Saint Druon De Sebourg (French Abbey Ale) | Brasserie Duyck

poor
Read the review
Saint Druon De Sebourg (French Abbey Ale)Saint Druon De Sebourg (French Abbey Ale)

Brasserie Duyck
France
duyck.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by ipogios on 12-08-2002

3.4
15%

Reviews: 94 | Ratings: 107

Pours a hazy blond with a very good off-white head w/fair retention and mild lacing. Essences of yeast/grains and a slight fruitiness,(the graininess increases noticeably with an increase in temperature. Has a hoppier taste than most blonds, with a light tart/bitterness. Mouth feel is quite good, and the finnish is clean with a mild yet not unpleasant after taste. Not the best blond ale ever brewed and certainly far from the worst. One of those beers that I wouldn't go out of my way to get , but if I'm visiting you and you bring one out I'll not complain!

2.46/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Presentation: 750ml green glass bottle which has neck and main labels that look exactly as those on pictured on the BA Database avatar. Thumbed cork has the Brewery logo and the code I-5 on it, this in held in place with a wire cage a gold colored steel cap which has the word ‘Brasserie Duyck Depuis 1922’ on it. Single main obverse label has the words ‘St Druon De Sebourg’ underneath a picture of said chap, the words ‘French Abbey Ale’ below and ‘Biere Blonde’ on the neck hint at the style. Listed at 6.0% Alc./Vol. Inkjet date on the label shows that this was bottled 10/2006.

Appearance: Light golden body with a healthy but scattered body of streamers. Soft white head lingers around for the duration but is never more than a thin covering once rested. Half decent lacing tends to scatter and thin though. Healthy conditioning tends to bolster the fading head with the gentlest swirl. Girl next door looks wane a bit too quickly to make it anything special.

Nose: Has light, but reasonably sharp hop faintness lost deep in the background. Angulated bitterness with old, aged musty hop tones and some sweet pale malts. The malts win through and convince me that I never really got the hops, or did I? Exhibits a shallow country aroma that reminds me of boiled potatoes. Pretty much hard to say anything good here, this really does come off like a thousand other “Pilsner” lagers that fill the Northern European hemisphere. Dreary stuff.

Taste: A passive brew that portrays a rather metallic edge inset with some redeeming Biere De Garde and Belgium Pale Ale features, but these are way too weak and laid back to do anything except question my own belief that this is nonetheless a very average brew. Sadly the effort from the ‘good bits’ is far from enough to outweigh the dulcet, uninspiring and tedious input from the Euro Lager side of the camp. No real hop presence except for unbalanced aluminum bitterness, the stainless steel malts and sweetness seal the fate of this one.

Mouthfeel: The body is mild, not quite weak, it isn’t that bad, but by now the flaccid tastes and “average-ness” have slapped me about quite a bit. I’m reeling from the tedium of this brew and the Mouthfeel doesn’t do anything to help this jaded Limey muster anything other than a rather American “whatever!?!”

Drinkability: Apathetic to say the least. I think I’m not that bothered about this one but I can’t be arsed to even make up my mind either way….I’m already wondering about the other beers in my fridge that will hopefully finish the night off with a more appreciative ending.

Overall: Surprisingly average and shockingly boring, Duck can and do much better than this.…..it’s that good that I’m off to the fridge for a tastier brew and to listen to England loose the Second Test Match of the Ashes instead of finishing this bottle.

Scores a “mighty yawn” on the boredom radar which, by the way, belies its selling price. Stick to the regular Jenlain for the money.

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%

BB 3-7-2007. Snowwhite and lasing head and pale golden clear beer. Nose is very poorly aromated and doesn't give more then bit of worty pale maltyness and comes to me as a lagerbeer instead of ale. Taste also far from rich and is mostly malty and wortlike, poorly bittered and oxidised. No IMO far from abbeystyle and suited as macro lager; even 6% not noticable. Drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev +22.1%

Med-light gold in color with orange hints. The head is moderately-sized, almost pure white. The aromas are delicate, fruity, floral, and honey-sweet. Faint spicy phenols as well. Flavors include delicate malt with a mild balancing bitterness. There's a little bit of honey-like sweetness but things dry out in the finish. Subdued citrusy notes feature in the aftertaste.

