PsycHOPathy IPA | MadTree Brewing

MadTree Brewing
Ohio, United States
madtreebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The subtle malt backbone combats the bitterness and intensity of floral, grassy and citrus hop flavors. However, taste is perception. What's your slant?

Added by Brew33 on 04-09-2013

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had it on tap and was amazed. Tastes fresh and crisp, very clean and pleasant. It's an easy-drinking IPA. The second time I had it out of a can and was a little disappointed but hey an IPA in a can isn't perfect. I would try to pour it into a glass next time. One of my favorites.

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can into a snifter. Transparent light gold in color with a super-sticky head of white foam, 1 finger's width in height. Very cool details in the foam - reminded me of looking at the moon. Good carbonation. Amazing clarity. Somewhat weak aroma - hard to pick out anything specific aside from grapefruit/mango and citrus. Medium weight, and a very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Wow. Sweet malt, grapefruit/mango and pine resin up front on the taste. A beautiful hoppy character comes to life on the back end with a perfect amount of bitterness. Finishes smooth and leaves a dry-hopped bitter aftertaste with notes of pine and grapefruit lingering.

Overall, very good. Probably the best beer I've had from Madtree. A little on the sweet side, but plenty of pine and hops for anybody who likes a piney IPA. I dare say that I liked this better than Citra High. In fact, this may be my favorite local IPA. Well done.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%

3.94/5  rDev 0%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was a solid, enjoyable IPA. Nothing really stood out either positively or negatively, for what it's worth. A good option when out in a bar, but not worth seeking out.

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

Ah, The CANQuest (tm) is an unCANtrollable beast these days! I unleashed it, thinking that I CAN CANtrol its movements, only to realize that the CAN wags the man and NOT vice versa. It is driving me mad!

From the CAN: "Madness in a CAN. Embrace the madness. Embrace the CANs."; "Drink Hoppy"; "The "; "Illustration: Margaret Weiner [;] Treemark: Christopher Daniel [;] CAN Design: John Pattison".

I heard a nice loud Crack! and as I CANmenced the Glug, I was forcefully interrupted by two nice gentlemen in white coats who put me into an I-Love-Me jacket and hauled me off to LGH for PsycHOPathy in a lovely padded, rubber room. I explained to my roommate, Norman Bates, that just like him, I wouldn't hurt a fly. I have been known to kill a beer or two, as Mother CAN attest, but mad? Me? Drinking a Winter Warmer in the summer isn't a crime. It gave me time to reflect back on the finger of foamy, off-white head that developed and then fell, leaving nice lacing in its wake. I remember well its Golden-Amber color (SRM = > 5, < 7) with its NE-quality clarity and how those Golden Madmen, Croesus, Mammon and Midas paid me a visit. Perhaps they will visit me here as I am told that I am on an extended stay. I CANsider the whiff of succulent hops that I got upon putting my nose in the glass as they burst in my front door and my mouth waters. The mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I initially CANfused it with a DIPA as they wrested the glass from my hands. Looking back, the intensity of the hops may have been what precipitated my howling like a wolf in heat, but it simply could not be helped! The various flavors as outlined on the CAN just took 'hold like nothing else. "Floral, grassy, and citrus", indeed! Why don't they put warning labels on these CANs? I must ask my PsycHOPathist during our next session. The finish was dry. Gaspingly dry, although in fairness, that may have been due to the chokehold that was being applied to my throat. Ooh, they are coming with a syringe! I do hope that it is filled with hop oil as I am beginning to jones and need a fix. Please, sir, CAN I have another?

3.54/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +2%

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Drinkeable but it couldn't impress me. Just wasnt't hitting the right notes.
Maybe I'll give it another try at some point, will update if I feel different.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

3.61/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Big citrus and pine. Really oily and delicious. Cans seem to be taking over. I would certainly get this again, I just wish I didn't have to go out of state to get it.

PsycHOPathy IPA from MadTree Brewing