Worthy Bourbon-Barrel Aged Doppelbock | Worthy Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Added by artoolemomo on 12-11-2013

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.87/5  rDev 0%

Appearance- Received with about a finger's worth of head which dissipates rather quickly. The head was a light beige while the body is dark maroon with hints of chestnut brown which appears as a maroon with notes of dark amber when held up to the light. No lacing at the moment.

Nose- Huge amount of coconut. Light butterscotch. Not terribly complex but there are notes of vanilla, toffee, and caramel in the background. This is mostly a coconut bomb and I hope this is reflected on the palate. Swirling shows some of the heat.

Taste- Is pretty reflective of the nose with huge notes of coconut over a base of vanilla, toffee, and caramel. A little bit thin but fortunately this shows little indication of the heat. Good flavor and fairly smooth but lacks complexity. Bourbon notes are fairly muted- there's a little bit of oak, more vanilla. I don't know if I could discern that this was bourbon barrel-aged if I didn't already have that knowledge. A little bit of grass and straw on the finish which is odd. Still, basically a good beer but a little odd for a doppelbock. The aging seems to have robbed the beer of its usual characteristics. Slight roasted malts and bits of raisin appear as it opens up. Definitely, the best beer I've had from Worthy. Glad that I can actually give them a good review.

Mouthfeel- Perhaps a little thin- a little less than medium bodied with a bit of syrup that gives it some structure. Ample carbonation.

Drinkability- Pretty easygoing for a high gravity beer. Reasonable price at 3.50 for a 250 mL pour.

Overall- A bit simplistic but the huge coconut makes this quiet enjoyable for me. It is an expected deviation from the style but if I had not information about this beer, I would guess that it was a barleywine. I would give it a try. Good, solid beer that I hope they keep brewing and getting better at it because this cold be a really good beer.

Worthy Bourbon-Barrel Aged Doppelbock from Worthy Brewing Co.