Jenlain Ambrée | Brasserie Duyck

duyck.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by jermar on 03-09-2002

4.72/5  rDev +25.9%

This beer is so underrated. Amber color , nice head, nice lace-just a fabulous unique beer. This is your Thanksgiving beer as I could see it pairing perfectly w/ Turkey, stuffing, crannberry, etc.Smell is so subtle and mild, there is some woody elements going on--this is a nice beer. Just take my advice and buy this shit if you have the opportunity.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Another great Belgian / French beer. Its got a dark yellow - golden color, a bit hazed with a champaign like head and carbonation. Aromas of wine, musk, grapes, pears, apples and earthyness. Mild sweetness of honey combined with tart lactic acids create crispness and complexity. Not as musky, earthy, or pungent as some other Biere de Gardes. Lighter notes make this beer a better drinker. Finishes dry, tart, and crisp. Light alcohol is woven into the tartness and fades nicely.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Peach colored with a nice full creamy light tan head, decent carbonation, and good lace. Spicy, yeasty, and fruity (prunes) aroma. Spicy malt flavors with a bit of orange fruitiness. Light-medium bodied and smotth with a dry spicy finish (anise and pepper).

Per BD website: With 7.5% alcohol by volume, this unpasteurized beer is made with 3 different types of malt produced from French barley, and 3 varieties of hops grown in Alsace. It is the torrefied malt that gives it its attractive amber glow and many-hued aroma.

Per M.J.-U.B. book: 6.5 % ABV

Per B.O.M. notes: 6% ABV

Best By: 01/2006 (lasered)
Tasted: 07/09/05

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

11.2 oz. bottle, the first time I've seen it in this format...

Clear, crimson coloring, intense carbonation, rocky, creamy, off-white head that stays a long, long time...

Aroma, sweet and rosy, fruits aplenty, the darker ones, grapes, berry, melon...

Taste: nice bit of hops up front, bold and bright, more brisk fruit shining through...refreshing and flavorful. Medium bodied, with a gentle, fruity, hoppy finish. Nice play on the mouth, this gives much and takes little, offers rewards with each new sip.

There are better biere de gardes, but once this is in my mouth, I find it hard to complain about a lack of transcendence in my glass...nice beer, 'nuff said.

2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

I found a bottle of this in Moscow's premiere foreign supermarket, which does produce some odd beer products occasionally. Interesting 33cl aluminum bottle with grey and silver color and a big red J above the name. Ingredients include absinthe, a fact emphasized on the front label. Otherwise, the beer is purity law compliant. Best before January 2006, I opened it on 5/22/05.

Pours a clear but quite bubbly gold under a one finger snow white head that lingers for a bit before settling to film and collar. Only a couple drops of lace cling to the glass. Sweet fruity nose, very strong of spice and raspberry. The mouth is very light, with subdued carbonation. Very sweet taste, with light fruit dominating. The spice is also sweet, adding to the natural sweetness of the wheat. No noticeable hops. The finish is sugary, while the aftertaste reminds a bit of a raspberry frozen popsicle. Not for me, thanks.

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours an orangeish-red with a nicely sized head that disappears rather quickly.

Aroma shows some slight citrus fruits as well as some sweet apples as well as some light caramel and honey.

Medium body, light carbonation. Some nice fruit flavors start off, especially apple and blend with a bit of honey flavor. Some grassy flavors show up as well, but not especially powerful. A flavor I would describe as "sweet bread" shows up in the middle along with hints of spices. The finish shows off some nice herbal flavors, really just a lot of nice flavors here.

Fine beer, nice way to end a week. My first biere de garde, methinks I need more.

3.61/5  rDev -3.7%

Deep amber pour with a frothy nice two finger white head on top. Hints of red coming through from the light. Nice. Sweet and sour mashed grain mixed with light fruitiness..hints of apple, pear and lemon. A bit underwhelming overall.

First sip brings a sweet and sour maltiness that has notes of fruits and some hints of figs. Quite sweet on the way down with some spiciness and lots of fruity character. An interesting farmhouse ale.

Creamy, medium bodied mouthfeel....goes down smooth. A tasty brew overall...but it's not something I'd drink regularly...nice for a change of pace. The sweetness gets to be a bit much by the end of the bottle.

3.91/5  rDev +4.3%

Paid $2.50 for this 12 ouncer.
Pours a cloudy brown with amber tones and an inch of white suds on top. Smells a bit sweet, like toffee, no detectable hop presence.
Feels medium bodied and is moderately carbonated.
The malts used for this biere de garde lend a sweet taste, and the finish lingers with a bit of caramel flavor. Drinkability is good, I'm not overwhelmed in the ABV area or with palette destroying flavors.

3.6/5  rDev -4%

Pours a bright clear copper penny red-brown with a light tan modest head.

Smell is nice with a sweeter fig/date characteristic with dried fruits and brown sugar. Rather sweet smelling.

