D.H. IPA | Henniker Brewing Co.

Henniker Brewing Co.
New Hampshire, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Double Dry-Hopped? Different Hops every year? D.H. IPA is our designated hitter, the one in the lineup you wait for! Brewed with a sturdy malt body to balance out the outrageous amount of hops, this double IPA is not fooling around. This year we used a zippy blend of Amarillo, Apollo, Nugget, and Kohatu hops that are sure to please. Pair it with spicy food and an adventurous spirit!

Added by princeofthepoint on 03-07-2014

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 56
Reviews by Mikeypnh:

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to SawDog505 for this beer!!

A - Very hazy dark orange color with a micro-thin lacing ring.

S - Tropical fruit and light caramel malt.

T - Guava, passion fruit, floral, some spiciness, lingering bitter sweet tropical fruit.

M - Big medium body.

O - This is a fantastic beer!!!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From the 22 fl. oz. bomber released in early 2014. Sampled on March 22, 2014.

The pour is a murky, cloudy medium amber with more gold and bronze tones leading up to a decent cream colored head that lingers. Good carbonation.

The aroma is earthy, spicy, herbal, and with a touch of orange zest. The biscuit malt character is picked up too but the hops out pace that.

The body is medium and smooth.

The taste is a fine combination of toasted malts with an orange, herbal, and earthy hop character ending dryly at the end. The alcohol is near impossible to find until one finishes the bottle, which goes down extremely quick. Yes, very drinkable...watch out. I enjoyed it.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.94/5  rDev -3%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I saw there were bottles out last weekend but took my empty growlers right to the brewery on Friday 03/21/14 and got a fresh taste and brought home 2 growlers.
This beer has a slightly cloudy orangey color which I happen to like as everything you see always looks better through a slightly cloudy beer.
The taste of this beer has strong citrus overtones but a little piney finish. I found this a most pleasant beer to drink a Halibut curry that I made for dinner on Saturday. The spices in the curry seemed to bring out the flavor in the beer.
I am looking forward to many more growlers of this wonderful IPA.

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Reddish-orange body with a marshmallow head. Very nice, indeed.

Nose is fresh citrus. Really getting the Amarillo here.

Flavor is fresh and intense zest. Tangy hops on a very light malt body. Moderate sweetness and marshmallow character. Truly a tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is light, with very high carbonation. Aspirin on the palate at the finish.

Drinkability is excellent. Seems like a very nice beer to enjoy with dinner, so I think I will.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Bomber poured into a chalice

Hazy orange in appearance

Aroma of tropical fruit, citrus, orange, tangerine

Taste of the tropical fruit hops

Light to medium on the body

Nice beer

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I saw a local beer shop advertising this new arrival today (DIPA, double dry-hopped, 85 IBU) so I swung over to make sure I got a bomber of it fresh.

In general I am less than impressed with the brews coming out of New Hampshire, but I have to say, if you are a hop-head you will really enjoy this brew. It kicks ass!

I'm not sure what to say about the appearance other than that it is beautiful; a golden copper, every so slightly hazy at normal serving temperatures. What'll really get you is the nose: so fruity piney and delicious... the double dry-hop really wins here. My snifter is almost empty and the smell is still absolutely amazing.

Taste is really good, doesn't over-do it on the bitterness. Surprisingly balanced. Mouthfeel is a good kind of oily, decent amount of carb. Me like! Definitely has a bit of a boozy bite, but it works well.

This is exciting. I really hope some of you can try it fresh. It's not breaking any ground but it can stand up to some damn good imperials. I don't really know of anyone in New Hampshire even attempting this style, let alone making an impressive run at it.

I got mine at Bert's Better Beers. Hopped with Amarillo, Apollo, Nugget, and Kohatu. Cheers!

4.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bought from Trader Joe's in Nashua and poured into my trusty IPA glass.

L- Bronze, very thin head, some decent lacing. (3.75)

S- I was expecting a hop bomb for a double IPA, but what I get is more malt with the hops in the background. The hops themselves are quite fruity, some hints of pine and cedar in there. I am also getting honey as well. (4)

T- At first, I rated this lower, but now after a few swigs and swishes, I do enjoy this! The bitterness is rather smooth and the hops really provide depth to the malt character of this beer. It's not a hop bomb by any means, I am getting tropical flavors like lychee, some passion fruit, a bit of guava, even a hint of coconut. The pine presence in the aroma is not present at all in the taste. Enjoyable! (4.25)

F- For a double IPA, it's a bit thin and I was expecting a bigger head. But, it's definitely a smooth drinker! (3.75)

O- At first, I wanted to dislike this beer. But the more I drank of it, the more I liked it. I actually gave a bottle of this to my father for Father's Day and I am curious as to how he found it. (4)

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle from Bert's
Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a good sized frothy off white head that persists forever. Dank, pine, and green onion dominate the aroma on this one, with fleeting hints of citrus come and go. Malt aroma, well, I can't find any. The flavor is light on the malt again with a faint sweet breadiness to it. Huge hop flavor leans heavy on the earthy garlic and green onion side. I conjure up cracked pepper sour cream and onion potato chips for some reason. Mild hop bitterness is never harsh, lots of late hops here. Medium body with a light to moderate level of carbonation and a slick sweet resinous mouthfeel. Wow I'm impressed, that is a damn fine DIPA right there. Dank as all hell with lots of flavor. Recommended.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

From a 22oz bottle, undated (as best I can tell). Served in a nonic.

Pours a turbid, dark grapefruit colour with a scant finger of white suds. Excellent retention and a little lacing.

Smells sharp and sweet, melons, tropical fruits and white bread.

A quick impression of sweet breadiness and caramel is immediately obscured by a dopesmack of fruity bitterness; melon-infused bhong water, grapefruit pith and mango, with allspice and honey. Some mouth-coating sweetness returns on the backend and balances pleasantly with a little lightly lingering hop bitterness.

Feel is medium-to-heavy bodied, mouth coating and creamy, amply carbonated.

Overall, a highly serviceable, easy drinking big-boy beer from Henniker. It's gratifying to support a local brewery and be rewarded by seeing them getting better and better.

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

D.H. IPA from Henniker Brewing Co.