Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer | Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium BeerHaywards 5000 Super Premium Beer
2.72/5
Haywards 5000 Super Premium BeerHaywards 5000 Super Premium Beer

Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.
India
shawwallace.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Suds on 11-30-2002

4.32/5  rDev +58.8%

Light golden in appearance, Haywards 5000 has stark-white, soapy head that dissipates down to a small ring/surface of foam that retains its own throughout.

Although its hop aroma presence reminds me of Saint Pauli Girl or Becks, the barley malt notes remind me of Coors N.A. You get a basic balance of lightly toasted, euro-like malt, and a noticeable hop presence, sort of floral and sweet I'd say.

The taste is much like the aroma: lightly toasted barley malt, a slight sweetness, and the small bite of hops and carbonation at the end. Although the aroma is slightly floral with the hops, there isn't much of that in the taste, although there is a slightness of a taste note I can't quite put my finger on. Not offensive at all, though. And I also detect no adjuncts in the taste or aroma whatsoever. This sort of reminds me of a euro pale lager, even though BeerAdvocate classifies it as a malt liquor.

P.S.
I detect no alcohol in the aroma or flavor, keeping the high(er) ABV in mind.

The finish is crisp, dry, and refreshing.

This is what a lager should smell and taste like. Buy it. You'll like it.

4.25/5  rDev +56.3%

4.08/5  rDev +50%

Haywards 5000 has a thin, white head, a clear, yellow-gold appearance, tiny, white sediment specks, throughout, and some sheet lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of honey-topped white bread, green apple, white bread crust, malt, golden raisin, and rice pudding. Taste is of those elements, with sharp alcohol notes (think of V.S. brandy), some grain husk, honey, corn, and a touch of low-level, rounding hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium,and Haywards 5000 finishes crisp and enjoyable.

RJT

3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

3.36/5  rDev +23.5%

Appearance: Pours golden with nice carbonation, a nice thick white head that laces well.

Smell: Not much smell, typical macro.

Taste: Strange, but not bad. Sweet but not too sweet. It's the malt liquor taste that I notice.

This is an average beer but different enough (barely) from most macros to try. It's a session beer and nobody is going to love it, but it's alright. I'ts the best malt liquor beer I've ever had.

3.35/5  rDev +23.2%

Pours with a two-finger head that leaves a ton of lace. Very pale yellow color. Light carbonation. Nose is hay like in a barn. Starts and finishes sweet. Light bodied. So far my best beer from India but this is only the fourth. The label has this "manufactured" by Skol Breweries. $1.95 for a 330ml bottle.

3.29/5  rDev +21%

Even with an aggressive pour, not much of a head, mainly comprised of larger, quick to pop bubbles, no foam, white in color, minimal lacing left behind. Raw grainy nose, like unshucked corn, metal, iron notes without mineral water foundation to fall back on, some fuller bread notes, sour grapefruit rind, has a saline quality as well, nothing about it that jumps out as fruit, overall the smells don't piss you off, it just smells like generic "beer." Medium-bodied, broad-shouldered carbonation which lasts easily through the finish. Pretzels, sourdough, rye, more cooked than raw, if indistinguishable as elements, certainly makes it evident that this is a straight down the middle of the plate lager beer. Sour mixed white citrus, more iron flecks, an uptick in apricot to peach fruit, pits and skins, maybe fig. Due to the carbonation doesn't lose weight/palate presence through the finish. Old coriander powder. Without faulting it, or its place of origin, too much it falls exactly into line with expectations. You're in a cheap Indian restaurant scarfing down some vindaloo chicken and nan and this is the beer you drink there. No mystery, no failure to meet a certain threshold of quality. Great, no, contextually viable, absolutely.

3.29/5  rDev +21%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Sheryl said it best… "This looks boring." It does. It looks like any domestic I have ever had. I did have two cans of Coors Light yesterday, but I was playing golf. Yesterday was National Beer Day, or something like that. I got two badges on Untappd, so there must have been something going on.

Past hoppy beers, I am not sure what else comes from India. This is an Indian premium beer, but based on what I am smelling, as I pour, this is going to be pretty boring. Oh well, they can't all be good!

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic I have ever seen. Think Bud Light meets Coors Light meets Miller Lite. I wonder why they spell it like that… Anyway, the beer produced a thin white head, and there is no lace to speak of. I am sure, just based what I am seeing, this beer will be very drinkable and I am excited to chug it! If nothing else so we can move on to the next beer. Oh, it's cheap, too.

Nose: I could smell yeast as I was pouring it. It has a very obvious grain aroma to it. I get more of that when I smell the beer, and while I am not typically into this style, I have been on a Euro pale lager kick lately. I grabbed a few bombers of that style last week just to see what they all taste like. I spent too much time on the wrong side of the aisle at Total Wine & More.

Flavor: All things considered, this is not a terrible beer. It has a nice sweet flavor to start, and as the flavor explodes across the back of the tongue, you are hit with some severe carbonation. It does remind me of a Euro pale lager. I am curios why the style on this is "malt liquor", as that makes me think of hard lemonade, or something. Oh well, I am digging this flavor, and could see myself drinking a gallon of this on a hot summer day. I wish more golf courses carried a better selection. This IS better than a Coors Light.

Mouthfeel: There isn't much going on. It's thin and boring at first, and as you begin to swallow, a ton of bubbles rage on the back of your tongue. From there, the swallow is quick, boring, and leaves you wanting more. Beers like this are quite drinkable, and I can see them getting me into trouble! I wonder how readily available this is in India. I sure hope this isn't what people in India think of when thinking of craft beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste isn't bad. It has a nice subtle drying sweetness to it. Again, it reminds me of the Euro pale lager experience. (If you drink this, don't burp. You can thank me later!) I bet this beer would pair nicely with a hamburger or hot dog.

This beer IS boring, but the subtle sweetness keeps me drinking. I wouldn't order this again, but would like to see this on tap if and when we visit India. I also wonder where the 5000 comes from… maybe I will do a little digging. Cheers, people!

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer from Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.