Taste is a bit too sweet for my liking. More of the sweet date characteristic with some bitter orange mixed in. Ends with a nice bittering.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side and the carbonation bites a bit too much for my liking.

I'll try this with food next time to see how it works.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

A coppery red to orange caste to this biere de garde. The aromas are of fruit tea, raspberry, liquer-ish (not licorice) with a hint of an herbal hops prescence. The taste is smooth buttery malt with the aforementioned fruit character and a nice balance between the malt and the hops. A dry finish, very satisfying, great with just about any meal I can think of.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Clear, reddish caramel color. Carb-rich, melting, cream colored mousse.
Aromas of ripe, broiled grains and crisp, detergent-toned hops. Generous mouthful of soft red fruits and spiced pie crust. Low acid. Moderately bitter -- mostly from husk and roast.
This is not far from the beer mainstream. Yet it has more character and durability than bona fide mainstream styles that saturate the market. Not cerebral. Get some to enjoy with plates of steamed sausages or liverwurst sandwiches and kraut.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

Small 11.2 oz bottle from a four pack...clear light brown with an orangey-red caste to it, bright and luminous. Whitish head rises above 1/4 of an inch and has average staying power. Simple lacing but a nice spread across the glass. Aroma is spicey, verging on metallic and with ample citrus qualities. Medium body, less carbonation than in some Biere de Gardes. Begins malty, biscuity and sugary lemon bars with powdered sugar frosting, some sweet apple pie. Makes a nod toward drying mid mouth and finishes with some yeasty tones and a very subtle hop. Could tighten up even more for me, the aroma had me thinking a dryer finish was in store. Still, this is a creamy and quaffable brew.

3.51/5  rDev -6.4%

A smooth easy drink. Strongly carbonated, refreshing. Like an amber with a purposeful off taste, some nuts, citrus, corriander, parsley salt,carrot, and malt. Different and it works. Good thing Volo Caffe held on to an LCBO bottle from a couple years back, although I think that took away from aroma.

3.45/5  rDev -8%

Received this in a 10 pack Beers of the World gift pack so I had no real expectations when trying this one out. Noticed a good review in Michale Jackson's beer guide and feel not too far off. Enjoy the vanilla smell and after taste. Hard to judge its appearance since I'm not sure what a Biere de Garde is but it poured a nice head and solid lacing. Color of a copper unfiltered wheat. Will not seek this out specifically but it's worth a try.

3.42/5  rDev -8.8%

750ml Green bottle, no freshness date.

Pours out a dark golden honey color, with a very short lived head.
Looks barlywineish.

Aroma is fresh hay, green apples, some spices, a little yeast.

Flavor was sweet, apples, grass, honey, with a slight lingeing bitternes hiding in the background.

Interesting beer, I bought this at a liquor store in downtown Chandler, an area that pobably moves 1000 cases of old-e to one bottle of this, so who knows how long it has been on the shelf.
I'll look for it at my regular store, and sample it again.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

Reminds me a bit of Fat Tire or any assortment of amber ales or red lagers in its reddish color and its earthy, cakey, and honey, yet plebian aromas. And that's not meant to be an insult. This crystal clear amber-ish brew is clearly well-crafted.

Simple but impactful flavors begin with some honey-ish malts and doughy feel. This is a total conversion beer. It's got some luxurious qualities to it with a slightly spicy mid-palate, but this is driven by crisp, simple taste.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle stamped with a best-by date of 03/2005. Poured into my Duvel tulip a dark amber hue with a nice, frothy 1-inch head. Good carbonation. Aroma of Belgian yeast, sweet malt, and light fruit. Mouthfeel is nice and sturdy, not too thick, not too thin. Palate is very fruity, with essence of peach and grapes, sweet malt, and light floral hops. Yeastiness comes through towards the back of the mouth, along with a bready character. Slightly bitter aftertaste is a bit unpleasant and keeps this from being a more drinkable beer.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to merlin48 for bringing this beer my way. It pours a light amber color with a small head that dies off fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is reminescent of hay with some malts and a little hop. The flavor reminds me of a farm a bit. Caramel flavor with a bit of hay and dirt. Not bad, just not my style.

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

This beer comes to my lips through two BA's. Thanks to merlin48 for sharing this with clvand0 who is sharing it with me. The beer pours a amber golden color with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is lemony with a touch of biscuit in there, I think. The flavor is odd. I get some biscuit maly, somce lemony tartness and a decent bitter on the finish. I don't know about this one. Its not bad, but its weird. The feel is light to moderate, with a nice carbonation on it. Drinkability sufferes from the flavor that I just don't like all that much. Don't get me wrony...this is not a bad beer, but its not something I would have again.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

A clean effervesent dark amber ale with a foamy off white head. A slightly sweet malt aroma with a very strong sour apple and cinnamon presence. The light malt sweetness starts out the taste. Followed quickly by aburst of carbonation that brings an appley flavor along with it and a spicey hop finish.

