Kutztown Lager | Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub

Saucony Creek Brewing Company + Gastropub
Pennsylvania, United States
sauconycreekbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

RING BOLOGNA ONCE! RING BOLOGNA TWICE! WE’RE FROM KUUUUTZTOWN GEEEZZZ THAT’S NICE!!!! A Kutztown Ring Bologna smoked amber lager. In local Kutztown Pennsylvania Dutch fashion we crafted an amber lager that is brewed with malts that we smoke over Kutztown Ring Bologna, infusing traditional Pennsylvania Dutch flavors. Kutztown Lagerbier is bright amber beer with a subtle smoke flavor and crisp lager taste.

Added by IdrinkGas on 04-25-2014

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

Saucony Creek "Kutztown Lager"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$4 @ Wegmans Market, King of Prussia, PA

Apparently the malt for this beer is smoked overtop of Kutztown ring bologna, so cheers to them for "recycling"! With that said, I don't get any bologna flavor, just woody smoke;P I knew right off the bat that it wasn't Beechwood (which is used in most of the German beers from the Bamberg/Franconia area), so I called Godshall's Meats and found out that it's mainly Hickory. The body is a deep amber beneath a creamy off-white head. It's smoky in the nose but not overpowering, and the same is true for the flavor. There's certainly enough smokiness that you can't disregard it, and yet there's not so much that the caramel character of the malt can't come through. Nicely balanced and polished. Well worth trying.

4.06/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very surprised at the low ratings for this beer. Bottom line is this beer is balanced and has a very interesting light smoke flavor that I rarely find. I like smoked beers but most of them hit you over the head with the smoke. This is a low ABV smoked beer you can enjoy anytime. Commend Saucony Creek Brewing Company for making this one part of their regular line up.

4.27/5  rDev +26.3%

My bottle backlog here at Chez Woody has caused me to give short shrift to a number of breweries. In some instances, it was because I bought the bottle and then realized that no approved pic existed, so I took a pic, resized it, submitted the pic, set the bottle aside and then got sidetracked awaiting approval. In this case, some of their beers had pics and others did not, but now, all is in readiness!

From the bottle: "From farm to pint our beer is alive! Unpasteurized keep it chilled!"

Aarrgh! Who took the approved picture? It is way too much of a close-in to do the label justice! The buxom serving wench holds a stein of dark lager in her right hand and Hans has a bratwurst on a fork in his left hand. Boo hoo.

My beer brother and former classmate, Michael, Michael Motorcycle (no real names for some of my guests, please) dropped this off during last week's tasting on the porch of Chez Woody. I had a bottle in abeyance, but it has worked out. Let's smoke, kids!

Fraische est sehr gut und so a heavy-handed pour was employed. Look at the head on that one, Deb! #TheOldLady had stopped in for a visit as she was curious about all of these buxom females coming and going.

"Listen, I'm barely employed, doll, and if zaftig girls in dirndls with beer and guys in leiderhosen with cooked brats want to stop by, who am I to stop them?!? Look at that beautiful three fingers of dense, tawny head that fell while you were unnecessarily chastising me! To die for."

Color was Amber to Deep amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) and Amber (that was the name of the buxom serving wench) bent over to give me a peck on the cheek as she left. I was too busy being mesmerized by the NE-quality clarity of the beer to notice #TheOldLady's lady fingers coming out of right field across my left cheek! Hoo hah.

"Hey, doll," I murmured, dipping my nose into the top of the glass so that she would not see me simultaneously laughing and crying.

My first draught off of this one and I was hooked. It was definitely a lager, with a sight sulfurous taste to to go along with the light smokiness. Until I looked up at #TheOldLady who was now adorned in a red leather bodysuit with black gloves and black high heeled boots. She was burning sulfur in my living room in an ashtray and stabbing me in my gluteus maximus with the tines of a bratwurst fork!

"I warned you to be messing around with other people's smokiness," #TheOldLady hissed. "What, I'm not smoky enough for you?"

"Oh, no, baby," I stammered. "You're just a little too smoky at times. There are those times that I just need some moderate smokiness and this was one of them," I continued, trying to invoke Steve McQueen as Josh Randall on "Wanted: Dead or Alive", currently playing on #MeTV

Yes, indeed, I like me some smoke, but when it comes on too strong, I like to lay back and have some less aggressive smoke, like this one. I was just in the process of licking my lips when #TheOldLady came at me like a tigress.

"Enjoying yourself, are you?!?"

"Well, now, cain't say that I ain't," I said, licking my lips some more. "This has the right amount of smokiness, it finishes right pleasant and it don't stab me in the ass with a fork nor hit me over the head with a stein when I ain't lookin'."

"What? You silly bastid!" #TheOldLady began just before my pals from Kutztown returned and ... Well, you know the rest. Hee hee.

Really, this was quite good, and perhaps misidentified as simply a Lager. I would put this up against the lightest of the Acht Sclenkerla lagers. I truly am a Smoked beer fan, right behind being a hophead, and this was fantastiche.

2.86/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

3.51/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I opened the bottle hoping for a sultry, smoky companion to my Dogfish Head brats. To be frank, I didn't like this. I didn't get much smoke but got a sour, sweet taste that drove me mad trying to identify. I think this could be the Bologna flavor others have described but I certainly did not find it enjoyable. The lager finish was nice and clean which I normally enjoy but in a smoked beer I want it to linger. Not what I was looking for but it might just not be my thing.

3.03/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

DATE TASTED: February 21, 2016... GLASSWARE: Samuel Adams special lager ... OCCASION: an unseasonably warm afternoon calls for a lager... APPEARANCE: an eruption of thick, craggy, off-white head towers from the glass, iceberg-style, standing up to room temperature better than the glaciers themselves, unfortunately... a cloudy, dense orange amber body distorts all background, but the massive exodus of upward bubbles proudly suggests freshness...the label's not too bad on the eyes, either... AROMA: some bitterness is suggested earliest, followed by caramel... the thin smokiness really doesn't frame this beer's expectations as the label does...vague baking smells do not help either... PALATE: light to medium bodied, with a swift intake... what can only be worded as a vodka-esque end lingers in the throat--a strange fire... TASTE: struggling to place this taste, with slight smokiness and pronounced hops bringing about floral, pungent, grapefruit... the caramel is a but rusty, and the dough is a bit spicy...should I be wondering about its freshness ... OVERALL: this beer manages to bring nuance to a style that often lacks distinction, though the results are mixed--a hoppier lager with devolved lager traits, this beer doesn't smoke nearly enough for my taste, though it does refresh with subtle flavor to exceed the average mouth rinser...

3.52/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a dark copper almost orange that is crystal clear. There is a medium sized off-white head. The aroma is pretty nice with some smoky malt and caramel. The flavor has the smoky vibe with some grain and malt. A real good beer, this should be on everyone's "to try" list.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

3.48/5  rDev +3%

3.49/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

3.69/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.26/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy, dark golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, light smokiness. Taste is meaty, malts, a bit unusual and not really to my liking. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

3.27/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark clear copper amber with an off white head. Aroma and Taste is toasted grains, caramel notes, some smoked flavor, with earthy hops bitterness. Palate is a medium body, moderate carbonation. Finishes with toasted grains, mild smoked notes, some caramel and an earthy hops bitterness for balance. Overall, its actually quite good for a lager.

3.48/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

-Smoked amber.

A: Orangish-ice tea coloring with medium clarity, shows a strong effervesce within with some macro particles (that looked like fish food flakes) dancing about in the vessel. A initial head of 1.5 inches remains so with a strong retention rate and whipped potato texture on the surface. Excellent lace coverage smears the vessel with large patches of foam.

S: Light smokiness of breakfast sausage and maple syrup, smoked pork, with some brief sweetness in between before fading to a lightly dried smoked pine wood finish. Light strength factor.

T: Smoked cherry wood, dried malt with a good deal of smokiness creeping in. Charred barrel woodiness, earthy dried vegetative matter, with some dried smoked port. A touch of sweet malt and dried spicy hopping comes on the swallow.

M: Acitve mouthful, smoky warmth with a medium-full body range.

O: Overall fairly crisp, smoked malt amber, with a lager bite influence. Decent level of drinkability, the smokiness is there, adds background enjoyment without over compensating, but leaves with a bit of smoky soot on the tongue for the grand finale.

3.46/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting, smokey flavor is more than "subtle". If that's what you like though

2.72/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

A: Slightly hazy brown color with a large white head.

S: Slightly acidic, with light malt and a straw aroma, following that is a light smoke smell as well as a little more cider vinegar smell.

T: Tart and acidic with vinegar notes, as well as a hint of smoke. Not bad, but it seems like it is out of form..

M: Light with fairly active carbonation.

O: Overall this is a bit of a miss for me. I think I got a funky bottle, not unbearable in fact slightly interesting, but not really good. It's either infected, or totally off mark for style.

2.53/5  rDev -25.1%