Headroom | Trillium Brewing Company

Trillium Brewing Company
Massachusetts, United States
trilliumbrewing.com

Style: New England IPA

Headroom is about pushing boundaries. From its first batch brewed on Congress St. in 2015 to today, Headroom stands as a landmark, watershed beer in terms of our evolution as a brewery. Conceptually, we sought to create our boldest, most daring, hoppiest beer we could possibly dream up. Our ability to conceive and brew new Double Dry Hopped Double and Triple IPAs is born out of our foundational experience brewing Headroom. Remaining our hoppiest beer, laden with over 8 pounds per barrel of Galaxy and Mosaic Hops, Headroom represents a yearly look back at our past, a reflection on our present, and a glance into our future.

This years batch displays huge aromas of pressed orange, lemon zest, and papaya with a burst of fresh grassy hops. Rich flavors of candied peach and orange peel lead the palate with supporting notes of pithy red grapefruit, ripe pineapple, white table grapes, and mango smoothies. As with previous years, Headroom is balanced with a full, rounded mouthfeel and a soft, creamy finish.

MALT: Pale Malt, White Wheat, Flaked Wheat, Cara-Pils

HOPS: Mosaic, Galaxy, CTZ

Added by ThatsThatDude on 08-20-2015

#41

Reviews by jzeilinger:
4.46/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

well I had a bottle 5 days old and about 25 days old.

L-straight orange juice looking. completely opaque

S-best smelling beer of all time. just orange and grapefruit zest everywhere

T-taste like it smells. all hops and the little bitterness is so great and clean

F-mouthfeel is top notch...

So you see where I am going??

THIS IS THE BEST BEER I HAVE EVER HAD.. MY FAVORITE BEER OF ALL TIME...

4.47/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased August 21, consumed August 22. One of the lucky few to land and consume out of a growler.

A: Hazy, muted gold. MURKY. Moreso than your typical Trillium, which is saying a lot. So cloudy it looks like a glass full of golden beach sand. You can judge this book by its cover, it's going to be good, and it's going to be HOPPY.

S: Kitchen immediately smelled of beer when I opened the growler. Floral, bright, fruity. Not as pronounced sticky sweetness as some of their double dry hopped offerings, but it's potent. Grassier and drier smell than fort point, congress st, etc.

T: Very bright, dank, heady, fruity. Starts of grassy, fruit kicks in in the aftertaste. Not as smooth as usual, but I don't mind. This beer was made to showcase hops, and hops are what you get. Tastes like I'm inside a 95 degree room with 100% humidity where it's just me and a bounty of hops. Sticky, piney; the bitterness almost overwhelms but walks the line just right. This is one to be sipped.

O: This is really really awesome. Worth the wait in line to try something a bit off the Trillium beaten path. Just an absolute hop assault, without a malty backbone supporting it. To me, this is a wonderful thing. Often times I find malt/sugar(ie dfh 90 minute) gets in the way of what a hophead like me wants. To those who missed out, I think this beer would be comparable to UPPER CASE but turned up to 11.

I've purchased 4 bottles as well, I'm going to try and save a few and see how these taste after a few weeks. What did Boston do before Trillium existed? With offerings like this, my trips to Vermont solely for Heady Topper are no longer as frequent. I enjoy their beers almost as much as Hill Farmstead.

EDIT; 08-27-16 - a new batch of headroom. hopefully this is an annual thing because damn is it good. just as hazy as ever. juicy and dank with that signature trillium bite. There is a noticeable 'burn' that I've been noticing in Trillium beers since their expansion. Not terribly pleasant. WIll probably fade in time. Worth the wait...and the worth the god damn price too.

EDIT: 08-20-17 - Let's keep the update train rolling. 2017 batch. Just awesome. It's green, it's bitter, it's juicy, it's dank, it's sticky. it's an oxymoron of a beer. It's just a fucking mess and I fucking love it. Balance is the last word I would use to describe Headroom. This one goes to 11. I remember last year noticing the dreaded 'hop/yeast burn'. This year I do not get that. Just waves and waves of hops. See you jerks next year.

4.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Can filled 8/17/16 for hop jam, bought this morning.

Pours a decent but smaller fizzy foamy 1/2 finger head that fades semi quickly, little lacing, murky milk shake creamy orange color.

