Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

pinkus-mueller.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by paleoplant on 04-04-2002

4.86/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

From bottle at home. The label has been changed some 5 years ago. Still yellowish but the 'organic' dots have been enlarged.

This is THE first "craft" beer I got hooked on back in 2007 or so. Found it at Whole foods, took 2 home, went back & ordered a case. That lasted me pretty much all summer.

This is a not a "session" beer. It's full, rich, yet refreshing flavor combines with a rich texture that gets you to maybe 2 pints....maybe. Ever hear a beer described as "satisfying"? Here it is. 2 & out.

To this day Pinkus Heffe has it all. Crisp, but not dry. Flavorful with a polite, slight citrus afterglow. It leaves one trying to discern all the different elements of flavor. Adding up to one of the most distinguished, refreshing beverages I've ever had & to date I've noted 650 beers here at Beer Advocate. Weihenstephaner is without a doubt the granddaddy of the Heffes, but there is a distinguished, yet low level spice character here that I really appreciate.

Buy it, chill it, pour it & get ready for a brew that meets all the criteria you hear time & again in the advertising of the herd. There are crisper, less noble heffes out there that are very good, but if you want a beer that leaves you satisfied, this is it.

Note to the Snarky, I do not work for this or any other company & spent over 20 years in the F&B industry, so I know how to enjoy life.

4.83/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +31.8%

Pale gold. Fine white foam. Hazy but not cloudy, no eddys of yeast whirling in the glass.

Fruity aroma w/ a bit of spice. I can't put my finger on it but not he usual banana-clove affair. Sort of fruity and floral? Nice, if not traditional.

Surpised to find a pleasant sweetness that complements the aromas, lingering on the palate before a crisp tart finish is delivered.

A bit of carbonation tingle in the mouth. Leaves a slight chalky, mouth drying feel that makes one want another sip.

This is a yummy, easy drinker.

4.57/5  rDev +27.7%

Nice big bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Super cloudy tan with a marshmellow head that disappeared quickly but left nice lacing.

S: Sour dough bread, bananas and slight notes of almonds.

T: Yeasty, somewhat watery body contains lots of fresh dough, lemons and a nutty character in the finish.

Drinkability: Exceptionally easy to drink without being boring at all.

Value: I wish they'd make this one in a six pack form. The individual bottles are a little pricey.

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

Saw the label and had to try this discount 500 bottle

A- hazy yellow but somehow crisp. Really pretty looks

S- bubblegum! I finally pick it up well in this one and it's great

T- same as the smell very very nice. Can't better than this

M- the hops and dryness come through with the great carbonation

O - man now this is the German hefe to try! Best so far

4.52/5  rDev +26.3%

Veeerrrry different.
Bright creamy yellow color.
Right away the aromatics are seductive as they offer a very untainted hot-cereal richness, then push back with lemon-head and lemoncello brightness. Buttery, milky, oaty flavors are decorated with bitter citrus peel and grapeseed oil. Quite a stunning composition, and utterly convincing as something that is NOT the result of shortcuts. Slap good ingredients together and this is what you get. The movement from deep, satiny maltiness to doughy white breadiness to ripe twigginess is absolutely seamless.
And I think this bottle was stressed.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Pinkus Muller Organic Hefe Weizen pours a cloudy, straw gold with a vigorous, 2” white head. It has mild spicy fruit and citrus flavors and aromas and is dry and refreshing. The malt is medium low and the beer is dry and refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Cloudy orange with little head that disappears. Rich bready smell. Tastes bready with some fruity esters. Mouthfeel is good, sparkling carbonation with a bloom of taste and alcohol. Overall, this is a hefeweizen a little outside of the usual taste, but it is very good in all respects. A little creamier than other hefeweizens I have had, but well worth trying and I think can be appreciated many times.

4.48/5  rDev +25.1%

I could have sworn that I reviewed the Pinkus line of beers at one point, bottle be darned if I CAN find them!

I agitated the beer in the bottle before I poured, but even at that, I just got a finger of bone-white head that quickly became wisps. Color was a VERY cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was unlike any hefeweizen I can remember - it had a honey-like lager sweetness! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and had a lemony tartness on the tongue. I swear, I was reviewing a hefeweizen because that is what it had on the label! Man, this was right out of left field and I liked it. I will openly cop to liking any hefeweizen that does not go heavy on the banana/bubble gum esters and it is possible to do so. Finish was still slightly tart and highly refreshing. This was so unlike any of the others that I could not help but like it.

4.42/5  rDev +23.5%

500 ml bottle poured into a wiezen glass, the Organic Hefe-Weizen is cloudy straw yellow with a tight,creamy white head that leaves moderate lace. Nice glow to the color, perfect for this warm, spring afternoon.

Smell is very floral, lots of wheat, a bit sour, minerals and yeast. As it warms, the wheat looses out to the sugars and flowers, saison like.

Taste is nice and yeasty, spicy clove, wheaty and malty. This is a very nice hefe, but quite a bit different then I was expecting, with none of the classic banana esters, and even the clove not as dominant as the actual wheat. This is yeasty, not estery, which leaves a bit of a coating in the mouth. The floral sweetness leaves a bit of a witbier/saison aftertaste, which I frankly very much enjoy. In fact, I'll probably have one of those with dinner!

Mouthfeel is crisp, carbonated and yeasty - fairly full.

Drinkability is pretty good for me, I really enjoy the taste, probably because it's more belgian then barvarian. I'd think that some hefe fans would be disappointed though.

Organic Hefe-Weizen from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller