Gnarly Brown | MadTree Brewing

MadTree Brewing
Ohio, United States
madtreebrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Specialty malts bring intimations of brown sugar and vanilla which meld into the Gnarly's character. Roasted coffee malt flavors and residual sweetness dance in harmony, obscuring the line between brown ale and porter.

Added by meanmutt on 04-24-2013

This is one of the best beers in Cincinnati. It is full flavored and has a beautiful dark color. This beer makes the perfect gift for an out of town friend. I recommended stopping by the brewery and filling up a growler to take home. Madtree has an exceptional selection. I celebrate this brewery's entire line-up.

So sad this is being taken off the shelves. I stock up on this brown for when my friends come to visit, as it is their favorite brown ale. Wonderfully done. Bit more hops than a typical brown. Flavorful, beautiful color, smells great

Its good. Really effin good.

Easily my favorite brown ale. Dark brown color. Has more head than most browns but goes away quickly. Deep Malty smell. Great out of a can, but draft is superior.

4.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Roasty, Nutty, Coffee. Think of it as a a good friend on a cool evening. BTW the transition from morning coffee to Gnarly Brown is seamless.

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

This is one bad-ass beer! I always have a few on hand, cold and ready to go; it's my go-to.

The best thing about it? Uniqueness.

This beer blurs the lines between Brown Ale, Porter, and Black IPA.
This beer blurs the lines between bitter and sweet. A great balance.

When you drink it, your palate goes for a ride. First, the Cascade and Chinook hops find their way to your sensory, then, all of a sudden, the malts steal the show! 2-Row, Victory, Extra Special Brown, Pale Chocolate, Roasted Barley... wow. A bit of a fuller mouthfeel than most "brown ales", and a hoppy, coffee finish have you thinking it may almost be a Porter. But, wait, at first it tasted like a Black IPA... nah, these malts are dancing perfectly together... that's definitely one gnarly brown ale- a fitting name for a beer, eh?

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

4.46/5  rDev +12.9%

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Canned 6/10/2015 enjoyed 7/21/2015 in a pint glass.

Look - Light brown almost red body. Lighter tan very very fine bubbled head. Spotty lacing, no rings. It almost looks nitro.

Smell - Sweet, roasted malt. Faint citrus. Faint hops. Earth. Caramel.

Taste - I always say a a hoppy porter or stout is 1/4 IPA. Well, this is 1/5. Light hops. Caramel. Malt. Chocolate. Light coffee.

Feel - So creamy. Not too heavy. No alcohol or bitterness on tongue.

Overall - Up until this point I have gone for the rare MadTree beers. I've had the barrel aged version but not the regular version. I am trying not to be biased but this a really good beer.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a great brown ale. Nice malty somewhat leafy nose. Great flavor profile. The flavor lingers and evolves long after I put the glass down. Goes from richly malty with a mild tang and then leaves a dried leaf tone with strong wood. Really a superb beer. One of my all-time favorite brown ales. Wish I had grabbed more.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good brown ale. Rich, brown color with nice head. Smells malty, sweet, and maybe a bit of alcohol. Taste is very, umm, "gnarly brown". I'm into it. And I especially love that it comes in cans so it can be taken on rafting trips or wherever you choose.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We just found this beer. We were looking for a good beer in cans and thought we'd give it a try. It has very interesting favors, feels light in the mouth. Hearty enough it will go with spicy foods.

4.34/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (tm) is barreling along, currently focused on beers from the Queen City, thanks to a great trade earlier this year. I am listening to a couple of baseball games as I drink these beers. Ah, summertime!

From the CAN: "Gnarly By Nature. Gnarly By Choice. CAN You Dig It?"; "Specialty malts bring intimations of brown sugar and vanilla which meld into the Gnarly's character. Roasted coffe malt flavors and residual sweetness dance in harmony, obscuring the line between brown ale and porter."

That last just inspired me, but I'll come back to that idea. In the interim, nothing CAN happen until the Crack! occurs. I had a successful, loud Crack! and celebrated with an inverted Glug. This worked well, producing three fingers of fluffy, light-brown head with modest retention which left some nice lacing as it fell. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity and ruby highlights. Nose was rich with scents of coffee and chocolate. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, approaching, but not achieving, creaminess. The flavor was more chocolate than coffee, although there was also some of that. Brown sugar? Maybe, although I would not necessarily have said that. Vanilla? CAN't prove it by me. Finish straddled the line between semi-sweet and semi-dry. It was on the extreme finish that I began to pick up notes of vanilla. Allow me to be frank. I am self-avowed hophead, mainly because I eschew sweets. For that reason, Browns and Porters tend to get glossed over by me, but I really liked this one. Warming, I tasted freshly-baked brownies! Oh, my.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really a wonderful brown. Remunds me of Tumbler but no smoke. Same rich, robust caramel and light chocolate taste though.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Gnarly Brown from MadTree Brewing