For all of its subtleties, there's not much "interference" in this beer, thereby giving it an easy drinkability. The 6% ABV, despite this ale's mostly delicate nature, isn't too pushy.

This is a pretty good beer worth picking up should you happen across it.

I wouldn't call this a Belgian Pale Ale -- it's closer to a Belgian Blond Ale. The French do brew this style, and wouldn't you know, they call it "Blonde" beer, just as Brasserie Duyck does on the label of St. Druon.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

$1.67 12 oz bottle
Cloverleaf Fine Wine & Spirits
Southfield, MI

There's a Jihadist fair weather cloud at the head of this amber mellow fruit and a champagnesque rainfall beneath. Seeing as it's from France it's more than appropriate that's it poured into and pictured in a Budweiser glass. Pffft! The king of beer meets the biere de merde. I had worse things to say in jest but refrained due to readership problemo potential plus I didn't really mean it. Typical hefe-weizen flavors but lighter and more malty and with a fruity essence that is pleasing enough. I quaffed, I peed, I kissed $1.67 goodbyeeee.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy light golden color with a fluffy white head that declines to a persistent ringlet and leaves a few shards and dots of lace around the perimeter of the glass

Smell: Yeasty, spicy aroma with hints of noble hops and wood as well as a distinct whiff of DMS

Taste: Starts out with a slightly lemony, wheaty flavor that has a subtle apple sweetness to it; mid-palate, a perfumy element emerges; after the swallow, some grassy noble hops poke through to join the fray

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I suspect some bad bottles are going around BA for this beer - this was bottled in Jan of 06 and has a very interesting character; I enjoyed the subtle sweet and spice character and the complex interplay between the two as the beer warmed; a bit of a cross between a pilsner and a Belgian Pale

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Bright lemony amber with a light dusting of fine yeast. The head is alabaster in color, large in size and is heaped with fine, glassine bubbles. It isn't nearly as rocky as the best Belgians, but still has a wonderfully disheveled look. Delicate curlicues of lace end up on the glass even though they're a bit too melty to last.

I like the nose. Noble hops are the focal point with the grassy and spicy facets of their personality leading the way. A moderate amount of Belgian yeastiness, complete with a sprinking of ground clove, keeps things true to style.

St. Druon isn't what I expected at all. Rather than being hoppy, spicy and dry, it's sweet and only mildly spicy. I'm not sure what went wrong, but the flavor profile is a mismatched mishmash that doesn't add up to anything all that worthwhile. The pale malty sweetness is especially out of place and tastes as if saccharine was used rather than candi sugar.

The spiciness is musty and bland rather than bold and bracing and the yeast tastes like it's seen better days. Despite what my nose led me to believe, hops really aren't a major contributor, either in terms of flavor or bitterness. The beer manages to retain an acceptable degree of poise and is drinkable, but I have no desire to drink another bottle.

The body/mouthfeel is on the leaden side. It doesn't rise much above medium, but feels dull rather than brisk due to a curious lack of carbonation. A more impressive mouthfeel would have done wonders for this beer.

Other than its appearance and its aroma, St. Druon De Sebourg is a failure of a Belgian pale ale. I was disappointed in the only other Brasserie Duyck beer that I've had, so this one wasn't a complete surprise. I like the packaging, but don't much care for what's inside. Unfortunately, this Saint is something less than heavenly.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Cloudy golden color with a white, bubbly head and lacing. That's where most of the good of this beer ends. Smell is sour- way, way too sour. Overboard lemon sour. Almost brought tears to my eyes. Taste was odd- applesaucey. Sweet, but rotted sweet. Just off. Mouthfeel was bubbly but was quite heavy, too heavy. Meh, won't grab this again.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

750ml bottle. Date of bottling and batch ink printed on the label (03/2005, L4077, 07:25)

Appearance - Amber/pale straw yellow in color, clear in presentation. An ample head forms when poured into a pilsner glass. Head retained for about 5 min, then faided to a small presence. Ample lacing retained on the glass when a small carbonation maintaining this head.

Smell - A bright hoppy aroma is present. A bit of a sour yeast smell as well.

Taste - A very light taste of apple with a bit of a spice taste. Interesting hops presence with a seemingly citrus lingering taste.

