Hop Suplex | Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub

Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub
Pennsylvania, United States
sauconycreekbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Hop Suplex is juiced with six different hop varieties in the brew kettle and our slow, heavy weight dry-hop additions added by HopfenKubel. Hop Suplex Ale features Saucony's widest range of hop varieties and our most complex hopping schedule. Hop Suplex weighs in at 10% ABV compliments of a hefty grain bill, but a dose of honey balances the flavor and compliments the floral and strong citrus tones of grapefruit, melon, and gooseberry provided from our favorite selection of hops.

Added by DaveHack on 02-16-2014

Reviews by jgran737:
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Murky copper with a very small white head.

S: Citrus, melon, a fair bit of pine and a ton of booze.

T: I'll be honest I was sold on a very small sample of this. At first taste it is amazing. You get a lot of citrus, melon, and booze. If I were to leave it at that, this beer would be a perfect 5, however I noticed as I drank the beer it felt like it got more "bready" and boozy and the citrus and melon escaped me. Starts out strong, finishes weak.

M: Light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O: I hope they continue to improve on this offering as it has HUGE potential and it was pleasant to see a nice boozy / hoppy ale come out of Saucony Creek Brewing Company. Kutztown represent!

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

I don't think this beer gets a perfect rating. But I do think it should be rated at least at 90 so I am overrating this to bring the overall up a little bit. This is a solid double IPA, better than most and at a good price. Smell reminded me of a Pliney or other heavy resin IPAs. Defintely worth buying and drinking. I will be snagging this one again.(this is my first review, sorry if this isnt the correct way to do this)

3.64/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very nice hop build, appreciate the honey adjunct. Nice mouthfeel, a little hot on the ABV

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

Saucony Creek Brewing Co. + Gastropub "Hop Suplex Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating or production code
$1.99 @ Giant, Havertown, PA

Up until now I've really liked everything I've had from Saucony Creek, but this one has me scratching my head. I don't really find it that hoppy, which is odd for a double or "Imperial" IPA. Of course maybe it's old, and I just don't know it as there's no freshness dating on the bottle, but I don't find any oxidation so I'm sure it's at least fairly fresh.

What I do find is fruitiness, and sweetness, giving it a candy-like aroma and flavor that's mixed with sweet white wine and wild flowers. There's alcohol there as well, which should be expected at 10% ABV, but it seems to stand apart from the maltiness which isn't good, leaving it candy-sweet upfront and then alcohol-spiced in the finish. Fortunately the bitterness is not overdone, checking in somewhere along the lines of a standard IPA (perhaps a little higher). Some citrusy and other tropical fruity hops are present along the way including soft orange, mango, melon, white grape and some pine - but the whole just comes across as sloppy and muddled. The overall balance is OK: it's not too bitter, and the alcohol does a lot of the drying in the finish, but it's just not refined. Perhaps this is an example that proves the adage "sometimes less is more". I enjoyed it as best I could as an American strong ale, but I don't know that I can get behind it as an "Imperial IPA".

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

4.24/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.54/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hop Suplex from Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub