Stentorian | Valiant Brewing Co.

Valiant Brewing Co.
valiantbrewing.com

Style: English Barleywine

Added by DoubleJ on 11-10-2013

Reviews by DoubleJ:
4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's been some time since I've had a barleywine. I know that Valiant has mastered one beer of great strength (Jericho IPA), so I hope that similar success follow into Stentorian. On-tap at the source in a branded snifter, on to the beer:

This barleywine is crimson colored and topped with a half-inch of head before leaving a solid show of lacing around the glass. I can smell success just around the corner, as this barleywine has the goods of many of the great barleywines I like. The aroma of red grapes, raisins, fruitiness, toasted malt, and coconut bring joy to my nose. And then,

MMM,MMMM,MMMM!!! Take it in, slowly, because this is one delicious beer. From the flavor profile (toasted oak, coconut, warm liquor, fruity) to the way it's balanced, to much of the 13.3% alcohol being disguised, to its very smooth mouthfeel and finish, this is one strong beer that I could happily sip on all night.

Valiant has another hard hitting winner along with Jericho, however I lean towards Stentorian, and that's saying something. Honestly, this is one of the best barleywines I've ever had, and I would love to have it again, even if $6.50 buys me an 8 ounce pour at the brewery. WOW!!

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Valiant Brewing Company in Orange, CA.

Pours an opaque crimson-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, brown sugar, caramel, toffee, and fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with brown sugar, bourbon, and wood flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of woody bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp and sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with a barrel aged presence that only seems present in the flavors.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Stentorian from Valiant Brewing Co.