Organic Münster Alt | Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

pinkus-mueller.de

Style: Altbier

Added by Bierman9 on 04-16-2002

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%

Purchased at Wilbur's in Ft Collins.

It pours from 500ml bottle a clear light gold with a fairly large head of foam. After the second pour, the brew becomes cloudy and the head of foam is more substantial and longer lasting. I've got 2 finger foam in my glass right now and it's not shrinking at all. Nice.

The smell is malty and hoppy. Neither is more dominant than the other.

The taste starts of with some malt but then the hops move in and that's on the citrusy side. This is a very delicate beer and in order for me to get the most flavour out of it, I have to swish it back and forth in my mouth. *That's* when this Alt starts to shine. I get some real earthy notes from the malt as well as some sweet caramel and the hops subside to a point where they're just giving the beer the slightest bit of bitter and semi sour character. I miss the fine nuances when I just sip and swallow.

Overall? I think a lot of the flavour with this Alt will be missed if you just sip or drink and swallow but I find that swishing it in your mouth just a few times will help you recognize what's going on here when you return to sipping/drinking. Just something that I find from my experience. Ymmv. Bottom line: I really like this Alt and I hope to try some more of the style in the not too distant future.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Slightly hazy golden/blond color. Poured a 2 finger coarse, stark white head with good retention. Thick lacing clung to the glass.

S: Delightful fruity presence; orange and grapes. Bitter crispness tickles the nose.

T: Opens with a light malty sweetness. Fruit flavors came through int he middle. Bitter finish gave a bit of crispness, but some lingering sweetness.

M: Light side of medium body. ied, but substantial enough. Decent carbonation but not sufficient; seemed a little flat.

D: Very smooth and pretty flavorful. Goes down real easy; crisp and dry. I only had one bottle, but easily sessionable.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours with a two-fingered white head that fades slowly and leaves some lace. Low carbonation. Slightly cloudy amber color but no chunky bits. Nose is slightly hoppy. Starts with a hoppy dryness and leaves with an aftertaste that has a slight bitterness. To be honest I find it boring. Light bodied. $3.89 for a 500ml bottle.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a pale golden-orange with a bright white pillowy head. Visible carbonation was moderate.

S: spicy and yeasty with oranges and citrus.

T: The flavor had some nutbread, oranges, and citrus. There was a moderate citric bite (lemons) and a light breadiness with a light herbal hopping. The beer finished with a nice spicy and zesty lemony tang.

M: citric, tart, with light carbonation.

D: Ok drinkability, a modest drinking alt.

2.93/5  rDev -19.5%

Incredibly cloudy golden colour, with a rocky head of pure white, extremely fine carbonation. Bubbles are obscenely fine, almost like powder as it forms. Body is light and fine. Looks decent.

Nose is bright, but slightly yeasty, with honeyed organic characters, giving a fresh but sweetly underfermented oomph the the aroma. Smells either slightly too sweet or slightly too strong. Either makes me feel uncomfortable.

Taste is crisper and lighter, and it drags it back to the realms of sensibility. There's still certainly a big robust sweetness that gives it an unpleasant malt character, but there's at least a crispness to it that lends it sharp maltiness. Still, there's very little balance, and it's too sweet, but it's at least better than I expected.

Too sweet. To be honest I'm far from a fan, and I don't believe it's a particularly good alt. It's smooth and somewhat drinkable, but depressing in it's expressibility.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a stange. Had a brownish-yellow color and a cloudy-murky consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing.

S: A sweet, grassy smell, with some hops and a sugary quality.

T: The grassiness, more than anything dominated the taste. Also had a tinge of hops and caramel in it as well. An OK taste, but not overwhelmingly awesome.

M: A high amount of carbonation with a dry, smooth finish. Light-bodied.

D: For an organic beer (with which I haven't had much luck) this one is drinkable. Not something I'd come running back to.

1.44/5  rDev -60.4%

Pours a very hazy, dark golden yellow color with a one finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Sporadic chunks of lacing left behind. Much lighter in color than expected for the style.

The aroma of this beer is extremely bland with some bready yeast, subtle pale malt and a very faint earthy hop presence. There's really not much else going on and it's hard to pick up anything except the yeast and faint grassy hops.

On the lighter end of medium bodied with an odd combination of bready yeast, grassy hops, citrus and astringent metal. Really weird and off style with a very watered down mineral like flavor. Some zesty spice, bready yeast, citrus peel and rusted tin. Bland and very unpleasant.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

( Served in an Imperial pint glass)

A- This beer pours has a hazy golden orange body with creamy white head that last and last. The carbonation is a slow gentle note of tiny bubbles.

S- The notes of dry pale malt with a slightly sweet caramel malt note. No real note of hops. As it warms the smell of fresh malt and a slight earthiness comes through.

T- This beer has a dry pale malt and biscuit note that is soon followed by a bright fruity almost orange note. The finish has a slight green noble hops bitterness. As it warms the orange note has a slight nutty quality to it.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a slightly thick texture that is note really creamy and not really watery.

D- This is not what I was expecting in an alt. The bright fruit notes are nice and adds more depth. The malt flavors are light but complex with fresh grain qualities that are refreshing.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Picked up a 17oz bottle from my RT 8 Giant Eagle for $2.30.

A - Color is a nice hazy yellow, almost orange with a 1/2 inch of bubbly white head.

