Organic Münster Alt | Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

pinkus-mueller.de

Style: Altbier

Added by Bierman9 on 04-16-2002

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.26/5  rDev -10.4%

Admittedly I’m not an Altbier fan, so this review probably isn’t going to be the best.

From the 500ml bottle with no freshness date evident, into a pint glass. Appears a hazy straw color with minimal carbonations beneath a tight one-finger head of whitish foam that fades away slowly leaving good, sheet-like lacing. Nose of sour fruit up front; I can’t decide if it’s intentional or just skunked. A bit musty with some malt peeking through. Faint tea-like flavor, bready wheat-like character, lots of grains. A bit of citrus and honey along with light malt. I’m not crazy about the flavor but I’m guessing it’s in style. Mouth is smooth edging toward thin, with full, creamy carbonation. Drinkability is about average, with no really impressive characteristics to bring me back.

Overall: Possibly skunked but probably not, this brew strikes me as overly bready and cereal-flavored as well as a bit thin. In style, I guess this is a good beer, but I just don’t appreciate Alts, I suppose. Your mileage may vary.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a bottle into a stein glass.

Look – slightly pale golden color, clear, with slow carbonation and about two and a half fingers’ worth of just barely off-white colored foam that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell – interesting smell, it’s very spicy, but I can’t tell which spices are being used. Slightly more on the hoppy side, perhaps using Saas hops?

Taste – much like the smell, it’s an interesting taste, perhaps not quite like anything I’ve tasted before. There’s a bit of a muskiness, but it starts off with a sweetness. Still very spicy, but I can’t identify it.

Mouthfeel – the Mouthfeel is fairly solidly on the watery side, but not so much to make it less interesting.

Overall – very intriguing brew! I wish I could figure out more about the taste and what’s in it.

4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

A foamy white head sits atop this yellow munster alt. A bit paler than I had envisioned. The head doesn't last long.

Very floral notes are present and a nice earthy aroma.

Sweet and delicate in the flavor. More floral and straw characteristcs. Simply refreshing and delicious. Crisp and light in character. Finishes fairly dry. There is a left over floral and sweet taste.

This is awesome! I have only had a few sips and I'm in love. A great alt and I wish I could get this more often.

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%

appearance - cloudy straw color, white head

smell - honey, wheat, gingerbread

taste - honey, caramel, malts, wheat

mouthfeel - light bodied, medium carbonation, smooth finish

drinkability - really refreshing beverage, knocked down a bit due to the price, my first Altbier and I am not disappointed

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

I'm enjoying this: a lot of flavor out of nowhere, and not a high abv to deal with. Pour is a dusky straw. Aroma is fresh and bready. Taste is a surprise of honey and some appley notes. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. I thought this would be darker, or hoppier, and I find it's neither (hard to tell with that brown bottle). I find this rather tasty, and wouldn't mind a few bottles more for the rest of the evening. Would drink again. pat

3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a yellow amber with a bright white head. Malty sweet, but limited in complexity. Hops are supurb in their crispt bite. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style and thus suffers in ranking, but smooth none the less. Nice and eady to drink.

And my hebrew name is Schlomo ben Pinkus so there we go!

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

When poured into my glass, this beer poured a good head and it also had decent lacing to it. In my opinion, it had a fruity aroma and there was a lot of carbonation observed. This beer went down very smooth which is much to my liking and it was a very drinkable beer.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

4.34/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours cloudy rich golden in color with a moderately thick white head, good retention and plenty of lace. Inviting aromas of German malts, apples, honey, estery yeast, and a citric hoppiness. Tastes lightly sweet, but with a dry tarty balance--malty but with apples, tart wheat, estery, and a malty cookie and floral finish. Very light in body, but creamy and complementary to the nicely balanced flavor. This beer gave me a new appreciation for alt biers, very tasty stuff. Very easy to drink, very good.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +10.4%

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours light straw and clear with a little sediment at the bottom. Almost zero head despite being well carbonated. Wheat and oats on the nose with a sweet candy sugar. Taste is mellow and smooth oatmeal with maybe a little white peach. A prickly crisp carbonation finish. Zesty rye spiciness but very subdued. Dark bran finish with a light dry hop finish. Thin dry and refreshing with a mild dry finish. Easy drinking. Really tasty light beer. Not all that exciting, but tasty.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Drank this from a pint poured from the bottle. A gold that's almost transparent. Bubbly and I got a single finger head that sounds clearly then recedes with hardly even a lacing.

Picking up hints of citrus but mostly malts and not a lot else.

The first sip is stinging and it stays that way through out. I'm getting coriander through mild carbonation that provides zero cover. That being said, the flavor lingers with citrus and garlic and it's all front and no back. There is a staining aftertaste that offers little more in terms of flavor. Re-asserts itself, I suppose. Very malty and opens up to serious citrus toward the middle third.

It's a light brew that's doesn't pack much in the way of carbonation. Can't hold it on the tongue for long, honestly.

Sting is admittedly problematic as this is not a necessarily smooth brew. That being said, it can be dealt with quickly and the lack of back helps this area out.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

I got a single 1 pint and 1 fluid ounze bottle of Organic Munster Alt, and poured into a pint glass (Those numbers don't add up well). Again, this is one of the handful of Pinkus Organics that I got last night and was extemely impressed with. Very good taste for an organic beer. Again, the smell wasn't that stong. The color was a darkish brown color with a little transperiency. There was a touch of head, with not much retention and very little lace left over. Don't drink and review.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Germany's oldest organic brewery has quite the extensive selection in the Organic Market. Pours out an "untypical" Altbier color of light honeyed amber. Light carbonation makes a nice light fluffy head. Looks a bit like a Keller bier.
On the nose--tart lemon,musty grains,touch of orange, lightly sweet-apple,pear, grape.the sweetness is nicely cut by the blast of mineral,grain, and fresh grass.
Flavor is reminiscent of a Berliner Weisse. Lemon, acidic,light,nicely carbonated,and just the right amount of creaminess to balance. this finish is long and lingering with pepper, honey and lemon.
nice,light tart and refreshing. Maybe not a typical Altbier but tasty nonetheless. I'll be living near Munster soon, so looks like I'll have lots more in my future Cheers

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pale gold with a fluffy off white head.
Lightly toasted biscuit aroma. Hint of bubble gum.
A subdued grassy fruit flavor with mild bitterness.
Low carbonation with a slight crisp mouthfeel. Dry finish.
Quite tasty!