Nose mixed, tons of juicy citrus orange cream tangerine, an interesting tropical citrus, little fruity bubblegum, hint of pine, mango sherbet, faint creamy malt.

Taste brings more citrus, big creamy orange juice, tangerine, a little grapefruit and more citrus tropical fruit, hint of mango sherbet, papaya, fair musty tropical fruit, touch of dankness and pine, a spicy chewy hop comes through later, little grassy earthy, and mild sweet malt. Finish is drier slight sweetness, fair bitterness, more chewy spicy earthy grassy hop, little orange rind and musty tropical notes, big spiciness late.

Mouth is med to thicker bod, fair creamy and rich almost like I'm chewing on it, decent carb, booze hidden well.

Overall not bad, wish the carbonation and head were better, malt profile and hidden booze were nice, hops were ok, although I expected a lot more tropical fruit and more pop from the hops, thankfully the mosaic wasn't an onion pine sap bomb.

4.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

wawaweewah!! Maybe my favorite Trillium to date (that says a LOT)..pours a hazy opaque yellow, like a damn juice...pineapple-y mango smell, and tastes of grapefruit juice. Nice bitterness too. Gonna be sad when this bottle is empty, for sure!

4.79/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Sorry, but this is not orange, apricot or peach-- almost grey in color--at least ashen white peach....
hops explode as soon as you open the bottle... has the piney, resiny hops mixed with the sweaty ball sack type... holy hops batman, on the verge of too much but, that's not really possible for me....
Very unique in its uber creamy, slightly bitter, hop-exploding, nelson-sauviney-mosaic-whatever-uber-hop-fighting-deliciousness DIPA!.... way to go Trillium... truly an experience not to be missed!

4.8/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Trillium Artaic glass (noted so I can show off my cool glassware like the other reviewers on this site):

Appearance: hazy and very turbid pinkish orange color. Frothy white head comprised of tons of little bubbles that lingered for a while. Sticky, persistent lacing throughout drinking.

Aroma: one of the most pungent smells of any beer I've ever tried. Placed it down on the counter after I poured it and I could smell it from the other room. Crazy strong scent of grapefruit juice especially, with some pineapple and grapefruit rind mixed in. Easily the most refreshing smelling DIPA I've had.

Taste: Lots of floral, dank hops at the beginning, immediately followed by tons of grapefruit. Quite tropical in flavor, and really matches the smell. Bitter finish, that to me perfectly matched the aroma I got from the beer. Lots of tropical fruit flavor, followed by the rind from the fruit on the finish. Wow!

Feel: Medium-bodied and soft, with a super-long, lingering finish of stickiness and bitter hops.

Overall: it has been a while since I have had a beer this good. One of the best double IPAs I've ever had, and I wouldn't expect any less from Trillium.

4.38/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very retro check in - Trillium needs to get up and brew this one again. Although I wouldn't call it my favorite of their beers, this was another very tasty DIPA.

4.34/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Turbid as a sonbitch. Minimal head. Glowing yellow color. Trillium aroma. Green and fruity hop extract. I smell the intensity of the Mosaic and the exotic Galaxy fruits. Columbus is very underrated. Hop candy sweetness. Flavor starts off with nectarine, guava and citrusy fruit. There is also a green and earthy hop flavor. Slightly spicy hops. Candied, sweet malt finish. Doughy biscuit malt with hops squished in. Not too bitter. Just pure hop goo. Full, creamy body. Similar to many of their other hoppy offerings. I keep coming back, don't I?

3.52/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow Trillium does it again.... Not! This tastes like everything else they make. Honestly this could be DDH X Street just with a new label.

I'm sorry but it seems like Trillium is really suffering from overhype right now. Literally all of their IPAs taste the same.

4.25/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +5.8%

4.9/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.75/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.41/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.87/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.05/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours hazy bright yellow in color with minimal head. Taste is grapefruit, lime, and starfruit. Bitter--more than most Trillium beers, slightly juicy, moderate carbonation, and medium heavy bodied. More of a sipper than most Trillium beers. Edge comes off after a week and a half and then the juice stars front and center. Good, but middle of the pack for my Trillium list.

4.69/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

4.82/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75