Organic Münster Alt | Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

pinkus-mueller.de

Style: Altbier

Added by Bierman9 on 04-16-2002

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%

I'm not too experienced in Alts, and the last one I had was very different from this one, so take the review with a grain of salt.

A- Pours pale yellow with a head that foams like the sea. Small amount of lacing, but not much.

S- A little light lemon, slight oxidation, sharper huskiness.

T- Lemon flavor is really prominent on this one. The malt is light and coarse at the same time in an interesting way. Good but somewhat one dimensional.

M- Quite dry, but lingering. I do like the way this beer feels in the mouth, if only because it's different.

D- Interesting but not earth shattering. I'm curious to see what the rest of their organic line up is like.

3.17/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: Poured from the 1 pint 1 fl oz bottle into a pilsner glass. I'm a bit taken aback. The beer is a dark gold, almost clear. Thousands of small bubbles are swarming through the liquid. A thick, white head (about 1 1/2 inches) sits atop the beer. The head lasts well into the beer. Some good lacing. I am still puzzled by the look, I expected this to be much darker.

Smell: Aroma is slightly sweet, all malt. Biscutty, bready, yeasty scent dominated. Some grassy smell as well.

Taste: The taste is similar to the smell. Touch sweet, no bitterness here. The beer is bready, heavy yeasty taste, a little grainy (wheat and perhaps barley). I almost feel like I'm drinking a pilsner.

Mouthfeel: Close to medium in body, the beer starts crisp and lively (highly carbonated) and finishes dry, A nice full mouthfeel to it.

Drinkability: The beer is easily consumable, just not memorable, nor will I actively seek this one out again.

After consuming the bottle I had to double check to make sure that what I had drank was the Alt. The bottle says it was, so I must assume it is right. This just seemed a lot like the Ur Pils.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

A-Poured into glass. Nice golden color looks like many of the macro beers, but has a nicer head that goes down rather quickly and laces quite nicely

S- A very faint and fresh caramel cedar spiciness.

T- Uber refreshing with hints of cherry and a wheaty-caramel flavors and a little reminiscent of baked apples with a muted hoppy bite at the end. Leaves the mouth pleasantly dry.

M- Light bodied, carbonation. Es ist mittelmäßig!

D-This beer seems to have more aspects to it than I can glean. I'll want to try it again when my tasters have improved.

4.23/5  rDev +16.2%

16.1 oz. bottle.

Appearance: This beer poured a hazy, golden yellow. The pure white head rose up easily and was very dense and lightly fluffy. A very heavy bead fed it from below and caused it to linger for a long, long time. A think cap of foam still remained as I drained the glass It was sticky and clung to the side of the glass as it dissipated, pretty much coating it solidly. As I drank, the lacing was very heavy and left lovely rings down the length of the glass. I love it when that happens.

Smell: Right after the pour, the aroma was very sweet and floral. After a few minutes, the floral component calmed and was joined by a robust herbalness and some mild hops. Light anise, roasted malts, the slightest hint of vanilla, and a sweet fruitiness were detectable underneath. A lovely and very complex aroma. Nice.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and extremely smooth. The lack of carbonation in the mouth, as well as the lightness of the body made this brew seem watery at times, though.

Taste: Very delicate overall. Spicy herbal hops were very evident, but didn't contribute much apparent bitterness; just enough to balance things out. A mild sweetness and apples countered the spiciness. Light, cracker-like malt and a nuttiness rounded things out. Slightly dry, which made this beer go down very quickly.

I've never been a huge alt fan, but I am a fan of this beer. Very nice. The flavors are on the borderline of being too delicate, but the flavor that was there was great.

Thanks for the bottle, babydoc!

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%

oxidized and no head. color was not what i was expecting slightly sweet, nutty and fruity.
Nice medium bodied beer, but the typical alt color was missing this beer is a yellow peach color, not the typical brownish porter color of the dusseldorfer alt which I am accustomed to enjoying.
I may have gotten an old beer. I'll certainly keep my out for it in the future and give it another try. Clearly they are doing something right by the other reviews. I fear I just got a bad bottle of this stuff.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

I tried this alongside a Pinkus Hefe-Weizen and found many similar characteristics between the two. The Alt is a cloudy amber with a sticky head that lasts all the way down the glass. Aroma is mostly bready but with a decent hit of citrus, but the citrus really overpowers in the taste: way too much orange for me in this style, almost to the point of tasting like a cough drop. Bitterness is quite present, which cuts the sweetness somewhat. In fact, this had more bitterness than other Alt biers I've tried, but in a pleasant way. Not bad, but probably not something I'll try again.

