Porter

Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
metter98 from New York

3.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle at Fish!, London, England

A: The beer is very dark brown in color. It poured with a beige collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of nutty malts are present in the nose along with hints of cola.
T: The taste has flavors of nutty malts and cola with a light amount of bitterness. There are also hints of roasted malts.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The taste of this beer has a good balanced between the malty and cola flavors.

Oct 25, 2019
Spike from England

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

330ml bottle, 4.9% ABV.
L: Dark brown with a massive, mocha coloured, foamy head.
S: Chocolate & coffee, but a bit thin.
T: Milk chocolate, toasted notes, light bitterness.
F: Thin, fizzy, dry finish.
O: Decent chocolate malt flavour but over-carbonated and sharp. Mouthfeel is very unsatisfying.

Oct 15, 2018
LantGladstone from England

2.9/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

NOTE: there are other porters by this brewery reviewed. I wasn't sure if this was one of them or not.
Bottled June 17, 2015
Purchased from Ales by Mail

Appearance (Look)
clear brown with a hint of maroon, brown head that persists

Smell:
malt, chocolate, no hops, sweet

Taste
promising sweet malt, chocolate and then dies into astringency and slight tartness. slight spicy?

Mouthfeel (Feel)
a bit watery and astringent at the end. maybe oily

Overall = 20%

These guys are located close to where I live so I am pulling for them. I recently tried a saison and wasn't impressed. I thought if I tried a style I appreciated more, I'd like it more, but I really didn't like it. They share the same problems. Wateriness, astringency...is it their yeast? I haven't been impressed yet. I really want them to be more than cool bottle labels. They've nailed the chocolate aroma of a good, fresh porter but something is going on here that I really don't like. are they over converting it?

Nov 03, 2015