PsycHOPathy IPA | MadTree Brewing

MadTree Brewing
Ohio, United States
madtreebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The subtle malt backbone combats the bitterness and intensity of floral, grassy and citrus hop flavors. However, taste is perception. What's your slant?

Added by Brew33 on 04-09-2013

1.2/5  rDev -69.6%

2.57/5  rDev -34.9%

I purchased a six-pack from a local beer retailer in the Dayton, Ohio area (about an hour drive from the brewery, though that doesn't preclude the possibility of getting an old/defective batch). Drank from a clean pint glass. Slippery mouthfeel. About halfway through, the distinct odor of dirty feet/socks. Diacetyl ? Isovaleric acid ? Brett ? A wild yeast / bacterial infection ? As a proud Buckeye, I wanted to like this beer. It's readily available in my area, and coupled with the generally favorable reviews that Madtree & its brews receive, I will give it another shot and, hopefully, will be able to update my rating, if warranted.

2.61/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -31.6%

Not a big IPA fan unfortunately. But still something I could drink on occasion.

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.9/5  rDev -26.6%

Cincy beers are taking off. Mad Tree Psychopathy is one that gets a lot of talk in the area as ipa's are so popular.

This beer is pretty good on its own.

A very straw like color with a pure white head. It is clear that they want the hops to be the focus. A bit of haziness.

Mny beer was canned on 10/22 and enjoyed on 11/15 so freshness should not be an issue.

The smell is aggressive hops that are particularly grassy. I can smell the malt sweetness which is unexpected for such a pale beer.

The best way to describe the taste is aggressive hop grassiness.

I prefer my ipa to have more pine, citrus flavors.

I suspect this is dryhopped aggressively with pellet hops. I get these grassy hazy characteristics with my homebrews if I dry hop with a loose bag and use pellets.

Pretty good ipa on its own but it simply cannot compare to Rhinegeist Truth(a Cincy ipa that is one of the best ipa's in the country IMHO).

2.91/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Clear gold with a white frothy head.

Smell is butter, grassy grapefruit, tangerine, and hay.

Taste is bitter. Gasoline and grass, vegetal smarties with cracker.

A more recent can was more dank and lemony and improved but I can't upgrade rating yet, because the first time I had this was from a MadTree booth--why would they bring old IPA for the masses?

2.93/5  rDev -25.8%

I found this to be a very average IPA. I love the hop but this one didn't live up to the hype. As I write this, I'm sitting at the brewery, 6 feet from the tap. It is just an average beer. What a bummer. Their Galaxy High Imperial IPA is much more in line with what I expected. It's a very good beer. Psychopathy is just average.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks Kegatron for gifting me with this. Can into snifter appears a pale clear golden yellow with a white cap. The cap fades leaving spotty lace.

Aroma is solvent with alcohol, slightly fruity with hints of herbs/pine and grainy sweetness.

Taste is lightly herbal, fruity to slight pulpy bitterness and somewhat vegetal to solvent. Light grain sweetness and hints of butter.

Light body, modest carbonation. Almost feels more like an amped up pils moreso than ipa.

Drinkeable but it couldn't impress me. Just wasnt't hitting the right notes.
Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, will update if I feel different.

3.05/5  rDev -22.8%

Had on tap at Fox & Hound, Beavercreek, OH. Underwhelmed with the beer in all areas. Weak foam, weak aroma and average flavors that didn't "pop" for me. Nothing wrong with this IPA but it was nothing special.

3.07/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.08/5  rDev -22%

Much thanks to my friends Richard and Alanna for grabbing me this brew.

A: Pale yellow straw in color, with good clarity and a nice amount of white rocky head on top.

S: Pine and grapefruit peel with small notes of orange peel as well. There may even be a hint of lemon balm in there. Nice super clean hoppy smell, not a lot as far as caramel sweetness. Smells nice.

T: Clean bitterness with grapefruit being the predominant flavor. Some pine and light citrus. Not a lot as far as a malt profile goes.

M: Fairly light body, in fact a little too light. There is a nice dryness to it, but leaves the mouth wanting a bit of gravity. There is a slight oily feel from the hops and certainly an assertive bitterness.

O: The alcohol is in there somewhere, but it isn't too obvious. For me the flavor is a little one note, it's hoppy, and that's about it. It's bordering on a little watery for me, and the lack of malt flavor makes it seem like a one trick pony.

3.11/5  rDev -21.3%

3.14/5  rDev -20.5%

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.18/5  rDev -19.5%