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16.9 ounce Euro-brown bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour produces about 1/2 inch of a frothy, snow white head. The beer is a hazy pale golden with high carbonation. The color is surprisingly pale.

Wow. This is unique and different (and very tasty). The aroma is so unique that I can hardly describe it, but it is very nice. Delicate hop flavor-aromas are evident, producing hints of citrus and candy-like pale malts- pineapple comes to mind. I think the uniqueness that I can't quite describe might be from mineral water, yeast, or a combination of the two. A little bit of pleasant tartness is evident in the aftertaste. The brew feels tingly on the tongue and produces plenty of pleasant burpiness.

I bought this bottle for $3.29 at Front Street Market in Butte, Montana. This beer is a very reasonably priced treat, and I must extend kudos to my favorite local beer outlet. I've noticed a few of these German imports that are a very good value. Prost!

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

This brew poured a full head of finely sized white bubbles with a fair lacing. This brew has a cloudy dark yellow color with carbonation rising continuously up the side of the glass. It has a citrus flavor with a hint of honey full bodied and flavorful with a corresponding citrusy honey aroma. I can tell already that this brew is going to go down well with dinner.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured a cloudy golden color with a big foamy head. The smell was mostly malt with a little bit of spicy and slightly grassy hops. The taste follows the smell, starting off with a little sweet malt that gives away to some flavorful hops that aren't overbearing. The mouthfeel was slightly watery with some very refreshing crisp carbonation. This a very drinkable beer that doesn't sacrifice flavor for drinkability.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Cloudy and gold with a thin white head. Aroma is malty and fruity... a grainy aroma mixed with sour fruit. Flavor is mild but interesting... some grain and bread like flavors with critus and sour apple notes. Finishes with a touch of spicy hops. Crisp and refereshing, with a light to medium body. Would make an excellent summer seasonal.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

This is another organic brew from the folks from the Pinkus Brewery, and it happens to be an altbier. I don't have that much experience with the alt style, but if this one is any indication of how the rest of the style is, I'll be looking forward to trying more.

Pinkus Alt pours an "organic" hazy copper color, with some golden hints to it. A finger of foam forms and retains for about 30 seconds. The aroma also hinted at the "organic" qualities of this beer, as it had a somewhat distinct but not overpowering mustiness to it. Nice grassy notes, along with the citric/herbal hoppiness add to the aroma, and later on the sweet malts become more pronounced as well. The initial sip struck me with a very sweet, caramel-like maltiness. A rather prominent bitterness hit me within those first few sips as well, although it seemed to mellow out as I drank on. The citric/herbal qualities of the hops here balance out the sweetness of the brew nicely. The aftertaste had some lingering maltiness, nuttiness, grassiness, and a slight touch of bitterness. The brew finishes out with no alcoholic warmth.

I thought that this was an interesting brew, and it was quite easy to drink as well. I hope to track down more more alts to see how they comapare with this one.

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

Mellow aroma of sweet breads, lightly spicy. Dark yellow with a huge white creamy top and nice lacing, slow carbonation. Mouthfeel is full and creamy at the very start but finished with a little bit of a thin quality. Flavor is mild and easy on the palate making this alt very drinkable. Slightly sweet with a good breadiness. Enjoyable but slightly better than average.

4.29/5  rDev +17.9%

A: Pinkus Alt is deep amber in color with a slight haze, and decorated with healthy lacing and a frothy white head.

S: This beer smells like a mash-tun, rich with grainy goodness. The honey and grain aromas are rich, bold, and let you know that you are about to enjoy a malty treat.

T: As the nose promises, This beer is saturated with flavors of raw barley, wheat, and oatmeal, topped off with a dose of honey to sweeten the deal.

M: Medium in body, carbonation, and chewiness.

D: This is a delightful, readily available Altbier that delivers the goods. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to get to know German beer.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.95/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

altbier my foot!?! ... very pale gold... some foam but low .. some nice flavours, honey lychee- kinda of intriguing ... again, if this is an altbier, i'd be very surprised- i am not an altbier expert but it seems like a light version .. a decent enjoyable beer but nothing like i expected..

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%

Hazy straw yellow pour out of the 500ml bottle with a couple fingers of fluffy white head. Has some sweet banana yeast on the nose, but then the smell of a musty barn enters. Faint hops in the aroma and taste. A bit of lemon-like tartness mixed in with a touch of sweetness. This beer just doesn't do it for me. I'm not real familiar with this style, so I may have to come back to this at a later date.

3.12/5  rDev -14.3%