Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer | Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium BeerHaywards 5000 Super Premium Beer
2.72/5
Haywards 5000 Super Premium BeerHaywards 5000 Super Premium Beer

Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.
India
shawwallace.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Suds on 11-30-2002

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

4.25/5  rDev +56.3%

2.25/5  rDev -17.3%

1.77/5  rDev -34.9%

Never heard of it. I was in Boulder, land of craft beer, so when the waiter at the restaurant mentioned it, I thought, hmm... yet another local beer. Didn't register: Indian restaurant, import beer, crappy malt liquor.

Well it looked like a beer, right? This was awfully oxidized, leaving a sickly sweet aftertaste. It's only value was that it quenched a little bit of the power that came from the whole peppercorns and cardamom seeds I stumbled across as I ate the biryani. Avoid.

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

2.5/5  rDev -8.1%

1.5/5  rDev -44.9%

3.29/5  rDev +21%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Sheryl said it best… "This looks boring." It does. It looks like any domestic I have ever had. I did have two cans of Coors Light yesterday, but I was playing golf. Yesterday was National Beer Day, or something like that. I got two badges on Untappd, so there must have been something going on.

Past hoppy beers, I am not sure what else comes from India. This is an Indian premium beer, but based on what I am smelling, as I pour, this is going to be pretty boring. Oh well, they can't all be good!

In the Glass: The beer pours like any domestic I have ever seen. Think Bud Light meets Coors Light meets Miller Lite. I wonder why they spell it like that… Anyway, the beer produced a thin white head, and there is no lace to speak of. I am sure, just based what I am seeing, this beer will be very drinkable and I am excited to chug it! If nothing else so we can move on to the next beer. Oh, it's cheap, too.

Nose: I could smell yeast as I was pouring it. It has a very obvious grain aroma to it. I get more of that when I smell the beer, and while I am not typically into this style, I have been on a Euro pale lager kick lately. I grabbed a few bombers of that style last week just to see what they all taste like. I spent too much time on the wrong side of the aisle at Total Wine & More.

Flavor: All things considered, this is not a terrible beer. It has a nice sweet flavor to start, and as the flavor explodes across the back of the tongue, you are hit with some severe carbonation. It does remind me of a Euro pale lager. I am curios why the style on this is "malt liquor", as that makes me think of hard lemonade, or something. Oh well, I am digging this flavor, and could see myself drinking a gallon of this on a hot summer day. I wish more golf courses carried a better selection. This IS better than a Coors Light.

Mouthfeel: There isn't much going on. It's thin and boring at first, and as you begin to swallow, a ton of bubbles rage on the back of your tongue. From there, the swallow is quick, boring, and leaves you wanting more. Beers like this are quite drinkable, and I can see them getting me into trouble! I wonder how readily available this is in India. I sure hope this isn't what people in India think of when thinking of craft beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste isn't bad. It has a nice subtle drying sweetness to it. Again, it reminds me of the Euro pale lager experience. (If you drink this, don't burp. You can thank me later!) I bet this beer would pair nicely with a hamburger or hot dog.

This beer IS boring, but the subtle sweetness keeps me drinking. I wouldn't order this again, but would like to see this on tap if and when we visit India. I also wonder where the 5000 comes from… maybe I will do a little digging. Cheers, people!

2.49/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz bottle, no date.

super clear pale straw color. soapy bone-white head. smells of pale malt, grain, cracked corn, mild and clean. to style. taste is actually okay when cold. clean, but lingering off-putting after taste. but as it warm, it takes a turn to pretty bad. thin body and fizzy carbonation. appropriate.

bought this just to see what this beer was all about with the goofy name. weird that this Indian beer is basically and American Malt Liquor.

2.63/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Aroma is crisp, malty and a little fruity - typical, but at least OK. Pours a clear, rather wan yellow - not too good, but at least the white head is thick and somewhat persistent. Flavor is - not outstanding, but for a pale lager, a snip or two above average. Malty and fruity, satisfying. Texture has OK body and OK fizz. Overall, fair to middlin’. If not great, at least potable. Good for a party, or with a meal.

Haywards 5000 Super Premium Beer from Shaw Wallace & Company Ltd.