S - Tons of lemon and grass with some grains and a touch of caramel like sweetness.

T - On the palate it's sweet and grainy and to me almost has a sour apple like note mid palate. The finish has some hops and a sweet caramel malt.

M - Light to medium a good beer.

Overall this is a great German Alt. If I ever go back I will have to pick up the pils.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.35/5  rDev -8%

Pours a very clear, cloudy color with minimal head. Aroma is light and somewhat malty upfront. Taste is somewhat bitter in front with a lot of malt crispness. It's nice and bready as well. A bit hard to describe but otherwise, I think this is a decent altbier. It's not as dark as other altbiers that I've had and seems more true to the style as well. Regardless, I'll chalk this up as being very drinkable much like the Ur Pils.

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%

Clear yellow-gold color (with a slight haziness) and a towering white head. The head has decent retention. Cereal grains and a dryish spicy continental hop smell in the aroma. Fleeting veggie smell (didn’t believe it at first). Not terrifically carbonated, and llight to medium mouthfeel. Grassy and hoppy, and a rather dry finish. Pretty good for a spring sipping beer; it is refreshing, but not outstanding.

2.57/5  rDev -29.4%

Hazy straw golden. A little beige head provides minimal lace. The aroma is quite bready. And yeasty. And mildly fruity. This beer seems slippery on the tongue. Quite slick and not too enjoyable. There's a trace tart quality that really isn't appropriate. Lemony as well. Some bready malts and german hops noted as well. Probably my least favorite alt to date.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

16oz bottle, pours super pale gold, super clear, topped with a fizzy white head that holds decent retention and leaves some lacing on the glass. Aromas are grassy, biscuity, fresh, grape juice, apple juice. Tastes are crisp, very dry, tart, white grape, chardonnay, apple juice, grassy, delicate noble hops. Mouth-feel is thin and bubbly, finishes dry. Overall, this is different than any other altbier I've had. Definitely sessionable, but not for the price. I probably wouldn't get this one again.

3.26/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

My first altbier! Pours murky dark yellow with a small white quickly receding head. Aroma of sweetly tart cherries, some alcohol, not much else. Flavor is sweet up front with the cherry and honey, then fades into pilsner malt characteristics. Light and lots of carbonation, so would be fine for a hot day. Overall, a small step up from a pale lager if you ask me. Meh.

3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Think I got a bad bottle. Butterscotch aroma. Butterscotch flavor and odd carbonation. Bleh. Very little head, no lace. Not drinking more of this. Hints of bridal leather and kerosene, reminds me of the fresh earth at a funeral. The finish was thankfully, not that long nor lingering. No bbe date.

Edit: 2nd time’s the charm and no comparison. What stands out here is a certain mintyness, both in aroma and flavor. Flavor’s not overly sweet. Body is slightly crisp. Very interesting. And drinkable..

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

4.29/5  rDev +17.9%

I had this beer at Mr. Moto's in Burlington IA, poured from a standard German 0.5L bottle. The beer was much lighter in color than I expected for an Altbier, it was crystal clear and golden colored. The aroma was malty, a little like a muted wort smell, very promising. The flavor was almost all malts, slightly sweet, nothing offensive but nothing too strong either. Very easy for a variety of palates I would guess, almost like a strong Kolsch. Very nice sessionable beer.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Brauerei Pinkus Mueller's Munster Alt a couple weeks ago for $3.59 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a new beer to try and I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it did have #06000a9, but I don't know what that means. Poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple looking and it's not too eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy pale yellow color that took on more of golden color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, it's a little light looking for a Altbier, but that could be because it's a Munster Alt.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some bready, sweet malts, grainy, and light caramel like aromas. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a fruity and doughy aroma. This beer had a pretty nice and unique aroma.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by all those malty aspect that I got in the aroma with hardly any of that caramel aspect coming through and the grainy and sweet malts seem to stick out the most. Up next comes the yeast which imparts that same fruity and doughy aspect with the doughy flavors showing up just a little more. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a little more sweetness and a grainy and sweet malt like aftertaste, This was a nice tasting beer, but it was a little on the sweet side.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and nice example a typical German Lager, it had all the aspects that I would expect from that style and it didn't seem to be all that similar to any of the Altbiers I've had, but I've never had a Munster Alt before so that might be typical for the style. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these but the sweetness might start to wear on me after that. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, that caramel aspect made it pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the sweetness, if it was toned down a little it would help this beer out. I might buy this beer again when in the mood for this style, it's priced well and I would recommend it to anyone who likes German lagers. All in all I thought this was a solid beer, it was pretty similar to some of the better German Lagers I've had and it didn't have anything off about it. This made for a nice first impression for Brauerei Pinkus Mueller and i wouldn't mind trying a few more of their beers. Nice job guys, keep up the good Organic work..

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Pretty pour. A hazy orange beer that sparkles and then explodes into a bright white head that sticks around.

Smells like plums and overripe fruit. It's a very intense smell but not complicated.

Tastes...different. Yeast and malt upfront. Plums giving way to a strong, very juicy taste of generic fruit that disolves into a bitter lemon in the back. Complex and different, and nicely balanced, but not really my cup of tea. Too sweet in strange ways.

Nice body and it goes down smooth.

From what I've heard, this beer really varies from bottle to bottle. If I ever come across it again, I might give it another try. Until then, it's just a rather MOR import.

Organic Münster Alt from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller