Schnickelfritz | Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub

Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub
Pennsylvania, United States
sauconycreekbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.

Added by Knapp85 on 10-20-2013

Liked:
3.65/5
Alströms:

3.43/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Saucony Creek "Schnickelfritz"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.79 @ Total Wine & More, Claymont, DE

Appearance: Very dark brown body. Long-lasting creamy tan head. The body is clear because I can see chunks of heavy sediment at the bottom of glass, occasionally rising with a bubble only to break apart and fall back down - not too nice to look at, but at least it's a dark beer.

Aroma: Chocolatey with a hint of alcohol and fruit combined, but if you look further the cherry is easier to find - go ahead, give it a swirl.

Flavor: As might be expected. The cherry comes through clearly but it's also a bit berry-like, or perhaps that's the yeast talkin'. Chocolatey. Not too malty, and certainly not too fruity. A solid bitterness backs it but you don't particularly notice it until the finish where some moderate dull hops appear (leafy, herbal). The alcohol is pretty well veiled at the start but begins to show about midway through as it warms a little. Still, it's not "hot".

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, but not thick, just beyond the "medium-full and dextrinous point". The carbonation is very fine-bubbled, and probably just under a median level of around 2.4 volumes CO2/liter. It's smooth with just enough bite.

Overall: Not a bad beer by any means, and the chocolate and cherry are pleasant, but I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer it as simply an Imperial Milk Stout". I'll definitely look for this in fall to add to my after-dinner sipper line-up.

2.55/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Wasn't a fan of this at all. The nose was offputting.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

3.01/5  rDev -17.5%

I had this at Brewhouse Grill in Camp Hill

Not sure what was going on with this beer...after reading more I discovered it is a cherry stout
it had tart and fruity flavors I don't expect
The color is deep brown like walnut shells with frothy almost nitro creamy looking head with good retention. The smell has a faint fruit and sour cherry aroma with very little in the way of malt or roasted grain, light sour odor. The feel is okay, moderately carbonated again a bit tart for th style with mild alcohol as it warms

The flavor is not bad, but the feel leads you one way and the flavor another - tart fruity flavor slight yeast taste with mild caramel notes and tangy from start to finish, no creaminess or real roasted flavor you would expect in a milk/sweet stout - not very sweet but alcohol is noticeable as it warms. overall I had finished this so I consider it passable for the style - it just doesn't seem like a traditional take, -it has a fruit taste that distracts from any stout character that supposedly it is based on -I would prefer a more solid less thin base if this is a milk stout with sour cherry fruit addition

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz bottle into a tulip appears dark brown with a khaki head that fades leaving patchy lace.

Aroma is raisony with a slight medicinal aspect and slight chocolate roast. There is a strange burnt herbal thing going on as well. As it breathes it has some licorice aspect.

Taste is earthen and roasty with plenty of fruity alcohol leading to a bit of a medicinal tang about it with a touch of black licorice, smoke and something thar reminds me of jaegermeister mixed with tobacco.

Medium in body with modest carbonation. This is strange and not at all what i was expecing based off the description. I dont meed to have this again.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This seems like it would be a good milk stout without the cherries. With it, there is an added level of sweetness that kicks it up just a wee bit too much. Regardless, it's still pretty smooth. Quite easy to drink. Very pleasant. I like it. Glad I was able to find this one.

3.36/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.22/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.69/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a nonic pint glass. The appearance was a fairly dark brown color with a slim finger’s worth of a film of a white head. Lacing quickly slides into the beer. The smell had a nice sweet to roasty blend of chocolate, coffee, light cherries and a light vanilla rounding out and tie-ing it up softly. The taste took all of those previously mentioned flavors to combine and give off a sweet sticky aftertaste leading to a sweet wet finish. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a pretty good sipping quality about it. Overall, I say this was a pretty good milk/sweet stout showing some nice nuances coming about. Definitely a dessert and can only imagine what it’s like fresh.

Schnickelfritz from Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub