Organic Hefe-Weizen | Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

Added by paleoplant on 04-04-2002

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

2.73/5  rDev -23.1%

500ml bottle poured into Weisse glass 9/1/12

A murky peachy orange with lots of bubbles feeding a fast falling two finger head that leaves no lace

S soggy cereal and sour lemon

T as it smells really with a little spice but not much for the style, perhaps an old bottle because this is not quite right for a Hefe

M light bodied with enough bubbles too give it some life, grainy aftertaste

O this one didn't really do it for me, looks average and not the typical Hefe flavors and smells

pretty average stuff, I doubt I'd bother with this one again

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle purchased at Karstadt in Darmstadt, Hessen (Germany)

Pours a very hazy, murky lemon gold. A full head with perfect lace, this is a mighty beautiful beer.

A mild, though very nice nose. Pepper, clove, bread yeasts, and a faint marijuana aroma.

Despite the pepper in the nose, I get very little spice in the mouth. Orange, citrus, and mild breads are all present. The mouthfeel is a little over carbonated at first, but then the bubbles fade surprisingly quickly, and the beer ends a little watery.

Overall a well balanced beer, finely made, and very enjoyable to drink. The flavors, though a little mild, blend together very nicely for a finely crafted hefe.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

3.19/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Dull gold and hazy, and light toward the top; Hazy enough that I can’t see my fingers on the other side of the glass. Pours a thin, rocky head that fades fast, with very little lacing, though the carbonation is certainly there.

S: Orange, faint lemon, with a yeasty character, very much what a weizen should be.

T: The same fruits as the nose with a spicy (coriander) character that lends it a nice definition, with less yeast than I thought there would be from the nose, and a surprising amount of carbonation on the tongue.

MF: Very tingly with carbonation, close to soda-like, and not too thick. This beer is fantastic for summer drinking; it has a low ABV and a refreshing bounciness on the palate.

O: A fairly disappointing pour with its short-lived head, but a very relaxing beer. It’s thoroughly enjoyable, and my ecological college-minded side especially likes its organic certification.

3.35/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look – pale golden color, somewhat hazy looking, with about half a finger’s worth of off-white colored foam that dissipates somewhat quickly.

Smell – interesting smell, as with most of their beers (probably due to the “organic” ingredients. It definitely has a Bavarian style to the aroma, which is hard to identify, but it’s kinda like a gluwein.

Taste – pretty sharp and bitter from the hops straight out of the gate. The bitterness hit an acme a little bit after the middle of the tasting, and then mellows out some. The actual taste of the hops isn’t there, just the bitterness. I can’t really taste the wheat in this one, which is interesting.

Mouthfeel – pretty well balanced, but still leans more on the watery side.

Overall – not a bad brew, but an interesting/confusing taste for a Hefe.

3.52/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance:
pours a inch-high head with decent lacing. cloudy golden color.

aroma: very fruity; i detect apples and cloves.

palate: i frankly found the taste lacking compared with the smell. very single-dimensional; again with the apple taste. not a strong aftertaste; not bitter; and slightly carbonated. it was good, but not excellent

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

500ml Bottle

Appearance – Hazy dark yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a below average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fairly good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - wheat, bananas, lemons, oranges

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation. I can taste wheat mixed with bananas and some lemons/oranges. The banana taste is a little bit different that what I'm use to though.. it reminded me a bit of a banana candy or a banana Popsicle. There is also a little bit of a clove or coriander spiciness to it. The beer finishes with a banana and citrus aftertaste with a hint of spice.

Overall – Although the taste was a little artificial, I still really enjoyed it and found it to be highly drinkable. The taste was refreshing and it's an excellent summer beer.

3.08/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from a bottle into a schooner (with great care to raise the unfiltered bits off the bottom of the bottle - the endeavor was successful). No best before date on the bottle.

A - pours a very cloudy yellow with lots of initial carbonation and fluffy white head, both of which seem to dwindle away to nothing after a minute or two.

S - very little on the nose; none of the usual banana, clove or yeast offenders. All I can really find is some lemon, which is a bit odd.

T - I really get almost none of the qualities of a Hefe from this beer. No banana, no clove, no yeast or wheat. There's a slight lemon, almost like a non-peppery saison. Wondering if I've got a bad bottle here?

M - light, with soft carbonation - reminds a little of a soft-drink in terms of texture and mouth feel.

Overall my poor experience with this beer screams out to the world that there needs to be best before dates on more bottles. I'm thinking there's no way this is the right experience for a German Hefeweizen. I'll try it again and update, but this time it just wasn't any good!

3.21/5  rDev -9.6%

A: I loved the appearance. It was poured from the bottle into a Schneider Weisse 0,5 L hefeweizen glass. Very cloudy and a nice golden orange glow with a white frothy head that quickly dissipated. This is organic and unfiltered and it showed. It gave the look of a thick, refreshing hefeweizen. Unfortunately, for me this category gets the highest rating.

S: Light and along the lines of a crisp citrus soap

T: I think a lot of people have reviewed this with the "ideal" banana & clove in mind. That's fine, but I don't think it completely ruins this beer because it doesn't punch you in the face with those classic notes. It tastes good, light citrus with just a hint of spice. No over the top b & c here. The taste was all right, the problem I had was that it just was too light of taste. I really like a strong flavor from my beer... or food for that matter

M: Watery. With the cloudy, opaque look of this stuff I was expecting (and hoping for) a little creamier or more substantial mouthfeel. I didn't really get that.

O: Really a decent beer... just don't go in expecting classic banana & clove. I had it out back in my bier garten with a brat, Stadium Mustard and potato salad. It was quite refreshing. Don't know if I'd buy it again though. It was purchased at Whole Food's in Cleveland Heights.

2.25/5  rDev -36.6%

Low white head sits atop straight a OJ clouded beer...

Smells of sweet citrus and calcium chalk

Tastes of bland wheat, hard water and lost money. Turns a little sour as it warms which is strange for the style

Mouthfeel is very light bodied and watery some light carbonation tickles the cheeks

Overall not a bad tasting beer, but definitely lacking in every department. Boring.

I hear this beer is pretty inconsistent so if you want to read other reviews on what the one I'm drinking tasted like click on the "low reviews" button of it bc the lowest reviews on this seemed to experience the same thing. Absolutely not the A rating the bros gave it in 2002.

3.11/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Murky pale golden; almost like a Witbier. The medium-large fluffy white head dissipates into decent lacings.

S: More lemon and lime than bananas - strange in a Hefeweizen. Kind of sour and dry. Far from the Hefeweizens I've had before.

T: Citric, very citric. Some ripe bananas without the sweetness. Sour and spicy.

M: Long bitter but also sour aftertaste. Body is light and carbonation mild. Smooth and refreshing.

O: Interesting; I liked it, but I wouldn't have guessed Hefeweizen in a blind test, due to that the bananas was in the back compared to the dry and citric notes.

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

I drank this from a pint glass...

The beer is very pale and murky yellow with a thin white head. The aroma is light with wheat, lemon and orange peel. It tastes of wheat with some grassy hops, bread and a citrusy finish. The beer is light and full of carbonation, the finish is crisp and dry. This is a good hefe, the flavors are kind of subtle but it is still a good beer.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

A. Got a finger of very active, fizzy head that dissipated very quickly leaving a very slight ring. Beer is a hazy, dirty gold color with a lot of bubbles rushing to the top.

S. Lemon, garden notes and wheat. I believe I detect faint traces of spice as well.

T. Interesting... I got light lemon and grassy notes, then sour took over for a bit before fading into wheat, yeast and faint spice.

M. Light bodied. Feels amazingly clean and refreshing... but it doesn't feel like a hefe-weizen, if you know what I mean, so I had to dock it for not going with the style. Finishes slightly dry.

O. As others have noted, this is an oddball hefe. Don't get me wrong, it is delicious, but the feel is off, and there is a point in the middles where it's like its trying to be a sour. Definitely worth another drink though. :)

4.48/5  rDev +26.2%

I could have sworn that I reviewed the Pinkus line of beers at one point, bottle be darned if I CAN find them!

I agitated the beer in the bottle before I poured, but even at that, I just got a finger of bone-white head that quickly became wisps. Color was a VERY cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was unlike any hefeweizen I can remember - it had a honey-like lager sweetness! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and had a lemony tartness on the tongue. I swear, I was reviewing a hefeweizen because that is what it had on the label! Man, this was right out of left field and I liked it. I will openly cop to liking any hefeweizen that does not go heavy on the banana/bubble gum esters and it is possible to do so. Finish was still slightly tart and highly refreshing. This was so unlike any of the others that I could not help but like it.

4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

A good hefeweizen, light on the flavor side but still a great great beer. Beer served in a stein. Beer is yellow and hazy with a nice white head, one finger, heavily carbonated, no real lacing but overall a great looking beer.

Aroma is sweet with mild cloves a some banana, the wheat is very present in the nose.

Beer is medium in body and wet on the finish, the whole thing is very interesting and very DRINKABLE. I could kill a keg of this stuff with no problem. The finish is wet and wonderful. Not my favorite hefeweizen out there but this is surely a great one and I'd have it again.

3.79/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a hazy, maize color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of dry hop, wheat, slight sweet malt, hint of yeast, and a hint of pale malt. Fits the style of a Hefeweizen. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of dry hop, sweet malt, slight earthy malt, slight hop, and hint of yeast. Overall, good aroma and blend.

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a cloudy straw yellow with 2.5 fingers of foamy white head

Strong citrus notes (lemon zest and orange peal) with yeast, and fresh baked wheat bread

The taste is lacking a little bit on this one. I was hoping for a much richer taste based on the look of this beer but still getting good citrus notes.

The mouthfeel of this beer makes up for what its lacking it taste. Creamy with ample amounts of carbonation. Very refreshing

Overall this was a nice treat. I think that this beer would be better classified as a wit personally but it was still a good tasting beer nonetheless. i would much rather have a Franziskaner any day...

Organic Hefe-Weizen from Brauerei Pinkus Mueller