Schnickelfritz | Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub

Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub
Pennsylvania, United States
sauconycreekbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.

Added by Knapp85 on 10-20-2013

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Grabbed a 4pk and reviewing based on the first two tries. Pours jet black with a nice tan head that fads quick and leaves little if any lacing.

The smell is sweet chocolate with a hint of cherry. Instantly I expected this to be a sweet dessert beer. I really enjoy smelling this one.

The taste is very sweet and chocolatly. Kind of reminds me of hot chocolate but in a beer. The cherry is very subtle but adds to a very nice finish.

This is pretty smooth, maybe a little thin but I actually think this works for this beer. It's a nice drinking beer that goes down easy.

Overall, I really enjoy this beer. I'm reviewing it as a dessert beer, and if you think of it this way it is a top notch beer.

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

4.26/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle into tulip.

L. Dark brown to black with a finger head and light lacing.
S. Lots of malts on the nose and some nut, but not much else.
T. Tons going on, cherries and chocolate come forward with some vanilla. Light alcohol taste.
F. Lots of carbonation and medium mouth feel.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Philbe has the review nailed down accurately so I won't try to duplicate. However, I thought the whole was better than the sum of the parts and was very fond of the taste. I was afraid that the chocolate cherry would be a bit overly sweet as this is not my favorite thing to do to a milk stout but it was subtle enough to enhance and not be cloying It goes down deceptively easily for an 8.0 abv beer.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Sampled February 2014 from bottles in pint glass. This is the first time that I had drank this beer. I likes the beer and had a second.

Appearance: Medium/dark color with a nice tan head, and the head lasted a long time.

Smell: There are roasted malt aromas, along with some strong chocolate aromas. The chocolate gave a sweet smell, especially compared to other stouts.

Taste: Full-bodied with great balance of malt, hops, and chocolate. There is a sweet flavor due to the chocolate, but it has an excellent overall taste. The chocolate is more pronounced than other "chocolate" stouts I have tried.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, but very smooth. Very creamy.

Overall: Great stout. I enjoyed the multiple bottles that I drank, and I would buy this again.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

A unique balance of flavorings going on here.

Slightly sweet, but not bitter.

I actually prefer the smaller head on this stout.

The smell and mouthfeel are both excellent and the coloring and lacing are awesome.

Definitely a fan of Saucony Creek now.

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into snifter. The color is an opaque dark brown with a two finger tan head and lacing. It's a classic looking stout. The smell is dominated by cherry and chocolate with some nice maltiness. The initial taste is the tart cherry but the chocolate quickly dominates, followed by a slight bitterness. It's a nice combination. For a stout, it is highly carbonated and medium bodied. I prefer a chewier mouth feel. Overall, I enjoyed it. It's a very good example of a sweet stout and the tart cherry works well with the chocolate. I don't know why it doesn't rate more highly but I'm a stout guy and tend to rate stouts and porters higher than other styles. I'd now like to visit Saucony Creek Brewing and sample their other offerings. With Fegley's and Saucony Creek, the craft beer scene is look good in the Lehigh Valley!

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

I split a case of this with my brother Brian. Pouring a cellar temp bottle into a snifter.
I pour aggressively and get a minimal beige head that is a sturdy edge layer only almost immediately after I sit down my bottle.
Aroma is rich and kind of sweet, I get chocolate and cherry, almost like a cordial, plus a little vanilla and brown sugar too. No real booze or hops on the nose that I pick up this is a sweet malty brew on the nose.
First sip reveals a silky textured smooth beer that has mild carbonation that effortlessly rolls across my palate.
Flavor is less sweet than the nose predicted but is still nice milk chocolate and a bit of cherry flavor, not sweet cherry though like ice cream or candy. Actually almost like a cherry that isnt quite ripe. A little bitey booze is present on the finish, but otherwise this beer is vvery drinkable and enjoyable. Probably would be perfect on a cold winter's evening but I also like it just fine after this frantic Saturday in September.

Schnickelfritz from Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub