Schnickelfritz | Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub

Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub
Pennsylvania, United States
sauconycreekbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Pennsylvania German’s translate “Schnickelfritz” to mean a Nix Nux, or a naughty rebellious child who is always getting into trouble. That sums up our family here at Saucony Creek, so in honor of our Pop-Pop’s chocolate covered cherry addiction during the winter months we brewed an Imperial Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. Schnickelfritz is brewed with dark caramel malts, chocolate malts and lactose to create a smooth creamy mouth feel. Milk chocolate and real cherries are added for a winter warmer treat.

Added by Knapp85 on 10-20-2013

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

The brew pours dark brown with an off white head. The aroma is roasted and coffee like with a hint of dark cherry. In the taste, roasted malt, coffee, cherry and lactose sugar with an added creaminess. Semi sweet but not cloying at all, slight hops and a big roast seem to curb that. Overall this is a nice beer that is easy to drink, good balance between the cherries and roasted notes. Full bodied, flavorful beer.

4.52/5  rDev +23.8%

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

It's a very good tasting porter. Silky and creamy from the lactate. Some sour from the lactic acid combats the cherry and chocolate sweetness. Really velvety. Mouthfeel incredibly smooth, like drinking a beer milkshake. Once again the flavor could pass for cherry chocolate chip ice cream. Finishes with a dry bakers chocolate taste, but still lots of residual sweetness. Poured a dark brown, really no head nor lacing. Has a pleasant but not overpowering aroma paralleling the palate: chocolate, cherries, light caramel, brown sugar. Not the best beer on a hot and humid day, but nice any other time.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

A unique balance of flavorings going on here.

Slightly sweet, but not bitter.

I actually prefer the smaller head on this stout.

The smell and mouthfeel are both excellent and the coloring and lacing are awesome.

Definitely a fan of Saucony Creek now.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "Chocolate Cherry Imperial Milk Stout crafted with cherries and chocolate"; "From Farm to Pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

I do not know if the winking, buxom, braided ponytail-wearing young cowgirl really has her cherry as her hat and boots indicate, but there is no term of endearment that is more Pennsylvania Dutch ("Dutchie") than "Schnickelfritz". There is no literal translation from the Deutsch (German), but my late Pops always called my brother by this moniker. Another thought: Does chocolate milk come from brown cows?

It has been in my kitchen reefer since its arrival, so it is nice and cool, but I wanted to use an initial gentle pour in case any lees had built up. Further, if Miss Schnickelfritz really is Cherry, it behooves me to be gentle. Even so, I noticed what might have been floaties, so I kept things to a bare minimum. I agitated it in the glass and got a brief finger of deep-tan head, but it quickly returned to wisps. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with ruby highlights at the edges, hence the range. Nose was sweet, quite chocolaty and the cherries were likewise sweet, as opposed to sour. Sweet on top of sweet?!? Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. Schnickelfritz was definitely Cherry! I could have identified cherries even without the labeling, but they were not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Really, neither was the chocolatiness. Semi-sweet, yes, but not milk chocolate and certainly not dark chocolaty. For the second or so time in a few days, I was put in mind of cherry brandy! In Deutsch, cherry is "kirsch" and cherry brandy is "kirschwasser". How do I know this and why do I mention it? My mother's maiden name is Kirsch! Finish was bringing the heat as little Miss Schnickelfritz wanted to make this as memorable an occasion as possible. Don't worry, baby, I am not going to forget this afternoon for a while. Heat in a Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout?!? Imperial, indeed! I wonder how quickly I can get back up to Kutztown for a repeat ride ...

3.25/5  rDev -11%

3.25/5  rDev -11%

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

I am really hoping the "cherry" flavor is natural rather than a mild side effect from slight infection. Paid $3.50 for the single.

A - Well it looks good again like the Hop Suplex it has hardly no carbonation just a 1/4 inch that fades back to nothing and the beer itself is quite dark with mild amber hues at the base.
S - Ah good its not infected! Lactic sugars, roasted malts, and just a hint of chocolate it smells great!
T - Its smooth, rather sweet with some cherry flavor and I do get some chocolate malt taste. Roasts are mild and sugars are great. This is a very above average milk stout.
M - It has a pretty great medium body and mildly chewy. I can dig it.

Overall I was more impressed with this so maybe they should stick to to maltier beers, which is actually my favorite of styles Bocks, Imperial Stouts, and Porters. GET ON IT guys!

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%