3.97/5  rDev +5.9%

A clear amber brew with a short, foamy head. Didn't last too long, but left some moderate lacing.

The aroma was of ligher-bodied malts, and crisp aromatic hops. The hop character was quite nice.

The taste was bitter, tart, and an aftertaste that was somewhat spicy with touches of black pepper and cinnamon. A bit of fruitiness crept in as the spiciness began to fade.

Overall, a pretty good beer, of a style that is not easy to come by in my area.

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Amber in color with a creamy, thin white head. Soft, barely detectible aroma with faint hay elements.

Crisp and very dry, leaving fuzziness on the tongue. Total hay and farmhouse in the taste with a touch of sweetness. Bubbles on the tip of the tongue, goes down easy.

Easy drinking and a nice change of pace. Really crisp.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

This is a new style for me, and it took a couple of bottles to get a handle on its character.
The pour is a clear, actively carbonated, copperish gold body with a two finger, bone ivory head that is tightly knit, retains well, and leaves some small chains of lace.
Aroma is restrained, with a perfume hop character and mild, swwetish caramel malt.
Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, with a soft, medium body.
The floral and herbal hops produce a mildly bitter and perfumey taste, akin to sipping a carbonated, lilac tea that is carbonated. Alcohol is a minor player.
I like the style. It's refreshingly different. Light and mild, overall, and the floral hopping combines with the malt presence very well.

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

I honestly don't know where to start with this beer. This is my introduction to the style, and I'm neither over- nor under-whelmed by it. Can I simply be whelmed? I'd be down with that. Of course, I've had this bad boy in a can, in my fridge for going on four years now, and it's held up astonishingly well. Let me repeat: It's in a FREAKIN' CAN!!!, and all the flavors seem to be on. I'm no biere de garde expert, but I'm pretty damn certain I could tell a funky beer from a fresh beer (not to be confused with funky fresh beers which, like the elusive 5 rating, are hard to come by).

The color is outstanding, and if my wife could see it she'd say "Goddammit, THAT'S the color I want you to paint the kitchen!" and then I wouldn't be able to drink the rest of it until we got ourselves some swatches. However, she's not here so she'll just have to suck it up. It's this gorgeous, chill-hazed pumpkin color that has got me singing "Witches in the Pumpkinpatch" (doo doo doo, doo doo doo).

The head wasn't overpowering, but that was more due to my incredibly skillful pour (ok, I actually used both hands this time - what a world of difference) than the beer itself. The carbonation is slight, but persistent (meaning I've had it open and warming for going on fifteen minutes now, and the bubbles show no sign of resting).

The nose is very sweet, but not in an overpoweringly malty way. I still remember the first time I poured myself an EKU 28 and almost went into insulin shock. Yow. This is merely sweet, no hint of hop aroma, and this slightly spicy clove finish. Getting back to my whole 'Witches in the Pumpkinpatch" thing, I want to have this beer with pumpkin pie. I am soooo Charles Finkel.

The taste is somewhat hard to describe, as it isn't in my usual flavor palate. It's malty, but that aforementioned spicy clove finish helps balance that out. It's a finishing beer I would say, and not one you would normally choose to start the night off with. (Unless, apparently, you are a cheesemaker in the north of France. I am not said cheesemaker.) One thing that bothers me about overly malty beers is their tendency to linger on your tongue, and screw up all the flavors of anything else that may come along after (in this case, meatloaf. Not that the gentle flavors of meatloaf need any protecting from the "evils" of overly malty beer, but that's a different story altogether). This beer doesn't do that. The malts land on your tongue, introduce themselves, allow you to either welcome them in or kick them the hell out, and then they quietly fade to the background. It's an aggressively polite beer, that's what it is.

Mouthfeel is nice and robust. One of my biggest gripes in beer drinking is thin beer that can't decide if it wants to be noticed, or would really rather be ignored. This beer wants to be noticed, wants to meet and make nice, but doesn't want to overthrow the kingdom. Again, aggressively polite.

Drinkability is a bit harder for me to quantify. It's a fine beer, but I've only had half of it and feel like I've been hit by a tractor driven by Jose Bove on his way to tear down another McDonalds. Sacre bleu!

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%

The head starts off well but dissapates quickly. This is a amber-orange colored brew. It's also crystal clear. The lace is sparce but sticky.

Brown sugar and light molasses aromas featured here, almost like old fashioned candy. I suspect a sweet, crystal malt ladened flavor--not much balance here, no discernable hop.

Carmelized sugar is the featured aroma. If you've ever tried melted sugar from a sauce pan (cooled into a dark brown patty) then you'll get a sense of this flavor. I'm torn: I love unusual brews, but I don't like overly sweet ones. This is a treat, so I've given it a high taste rating, but I'm pulling back on the drinkability to reflect the coyingly sweet flavors that last throughout the aftertaste.

Obviously, this is a very rich beer. I would highly recommend this as an alternative to dessert. This could be featured as an apertif.

Jenlain Ambrée from Brasserie Duyck