trillium but just way more intense than any of their other beers i have had. Taste followed the nose and explodes with sweet tropical fruit that stays steady throughout each sip, real light hop bitterness tries to sneak through on the back but is subdued by the fruit. really glad i grabbed this definitely a top DIPA

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Look: Hazy, darker, or rich orange, or even imperial orange. Yes, made up colors. Sticky, fluffy, head.
Smell: Trillium nails it with the smell. Sweet grapefruit, hops, and mango. The perfect smell for a double IPA. Impressive.
Taste: Impressive. Sweeter than the double dry hopped Congress Street. This double is on the cutting edge. The perfect balance of sweet grapefruit, hops, and mango. Nice fade out in the finish.
Feel: Substantial. Lower level of carbonation. A little sticky in the finish...maybe.

Overall - I am drinking this right after the double dry hopped Congress Street. I believe this tastes better, by a notch, but the double dry hopped Congress has a better look. This is an awesome beer.

Such a good beer. Can't compare it to anything. The perfect hops mixed with honey and small fruit flavors. Easily one of my favorite ipa's.

4.99/5  rDev +9.9%

Holy balls Batman! Can we just hook up an IV drip? Bordering on hazy, bitter perfection here. A hoppy fruit basket for your face hole that will leave you in immediate withdrawal.

4.41/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a hazy orange with nice lacing... small head .... tastes of honey, mango, light pineapple... very juicy and smells all same .... ever so slight bitter finish more sweet honey ... great overall beer and can’t wait for more .... first trillium experience and couldn’t be happier

4.86/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into a mason jar.

L: Pours a honey yellow with a small white head. This does not have the appearance of a juice bomb like most other Trillium beers that I've had in the past. Still, this looks quite appetizing.

S: Massive mosaic notes come through in an invasive way. There's not much else by way of the nose. There may be a bit of that floral honey on the back end of the nose.

T: Once again, the huge mosaic flavors overtake my palate. There's a good amount of floral character from the wildflower honey, and the honey lends a smoothness to this beer that quite frankly scares me. I can easily polish off this bomber because it's so easy to drink.

F: This is easily one of the easiest drinking DIPAs that I've ever had. No alcohol to speak of. Also, the honey makes this beer so damn smooth that I've already almost drank one glass of this and I've opened it maybe 10 minutes ago.

Overall: This beer lives up to the hype for me. I wish I would have been able to go on Friday when Trillium was letting people buy a whole case of this. I might have to sit on my other bottle for a week or 2 to see if this evolves into something better. I highly doubt it though. Great beer from a great brewery and I wouldn't expect anything less.

4.81/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

051915. Gorgeous beer. Color, head, haze. Massive bouquet of hops with incredible amounts of tropical fruit. A word I can't help but use is "rich." It's almost too intense. Floral, fruity, piney. Hop oils are out of control. You get some floral wildflower honey, too. So damn smooth, creamy, hoppy. Never cloying or overly bitter. Perfect balanced and way too drinkable. Not sure what else to say. I would rather keep drinking it. Just bummed that it's a 750ml and not 2L or more. Wow. Yes, it's this good and if there is hype in the future, it's worth it. This is everything that every Double IPA should be. Cheers, Trillium! And massive thanks go to judkinst for snagging a bottle for me!

After letting it sit the weekend, the honey absolutely comes out to play.
Without letting it sit, it's hoppy and a Trillium classic, however, I'd recommend letting it sit for a couple days to really get the hops and the honey to blend together for a delicious masterpiece.

4.99/5  rDev +9.9%

Another hyped Trillum, no big thing right? I couldn't be more wrong. This is hands down the best bottled dipa, I've had, and I've only had a couple drafts that have this beat. Its amazing how floral danky it is, while at the same time the sweetness of the honey comes through. This is about as good as it gets.

4.13/5  rDev -9%

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.87/5  rDev +7.3%

4.56/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.66/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cutting Tiles (Mosaic) from Trillium Brewing Company