Mouthfeel - Since this is a belgian pale ale, I really didn't anticipate much of a depth to the beer. I can't say I was dissappointed, but it really didn't fill my mouth.

Drinkability - Purchasing this in a 750ml bottle did give me ample time to think about this beer. I would buy this again, given the fact that it appeared to give a fair to moderate representation of the style.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%

750 ml caged and corked had for $5.49 @ DeCicco Market, Ardsley NY

eyes...
almost 2 fingers of bright white head, very active carbonation, tornadoes of bubbles twist and turn up and about, pale golden hue, the head settles down nicely but retention is very good, the lacing is great (small packed white bubbles left in a sheet)

nose...
lemony grass... almost saison like, almost sniffs like some euro pils or czech pils I have had, nothing outstanding.. pretty straight forward.

taste etc...
crisp and biting with the carbonation, a little doughy flavor on the back of the tongue in the finish, there are some bitter notes as well, there is also some subtle bannana notes... honestly I am digging this one, I read some other reviews and it doesn't seem to be a real popular brew. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the bottle size or what.. ? This sort of drinks more like some helles bocks than a Beligian PA.. but I am not going to take off points for that.

verdict?
a nice drinking brew. the nice crisp refreshness is refreshing which is refreshing in a refreshing way... it has enough character to be interesting but yet is rather drinkable. and the price is pretty easy on the wallet.

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%

Purchased as a single at Bubbles in Gladstone, MO. It has a 07/2005 date on it, which I think is the born on date, I honestly hope it's not the best by date.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Golden, hazy orange color. Foamy head about a finger thick. Recedes to a medium/light lacing. Smell is of oranges and coriander. Sweet with a bit of spice. Taste is like orange juice with floral spices added. Very pleasant. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Balanced carbonation. I'm pretty impressed, I think I may get a six pack of these next time.

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Wasn't sure what to expect here as my experiences with French beer have been all over the place.
Pours yellow, clear with a thin film for a head.
Smell is mostly grape, apple and malt.
Taste is nice and fruity, with grape, apple, malt and hops (late) all showing up to the party.
A light body makes this drinkable all year but I didn't find it all that great, maybe I'll try another at a later date and re-review.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to bditty187 for an unexpected sample...

While looking at the bottle I'm reminded of a time about ten years ago when, on a whim, I bought a bottle of a french beer at a bar with an English friend. He scolded me quite heavily as, "The French don't make good beer!". I have no clue what that beer was to this day, but possibly by the power of suggestion I didn't enjoy it. So onto this one...

Light/Hazy/Yellow in appearance. It is a nice looking beer with big bubbles that never seem to go away. This beer looks good.

Aroma is hard to pin down. There is a bright sweetness that reeks of citrus and mint, but somehow shifts to a slight rubber nose. A tad spicy and hinting at vanilla.

A nice, smooth mouthfeel... touch of bubbles. Sweet and malty... somewhat hoppy on first drink, but not recognizable after. Reminds me at times of a Miller Lite... strange, yet tasty. Apple Juice. Aftertaste is akin to High Life/Pabst... give me one of these on a hot summer night and I'd be content.

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

A not so hot example of a style interpretation that I don't care for... like Lunacy or Maudite.... tastes like molasses mixed with apple sauce or some such. Very watery mouthfeel... overly sweet and malty, not nearly dry or spicy enough to my taste for the style. Not really a bad beer but not my thing and even so not a fine example of a style that's not my thing.

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%

Clear, amber-gold in hue, the liquid really looks ordinary. (The second pour held all the sediment, the liquid got cloudy at this point.) Fluffy white head, at the apex the foam was three fingers tall and it didn’t allow me to pour all the beer into the glass. Head retention was excellent, as the head slowly faded tattered wallpaper began to appear on the side of the glass. I absolutely love that! A small cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was great, very widespread. I can’t say enough for the loveliness of the appearance.

The nose starts of airy with hints of marshmallows and a faint, grainy spiciness. I adore this aroma. In the middle, herbs and apple notes develop as does some grass, wood, and veggies. The first time I tried this beer, I didn’t care for the Saaz hop/DMS aroma. I found it much softer this time around and I like it. Moderate potency in the nose, while not too chatty I do like what it is saying. I will say the nose is more Euro-lager like then French/Belgian Ale-like. It is inviting, nevertheless.

The first third of the palate is dry, clean, with some biting, earthy-spicy hops. Hops rule the start. The malt is crisp and brittle, almost Pilsner-like. At this point, this beer is very lager-like. The last third, before the swallow, it turns ale-like with apples, spicy alcohol, herbs, clove, grass, plus some minimal malt sweetness. The aftertaste is sweet with an herbal, spicy underbelly, apples too. All in all, the palate is kind of simplistic but I found it agreeable. Too clean for “the style;” even when I poured the yeast it the palate didn’t get much dirtier so to speak. The aftertaste was enhanced; it’s sweeter with some more herbal notes. I think the yeast in the glass adds to this beer nicely.

Zippy carbonation, medium/medium-light in body, the mouthfeel fits this beer very well. At 6% abv, this is not a session beer but the hidden abv in the taste and the “easy” mouthfeel is doing its best to convince me to drink more at one setting then I should…

This is to say, I found it drinkable. This was a totally random purchase; I was really hoping that “French Abbey Ale” would mean Biere de Garde. For $9 a four-pack I was a bit disappointed. I can’t win them all. Even though I liked this beer I don’t know when I’d drink it again. It is too pricy and there are “better” beers that are similar to this yet, I bet, I buy it again at some point. I have no idea why this beer is jiving with me… to each is own, I guess. I purchased it in Council Bluffs, IA. Solid.

2.55/5  rDev -25%

11.2 oz bottle. Bottled 03/2005.

Ridiculously overpriced. I spent $2.59 on one of these because the sixers were $14/each. Do these French brewers really think it merits that price? wow..unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, stay away from this one. ..and even then, there are better ways to spend your money.

Hazy straw yellow. Smells of yeast and a bit of euroskunk thrown in there for good measure. The tastes are grassy with a bit of spices as well..certainly nothing too incredible, and actually a bit bland. Somewhat crisp finish and thinnish mouthfeel. It's trying to be a Belgian of some sort..either a blonde or a tripel, but it hits neither styles. It's got one thing going for it...it's easily forgettable.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

750ml green bottle. Corked and caged. Very slight hiss as cork is popped.

Pours out a golden yellow with a good size white head that seems to last. A good amount of bubbles make there way to the top. The smell is exactly what I would expect from this style. Malt, hay and some grassy notes.

Taste seems thick in the mouth. Sweet with hints of apples and pears in the beginning. Gives way to the grassy hop notes in the end. A bit on the sweet side. I wish it was a tad drier.

Overall seems balanced and flavorful. One of my favorite styles for their subtle flavors. This I would call an "average" one. But what the heck do I know?

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

A good example of a simple yet well made Belgian Pale Ale. Poured out to a slightly hazy golden color with high carbonation. A foamy white head left rings of lace around the inside of the glass. Aromas of malt and yeast dominated, with notes of sweetness and citrus. Flavor was good; malt, sweetbread, grain and earthy notes of grass and hops. Mouthfeel was good enough, but nothing special. A good level of drinkability, I could have several of these with ease. This is an entry level beer to initiate BMC drinkers to the world of better beer. Outside of that, it's not ground breaking. A good beer to keep on hand. Recommended.

UPDATE: 03/04/2006 Same feelings and notes as previously, but thanks to Putman for a sample, I can honestly say this brew is better when not too cold, and with some food. I had a pastrami sandwich on rye, and, WOW. Nice companionship.

2.26/5  rDev -33.5%

Appearance- Slightly hazy pale gold... looks damn near like Duvel... with a two-finger fluffy crown that settles slowly. Great lacing down the sides of my Duvel tulip glass. Various size bubbles lie atop the foamy head.

Smell- Cut grass and some metal, with a floral hop note in the background. There is a sharpness to the nose, making this one a difficult one to take in.

Taste- An astringent blend of hops and grass, but the metallic aspect of this beer really is a detriment. Finishes harshly and out of balance.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slightly watery without much activity. This is the second French Belgian style ale I've tried, and both were letdowns. Imagine the metallic "skunk" qualities of your Euro lagers, add a little grassiness, and boost the alcohol. The remaining 4 oz. in my glass went down the drain.

Not recommended.

3.09/5  rDev -9.1%

To say this looks like Duvel in the glass might just be the antithesis of heresy. But similar to the poured Devil, this is a mostly clear, sandy golden adorned with a explosive styrofoam buoy of white suds.
From here on out, it can barely pass for a minor evil enitity.

Aromatized of lumps of old-mown grass, flour, sulfur, and lemon rind.
First off, it forms a hay-like dryness, with whispers from both honey and pear. The middle is sweetened, leaning on spun sugar. Yeast nuance is nearly invisible, flounting minor pastry dough hues. Extis with a wiff of sulfuric lemon cleanser hops.
A fluffy, folded medium body, rushed with bubbles, is promising up front, but that dissolves into a stagnant hefty Euro-lager feel.
Not awful, just unfufilling. And even moreso as it warms.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Clear bright light yellow with a nice full white head and light low carbonation. Light flowery hoppy, yeasty, and plastic aromas. Nice balanced yeasty, spicy, hoppy flavors. Certainly does not seem like 6%. Light bodied and a tad too light for the strength.

Hate to admit anything French is decent but this one is ok.

Per Label: Anno 1118 & Anno 1186 (seems as if the French couldn't make up their minds :-)

Per BD website: Malted barley and 3 varieties of hops grown in Alsace form the basis of this recipe, which, unlike Duyck's other beers, also contains wheat from the Beauce region of France, milled in the traditional way by Sebourg's miller. And to give it an even more distinctive flavour, the Duyck's use a specific strain of yeast exclusive to the beer.

Best By: 01/2006 (lasered)
Tasted: 06/30/05

(11.2 oz.)

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Stumbled onto this beer at a local Belgian Pub in Philadelphia. The bartender didn't know much about it and it was the first I'd heard of it.

It pours well with a strong head that slowly fades without much residual top. Carbonation doesn't maintain much froth. Color is pleasing, but not distinguishable.

I was surprised by he general lack of aroma, but potent yeast flavor resembling sour beers. The crispness is refreshing but doesn't invite continued drinking despite being presented as a session beer. Nice fruitiness and clean finish, but certainly doesn't match a true Belgian.

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%

bright orange pour with sparse floaters and thin lace. nose is metallic and tart, like iced tea. not much there, some detectable honey and malt. taste is belgian gold all the way. honey and floral notes prevail, and aftertaste is full of green apple.. this brings a natural sweetness that strangely complements an already sweet beer. very drinkable and light for its abv. best described as a belgian session beer, but very average for being the hard-to-find import that it is.

2.96/5  rDev -12.9%

Purchased as a single from Premier Gourmet in Buffalo, there is no bottle date on this 12oz. bottle..

Appearance: Poured into my Chimay chalice, it has a clean white head about 2 inches. The pale golden body is filtered.

Smell: this one is not very aromatic, what I do detect is some apple and medicinal phenol aromas..

Taste: fthe first taste is a sweetness; mostly the malt supplemented by some apple. After each sip, the quality that strikes me most is the clean taste. A faint taste of grass too.

Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation, clean taste yields a clean feel too. It is missing the familiar Belgian yeast presence.

Drinkability: I like to think this would be a good Belgian pale ale for multiple glasses, it is refreshing. But it does lack a certain complexity that the better Belgian ales all have. I've tried three of the Brasserie Duyck beers now and they have been mostly mediocre.

2.19/5  rDev -35.6%

11.2 oz brown bottle (03/2005 bottling date). Slightly hazy, bright golden topped with a thick white foamy head that sticks to the glass as it settles to an appealing lace. (yeast in the bottle)

Fairly clean aroma, some grassy hops and hay, but there’s this unpleasant light rubbery / medicinal phenol that pulls through.

Quite smooth and creamy on the palate, light-bodied with a hard water mouthfeel. Crisp with a sharp-ish green apple and lemony zest citric bite, and a tingling carbonation that amplifies. Light flavors / sweetness of juicy orange slices. Some raw honey. Lager-like, tinny, sour-ish ("skunky") herbal bite. Spicy phenols and a bit grassy around the edges. Touch of astringency. Yeasty in the finish, with notes of breadiness. Drying.

Eh. Tastes more like a Euro lager than an “blonde abbey ale,” but whatever. It’s barely interesting, unbalanced, and many of the characteristics appear out of place.

Saint Druon De Sebourg (French Abbey Ale) from Brasserie Duyck