Jenlain Blonde | Brasserie Duyck

duyck.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by brakspear on 11-02-2002

3.26/5  rDev -0.3%

Beautiful golden color with over 6 fingers of thick and fluffy head with great retention and leaving lots of laces. Apparent carbonation and with floating particles at the bottom of the bottle.
It has a light tartness to its aroma with notes of lemon and a hint of horse blanket. I wasn’t expecting this last one.
Sweet flavor with hints of oranges, tea leaves, champagne, pear soaked in alcohol and green apples.
Medium body with good carbonation and a citrus acid feeling.
It is a mix of a Tripel, Sour and a bit of Belgian IPA. Worth a try, not sure I would have this again.

3.59/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Quick review: saw the bad reviews on this, so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it and it was somewhat floral and pretty smooth and light.

I had a bottle that was somewhat aged, so I don't know if that somehow affected the flavors. Served in a tulip glass, garnished with an orange. A little too sweet if I had one criticism, with the cloying floral notes often present in a cheaper Belgian style Trippel. Nice mouthfeel, a little on the smaller side.

BOTTOM LINE: I probably wouldn't get this again because there are better beers for the price, but I would get it again for about $5 per 750ml. Nothing really special about it.

3.43/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a lightly hazy light to medium golden yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some deep golden yellow + light orange highlights. The beer has a half finger tall sudsy white head that quickly reduces to a mottled very thin film that covers about 75% of the surface of the beer and a thin ring of medium sized bubbles at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of carbonation are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of sweet malts, sweet light fruits (apple and a touch of grape), and just a light hint of spices.

T: Upfront there are light to moderate flavors of sweet grainy malts with moderate flavors of sweet light fruits (apples dominate). Very light hints of herbal hops and a touch of spices. Minimal amounts of bitterness which fade quickly are observed.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Hints of dryness in the finish.

O: I remember drinking this beer way back in the mid-1990s when this was a very interesting beer but unfortunately it did not stand the test of time for me, the industry has moved on but these guys have not changed in the least.

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%

On-tap at La Bonne Soupe in Manhattan, NY on 30 December 2012. Can't remember having a French beer before.

Pours a medium-pale golden yellow, clear. One finger of white head, decent retention and find lacing. Some visible carbonation, but I'd like more.

Smell is warm and smooth, in that characteristic inoffensive (not the right word?) way that Belgian blondes typically are. Belgian yeast brings a touch of spice, and a light drift of crisp hops bookends it.

Taste is buttery, rounded, pretty much what I was expecting. I remember a time when beers like this wowed me with their unique flavor (Leffe Blond comes to mind), but now that I'm familiar with it, I want more from this. A fade to bitter in the finish, but that's only 20% of it. The rest is dominated by that malt-yeast-forward blooming richness.

Mouthfeel is okay. Medium-bodied, kinda ballooning, but under-carbonated. Definitely undercarbonated. Not flat, but flatter than it should be.

A fine beer, and definitely in the Belgian blonde wheelhouse. I could drink more of this; main complaint is the lack of carbonation. I see it's listed here as a biere de garde, but that's not how it strikes me.

4.36/5  rDev +33.3%

First of all the bottle I'm drinking is teen years old. With that said here we go.

Appearance: exactly what you would expect from a blonde. Light golden in color.
Aroma: sweet smelling, with a touch of menthol.
Flavor: light, crisp, slight wheat type characteristics with a touch of mint, which I'm guessing is from age.
Mouth feel: medium bodied, sweet, effervescent.

All in all not bad for being teen years old.

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%